kistler micro magnesium

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassohol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: kistler micro magnesium

Post by bassohol » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 am

I have one of the non-micro models. I bought it directly from Kistler at the end of last year when they were bringing in the 2011 models and clearing out the 2010 models. I got it for $85 with free shipping. So, you can definitely get them cheap if you're patient.

It has been a decent rod for that price, but it hasn't been anything special. I'm trying to get rid of it right now. If the micro guides aren't a huge thing for you, I'd get a Dobyns Savvy or a Powell in that price range. If you're looking for rods with micro guides, there are better alternatives for around that price, in my opinion. I'd probably go with a Falcon Cara Micro, but that's just me.

All in all, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the rod. I've used mine only for pitching jigs so far and it has done that well. It is as sensitive as you can expect from a $150 rod, but it just doesn't feel as good in my hand as other rods. As mentioned, it is a little tip heavy, and that coupled with the fact that it isn't the lightest rod around makes it a bit uncomfortable to fish. I don't know how much of that the micros will alleviate, but I wouldn't think it would make a very big difference.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 am

The TT staff gave the rod a very favorable review. I personally don't like the way that the handle is shaped. I've held rods with similar handle shapes and it just feels so bulky that I don't think I would ever feel comfortable fishing it. I noticed that they didn't fish very many bottom contact baits with the rod that TT reviewed though...makes me a little skeptical...

As far as the issues that people have come across with Kistler...the biggest one is that their rods get discontinued very quickly. This means that while you pay close to retail today for the rod...probably in a few months it will be liquidated for 1/2 off.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:00 am

godshippy wrote:As far as the issues that people have come across with Kistler...the biggest one is that their rods get discontinued very quickly. This means that while you pay close to retail today for the rod...probably in a few months it will be liquidated for 1/2 off.
I knew the rods seemed to change frequently, but didn't realize they could be had so inexpensively. Makes me wonder what I could have paid for my 08 LTA Helium. :crying:

Anyway, my 6' 9" MH has worked well as a swim-jig and big spinnerbait rod. Mostly tip down tactics, but I can kill a swim jig and bounce it down a ledge decently when needed. That said, it will prolly be the next in line to be upgraded next year. Then again, maybe not, since I paid the price... :oops:
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:30 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:geez that doesnt sound very convincing at all..TT sort of compares them to the Gloomis glx, any thoughts on this?
Data from the MBR783C GLX2000 was offered as a baseline comparison in all "Search For One..." rod reviews and is provided as a standard against which to evaluate how an "All Purpose" type rod should feel in terms of weight, balance, and deflection. To take from that comparison that the Kistler Mg TS line, or any other rod in the "Search For One..." campaign compares favorably or unfavorably to GLX in terms of on the water PERFORMANCE is incorrect.

Beyond the comparisons of lab data, each rod stands on its own in terms of performance.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:46 am

Cal wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:geez that doesnt sound very convincing at all..TT sort of compares them to the Gloomis glx, any thoughts on this?
Data from the MBR783C GLX2000 was offered as a baseline comparison in all "Search For One..." rod reviews and is provided as a standard against which to evaluate how an "All Purpose" type rod should feel in terms of weight, balance, and deflection. To take from that comparison that the Kistler Mg TS line, or any other rod in the "Search For One..." campaign compares favorably or unfavorably to GLX in terms of on the water PERFORMANCE is incorrect.

Beyond the comparisons of lab data, each rod stands on its own in terms of performance.
Oh wait... are you referring to the original Kistler Mg TS review? Direct comparisons in that article were made against a standard MBR783C GLX, yes. At that time, the lab data was all still new to us. A couple of things to take from that now:

1) The Mg TS rod in that review was simply a slightly heavier power than the MBR783C GLX.

2) Kistler has changed the original spec on the Mg TS with regards to components. The original Mg TS had Batson guides with zirconia inserts on it (I think) ... the current, standard Mg rods have Fuji Hardloys. The blanks are probably different at this point in time as well rendering the original review obsolete.

3) Your question surrounds the Micro Mg TS rods... in either case, the micro guided rod will outperform their standards spec'd counterparts. The question you need to answer for yourself is are micros right for you.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 am

yeah I wasnt planning on buying one brand new, I was offered a trade for a reel for a barely used microguide version, but I honestly dont really want it. I have way to many rods anyway.

p.s. Cal you da man
stress-what happens between fishing trips

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 am

i own the spinnig models,while nice rods i would compare them to the dobyns savvy line..( i own both rods and have fished them side by side) .if you can buy the rod at 1/2 off id say go for it, i was burned by Kistler i oringally purchased the higher end LTA, the rod broke on a hook set 2 guides down form the tip, the fish that caused the damage was no more than 2lbs, first time i have ever had a rod break on me, after about a month of waiting for a replacement i was told by Kistler that the LTA was discountinued and was offered a magnesium, i advised them that i did not want to step down, so after another week of emailing back and forth, they offered and i settled for the micro mag, paid $70 replacement fee and 2 months later i see the LTA is available again, i dont know if im just a victim of bad timing but i warrantied a rod to recieve a lesser model and was not offered any type of discount on the shipping or replacement fee...they did however offer me $50 off a Zbone rod, which i thought was a joke, so i paid 249.99 for my lta that broke after 5 outings, dropped $70 for replacement costs. so im in $319.99 for a a rod that retails for $189.99....ohh and a few weeks later Kistler blows out there inventory and is selling the rod for $85..so now i have a rod that i will be lucky to get $80 for if i plan on reselling it, again the rod itself is decent,but nothing better than a Powell or Dobyns Savvy, if you insist on buying a kistler i would not pay retail for it, they can be found on auction sites for half price which is not a bad deal, but unless i am getting one for free, i dont plan on supporting Kistler anytime soon..
You must unlearn what you have learned

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 am

I've owned a boatfull of Kistlers over the years, and a few Magnesium series too. They're a decent rod. Right now though for the same amount of money you can do better... I'm not going to bash or hate on Kistler, there's a plethra of info out there on everyones opinions, issues, etc.. If it feels good in your hand buy it and give it a try.. You might be suprised....
Pmedicbm