BSR803, spinning

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BSR803, spinning

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 am

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the G.Loomis BSR803 Jig and Worm spinning rod. It is a Medium-Heavy rated for 8-14lb line similar to many other MH rods but the spec'd lure range is 1/16 to 5/16. Is this because Loomis rated it based on the leadhead weight one might use in conjunction with the plastic?

What I really want to know is how close is this rod to other MH spinning rods, can it's use be extended past the jig and worm realm.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BSR803, spinning

Post by DavidSA » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:32 am

Bob- the loomis jig/worm series is in general a very fast action class of rod. Many makers claim ex-fast action but these really are. Loomis tends to set lower lure weight ratings on most all of them. If you push past the lure rating on some of rods they will load strangly during the cast.

I have the BSR852 GLX. For me this is the only spinning rod I'd care to own. I think the upper end on this rod is 3/8oz and this appears to be about right. Now on the fish landing side of it guys report catching 40# barracuda on the 852 so it has very nice backbone but fast and thin tip.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:24 pm

DavidSA wrote:I have the BSR852 GLX. For me this is the only spinning rod I'd care to own. I think the upper end on this rod is 3/8oz and this appears to be about right. Now on the fish landing side of it guys report catching 40# barracuda on the 852 so it has very nice backbone but fast and thin tip.
stop it please!! I told myself I don't need another rod but can't stop thinking I may just HAVE TO HAVE
either the BSR802 or 852. You talking it up just ain't helpin!!!!! :big grin:

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:06 am

RGMatt wrote:
DavidSA wrote:I have the BSR852 GLX. For me this is the only spinning rod I'd care to own. I think the upper end on this rod is 3/8oz and this appears to be about right. Now on the fish landing side of it guys report catching 40# barracuda on the 852 so it has very nice backbone but fast and thin tip.
stop it please!! I told myself I don't need another rod but can't stop thinking I may just HAVE TO HAVE

I'd strongly suggest you pass on the 802 and go for the BSR852. Recall the 852 is a senko rod and has a bigger then avg. butt for a medium power rod yet a very slender tip that lets you cast a weightless jerkbait into the next township. The BSR852 lands fish as well as any MH spinning rod I've owned and yet has the tip of a Medium rod. When I finally came to understand the rod it became the only spinning rod I'd care to own other then maybe the NRX version.

One thing I'd like to share with anyone thinking of a BSR spinning rod is that I tried and hated 8 and 10# pure FC on this rod. Basically the FC comes off any spinning reel I own somewhat kinked and that hits the guides making a terrible sound and taking 50% of the distance away. I have one spool with 6# pure FC and that seems to work OK. Most of the time though I use 15# braid. I have not had luck with back to back uni-knots with small diameter lines so I tie a very small swival 18 to 24 inches up in the line an use a 8 to 12# FC for the last leg. I do not reel the swivel through my guides. Also one more note on the 852. I pitch with it 80% of the time. The tip makes this delivery approach very very effective. I can pitch with this rod and braid a very long way.

I would recommend you buy as a cost savings. You will sell all the other spinning rods :lol:

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 am

DavidSA wrote:
RGMatt wrote:

I'd strongly suggest you pass on the 802 and go for the BSR852. Recall the 852 is a senko rod and has a bigger then avg. butt for a medium power rod yet a very slender tip that lets you cast a weightless jerkbait into the next township. The BSR852 lands fish as well as any MH spinning rod I've owned and yet has the tip of a Medium rod. When I finally came to understand the rod it became the only spinning rod I'd care to own other then maybe the NRX version.

What baits are you generally fishing with this rod? Is it capable of handling 5 inch Senko's unweighted?

One thing I'd like to share with anyone thinking of a BSR spinning rod is that I tried and hated 8 and 10# pure FC on this rod. Basically the FC comes off any spinning reel I own somewhat kinked and that hits the guides making a terrible sound and taking 50% of the distance away. I have one spool with 6# pure FC and that seems to work OK. Most of the time though I use 15# braid. I have not had luck with back to back uni-knots with small diameter lines so I tie a very small swival 18 to 24 inches up in the line an use a 8 to 12# FC for the last leg. I do not reel the swivel through my guides. Also one more note on the 852. I pitch with it 80% of the time. The tip makes this delivery approach very very effective. I can pitch with this rod and braid a very long way.

I would recommend you buy as a cost savings. You will sell all the other spinning rods :lol:
Is this rod capable of handling 5 inch Senko's unweighted?
Last edited by bassbandit on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:21 am

Great now you did it ](*,) Flukes were exactly what I had in mind for it. I'd be fishing 15lb braid too! So no backbone on the 802 or more like med action backbone? How would it compare to a SC LES68MXF , backbone wise? I'd asume it has a lighter tip than the SC too?

Matt

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:25 pm

bassbandit wrote:[

Yes, Woud not work with a 6 but has the range to include 5's. I had 10 bass in the 4-6lb range last summer at Lake Okeechobee fishing 5 inch senko over scattered hydrilla. Was down in early March fishing a BPS 6'6MH spinning rod and concluded the BSR852 had every bit as much backbone/maybe more. The difference is they BSR has a lighter tip.

I have not fished the LES68MXF but owned the LES63MXF. The BSR has much more tip then the 6'3xfast St Croix and more backbone. When I set the hook with the 6'3MeFast it hurt my right wrist after a while as the tip was about as stout as the butt.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm

I've heard that about the LES63MXF. The 68MXF has a nice tip to it though.

thanks for all the info

Matt

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 pm

DavidSA wrote:
bassbandit wrote:[

Yes, Woud not work with a 6 but has the range to include 5's. I had 10 bass in the 4-6lb range last summer at Lake Okeechobee fishing 5 inch senko over scattered hydrilla. Was down in early March fishing a BPS 6'6MH spinning rod and concluded the BSR852 had every bit as much backbone/maybe more. The difference is they BSR has a lighter tip.

I have not fished the LES68MXF but owned the LES63MXF. The BSR has much more tip then the 6'3xfast St Croix and more backbone. When I set the hook with the 6'3MeFast it hurt my right wrist after a while as the tip was about as stout as the butt.
Thanks for the feedback David.

Each of the past three years I have found myself fishing 4 and 5 inch wacky rigged Senko's more and more. I prefer to fish them on spinning gear and have been thinking of upgrading to something nicer than my current setup. I've had a difficult time deciding which direction I want to go, but I'll have to keep the BSR852 in mind.