Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Camofish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass

Post by Camofish » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm currently considering purchasing the Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass crank bait rod. I would most likely pair it with a Chronarch 51mg or a Calcutta TE GT 51 using 10 - 12lb mono/flouro or 30lb Samurai braid. This set up would be used mainly in open water situations targeting both bass and the occasional striper. I''d like use this rod primarily for throwing Pointer 100's, Flash Minnow 110's, Sammy 115's, 3/8 - 1/2 oz spinnerbaits, and LV 500's. I would also like to use this rod for throwing smaller baits like Pointer 78's and 1/4 oz Speed Traps. Based on all of the information above, do you think this is the right rod for the job(s)? If not, why, and what would you recommend? Thanks!

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass

Post by Steve Williams » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:06 pm

The 705 CBMF Glass rod is a GREAT cranking stick. It will handle a wide range of lures. It can realistically handle 1/4-1oz crankbaits. However, for the baits you listed, I'd recommend the 705CB Glass. It has a faster action and will enable you to work the jerkbaits better than the MF rod in my opinion. I like a fast action rod for jerkbaits, traps and spinnerbaits. I like the MF rod for big cranks in open water but have also used it for square bills. The mod fast will cast the 1/4oz baits better, but for the majority of the baits you listed I think the 705CB Glass would fit better.

You would probably be fine with the MF rod but I think you'd get better action out of your baits with the 705 CB Glass.

Maybe more folks will chime in to give you more opinions on the fast versus mod fast actions...

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Steve Williams wrote:The 705 CBMF Glass rod is a GREAT cranking stick. It will handle a wide range of lures. It can realistically handle 1/4-1oz crankbaits. However, for the baits you listed, I'd recommend the 705CB Glass. It has a faster action and will enable you to work the jerkbaits better than the MF rod in my opinion. I like a fast action rod for jerkbaits, traps and spinnerbaits. I like the MF rod for big cranks in open water but have also used it for square bills. The mod fast will cast the 1/4oz baits better, but for the majority of the baits you listed I think the 705CB Glass would fit better.

You would probably be fine with the MF rod but I think you'd get better action out of your baits with the 705 CB Glass.

Maybe more folks will chime in to give you more opinions on the fast versus mod fast actions...
I agree. I have all the glass rods. I think the 705CB glass has a better action for ripping. It is much faster than the 705CBMF which I like for 8' to 12' divers in moderate cover.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Steve Williams wrote:The 705 CBMF Glass rod is a GREAT cranking stick. It will handle a wide range of lures. It can realistically handle 1/4-1oz crankbaits. However, for the baits you listed, I'd recommend the 705CB Glass. It has a faster action and will enable you to work the jerkbaits better than the MF rod in my opinion. I like a fast action rod for jerkbaits, traps and spinnerbaits. I like the MF rod for big cranks in open water but have also used it for square bills. The mod fast will cast the 1/4oz baits better, but for the majority of the baits you listed I think the 705CB Glass would fit better.

Spot ON advice!!!
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:05 pm

I agree as well. :D

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:57 am

i agree as well. you don't want to be working a jerkbait or a walk-the-dog bait with a moderate or mod-fast action...too much work! MF is great for for medium to deep divers though and some people actually prefer and slow taper for spinnerbaits (e.g., the lamiglas gerald beck 'crank-n-blade rod is an absolute noodle!).

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:52 am

I agree the 705cb glass does do a great job with those bait, hard to believe its a glass rod ,it sensitive for glass.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 am

Very good point Steve. The 705 CB glass would work better, like other posts have said its a faster action and will be better to work the jerkbaits with.

Camofish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Camofish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your comments and information. I took your advice and ended up going with the 705 CB Glass. I pretty much went from reading your posts, to the tackle shop, and then straight to the lake :D It's an awesome stick that feels great and worked the baits I listed in my original post perfectly. Thanks again!

Camofish

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm

:D

Peacheater81
Angler
Angler

Post by Peacheater81 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:37 am