Champion 703SF vs Crucial 6'8 M/XF

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Champion 703SF vs Crucial 6'8 M/XF

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm looking for a quality spinning setup since I'm sorely lacking in that department. Currently the only spinning rod I use regularly is a 6'9 M/Fast Abu Vengeance. It's ok but the rod is heavy with a very stiff tip--works well for wacky rigging but not shaky heads and much less dropshot. Today at a local store I spotted a great deal on two rods:

Crucial DS 6'8 M/XF - $100
Champion 703sf - $160

Since the dropshot is such a popular presentation here in the summer (fished in 20-30'+ clear water) I had originally intended to grab the Crucial. After handling it in stores, however, it felt a bit weaker than expected with a very technique specific tip/action. The 703sf on the other hand balanced great, seemed to have a nice action/power and felt very comfortable. I guess it boils down to two questions:

1) Is the Crucial DS rod going to fish anything else well (specifically a shaky head)? Or is it going to excel with a DS but feel lacking in other techniques?
2) How well would the 703sf do with a dropshot when needed? Any comments or suggestions in general about the rod and its strengths/weaknesses?

To me, the Dobyns felt like the superior rod (but should due to price difference) and was my immediate favorite. I don't want a rod to dropshot exclusively, but at the same time I don't want a rod similarr to the Vengeance. Just from handling the rod it feels like the 703sf has a lot of tip action with a good backbone--just like my 734c. I'm thinking the 703sf would be great for shaky heads (1/8-3/16oz) but still be able to dropshot effectively when needed. Am I on track with this decision?

Canuckbass
Angler
Angler

Re: Champion 703SF vs Crucial 6'8 M/XF

Post by Canuckbass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 am

To me, I have always stayed away from Crucials as I have seen a few break. I have always loved Shimano but something about the Crucials that I have seen about 6" of the tips break a few times. I like the Compre alot better as they have stood up to the test many times for years.
Dobyns Champion 703SF is true rod that is balanced and perfect for drop shotting, I have never heard anything negative about these rods and will be looking at them closely prior to our season opener.

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 am

If your going to be drop shotting in 20 to 30 feet of water I would use the 7' 2" Curcial rod. I have the 6' 8" and 7' 2" and use them both for drop shotting and shakey heads as well as other finesse type applications and have never had a problem with any of my Crucial rods.

SJ

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:50 am

Not too worried about breakage issues. I think it can happen with any rod and doesn't necessarily reflect the entire line.

In a previous thread I posted the 7'2 Crucial was suggested also for deeper water. The problem is they only have the 6'8 on sale and I'm trying to stick with 7' rods as my Dobyns 7'3 rods are a hassle in the rod locker.

Thread could have probably been titled better as what I'm really trying to find out is how well the 703sf will work as a dropshot rod when needed. It's not a technique I use often but would like to start. I'm really trying to cut down on "single use" rods however, so I can save space and also go with quality over quantity. The only reason I'm considering the Crucial is because of all the good comments I've heard, I'm just afraid the rod will end up being very technique specific and lacking in other presentations.

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

I think you would be ok with the 703SF as a dropshot rod. I don't do a whole lot of dropshotting here but..... I bought my Champion 703SF as a light TX rig rod and nothing more for throwing those little worms and the like with 1/16 oz weights. Things like that. Then I got it and had some experience with it. That rod does a lot of different things well! I think the tip is definitely soft enough to dropshot with. It really excels at shaky rigs, the aforementioned light T-rigs, lighter tubes and the like. If you are looking for a general purpose spinning rod, you found it!

By the way, if you need a reel to go with it too, check Gander Mountain if you have one close by. They have last year's Excelers on sale for $39, at least here locally. The 2000 balances perfectly on that rod.
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm

flywatersmallie wrote:I think you would be ok with the 703SF as a dropshot rod. I don't do a whole lot of dropshotting here but..... I bought my Champion 703SF as a light TX rig rod and nothing more for throwing those little worms and the like with 1/16 oz weights. Things like that. Then I got it and had some experience with it. That rod does a lot of different things well! I think the tip is definitely soft enough to dropshot with. It really excels at shaky rigs, the aforementioned light T-rigs, lighter tubes and the like. If you are looking for a general purpose spinning rod, you found it!

By the way, if you need a reel to go with it too, check Gander Mountain if you have one close by. They have last year's Excelers on sale for $39, at least here locally. The 2000 balances perfectly on that rod.
That's what I was thinking, that the 703sf would be a great all around rod for most of those techniques. The Crucial DS is the one I'm most worried about, how is it going to handle other duties like shaky heads, small tx rigs etc. I just don't want to be stuck with a rod for dropshotting that is not going to feel right using other techniques. Right now I'm trying to decide if I need an all around w/ the ability to dropshot rod or a strictly dropshot rod...unless I hear some more feedback about the Crucial in other situations.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm

If we are talking only about those two models....

The 703SF would be a better all around finesse rod. The Crucial the better dropshot rod. The 703SF would be a better dropshot rod than the Crucial would be an all around finesse rod.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:56 pm

civicrr wrote:If we are talking only about those two models....

The 703SF would be a better all around finesse rod. The Crucial the better dropshot rod. The 703SF would be a better dropshot rod than the Crucial would be an all around finesse rod.
Unfortunately those are the only two models on sale, I don't think they even have a 702sf in store or I might try and talk him into a deal on that one. I've been considering asking if I can get a 733c for the same price as the 766c on sale ($180) :lol:

Thanks for the response, you somehow managed to extract the core question from my rambling post and answer it succinctly. =D>

Moss Boss
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Moss Boss » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 am

Both too heavy IMO. I did a ton of dropshotting last summer on the Great Lakes for smallies, and I used ML and M 7 footers, and the ML far outshone the M for dropshotting. In fact, if I were buying a new dropshot rod, I would buy a Dobyns 762SF. I really like the Champion Extreme better, but the Champions are nice too. I used 2 Dobyns Champions, a St. Croix, a Okuma, and a custom rod for dropshotting work last summer and I prefer the Dobyns.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Moss Boss wrote:Both too heavy IMO. I did a ton of dropshotting last summer on the Great Lakes for smallies, and I used ML and M 7 footers, and the ML far outshone the M for dropshotting. In fact, if I were buying a new dropshot rod, I would buy a Dobyns 762SF. I really like the Champion Extreme better, but the Champions are nice too. I used 2 Dobyns Champions, a St. Croix, a Okuma, and a custom rod for dropshotting work last summer and I prefer the Dobyns.
Maybe if I was strictly dropshotting I could see that, but I would really like a rod that can dropshot well and also throw finesse plastics. I will probably be going to the store tomorrow, handling both again (if they're still there) and then choosing one on the spot. Seems like both will fill a nice hole in my arsenal but I'm still concerned how the Crucial will do with other finesse baits in general. May see if I can make a few casts at the store. :lol: