Which rod manufacturer has the BEST variety of actions?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

G.Loomis
30%
Shimano
1%
Daiwa
No votes
St. Croix
8%
Kistler
No votes
Powell
7%
Dobyns
54%

Total votes: 74

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:14 am

Don't yell at me for leaving someone out... these were the top 7 brands from the "Which is your favorite rod company?" poll on here. So you guys picked them - now I'm picking them apart. I'm now dissecting what it is about these specific brands that you love...

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Which rod manufacturer has the BEST variety of actions?

Post by bladerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:22 am

The way G.Loomis organizes their rods and actions on their website is garbage. Everything is mixed together - even different lines of rods. I can't make sense of it. Shimano owns them now anyway - so maybe we should call it Shimano/G.Loomis rods...

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:36 am

I voted Powell. Their lineup is pretty comprehensive.

I could have voted for Dobyns, as their are many similarities between the two, but I don't own any.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:02 pm

bassbandit wrote:I voted Powell. Their lineup is pretty comprehensive.

I could have voted for Dobyns, as their are many similarities between the two, but I don't own any.
There are a lot of similarities between those 2 companies...

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 am

Alright - I went to work on all the manufacturers websites last night in-between bottle-feeding my newborn twins :-({|= I came to the conclusion G.Loomis still offers the most variety of actions hands-down. But I will say their website is one of the WORST I've ever seen for a premium company - just as bad as lucky-crafts. St. Croix still is the gold standard for rod websites.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 am

It doesn't surprise me to seem Loomis out infront here. I think they used to have a huge material advantage, but now I think that gap has closed and their advantage lies in using the right tapers and just the overall design of the blanks.

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:01 am

I`m a St. Coix fan but this is one area I feel they are lacking in their Extreme and Elite lineups. They did expand the Extremes this year but to me there are some holes to fill.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 am

Again it is Gloomis. But...sometimes less is more. I'd prefer one rod that can be versatile versus a rod for each technique. Some of us just don't have the funds. :crying:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:24 am

bladerunner wrote:Alright - I went to work on all the manufacturers websites last night in-between bottle-feeding my newborn twins :-({|= I came to the conclusion G.Loomis still offers the most variety of actions hands-down. But I will say their website is one of the WORST I've ever seen for a premium company - just as bad as lucky-crafts. St. Croix still is the gold standard for rod websites.
G.Loomis might offer the "most" actions, but in your original post you asked, "Which rod manufacturer has the BEST variety of actions?" I know they are very similar questions, but it's not really the same thing.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:Again it is Gloomis. But...sometimes less is more. I'd prefer one rod that can be versatile versus a rod for each technique. Some of us just don't have the funds. :crying:
AMEN. I couldn't agree more. In that regard I like a Powell or a Dobyns over a G.loomis or St. Croix.