Cabelas Prodigy MicroGuide

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BassCatDan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cabelas Prodigy MicroGuide

Post by BassCatDan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Does anyone have any information regarding the Cabelas Prodigy line, either the Micro guides or the conventional guides?

They have a really nice sale on them right now. How would they compare to the Carbonlite, Vendetta, or Veritas?

I want something very light at a mid-range (for me) price.

Thanks,
Dan
....just another fish-a-holic.

buzzin frog
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Cabelas Prodigy MicroGuide

Post by buzzin frog » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I had the conventional guided rod and for the price it seemed sensitive with flouroclear even on long casts. I could feel most of the bites on a wacky rig with this rod. The only thing I didn't like was the craftmenship on the rod, the tag ends of the guide wraps were easily seen, but for a $100 rod assembled overseas this isn't too uncommon from what I've heard.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 pm

I have a few and also a Carbonlite and a Vendetta. For the sale price, they are ok, but at regular price, the other two are better. The actions are a little slow to me, and they are heavier than the Carbonlite. Of the three I mentioned, I definitely prefer the Carbonlite. It has a crisp feeling that the other two lack.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 pm

BassCatDan wrote:Does anyone have any information regarding the Cabelas Prodigy line, either the Micro guides or the conventional guides?

They have a really nice sale on them right now. How would they compare to the Carbonlite, Vendetta, or Veritas?

I want something very light at a mid-range (for me) price.

Thanks,
Dan
I bought the Cabelas 7'0" MH Prodigy Micro Guide Casting rod. Returned it 2 weeks later. Bought Cumara's instead. The Prodigy Micro Guide is probably a good starter rod for Micro Guides but if you are looking for Micro Guides only, Lamiglass has one that is probably better for $120 - a little more expensive. Otherwise, you are better off with the Veritas. Veritas has Titanium Guides with SIC Inserts. As I have stated before, you cannot find that on $100 rods. Titanium Guides with SIC inserts are usually reserved for $200+ rods and mostly for high end rods.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 am

I wish they(cabelas) would have put micros on a line of XML's. The XML's are excellent rods for the price and you can add weights to the butt for better balance if you wish.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:57 pm

I own a 6'6"MH Prodigy with conventional guides and have had no issues with it. I use it for jigs, spinnerbaits, and beavers. For $59 or $79(micros) you can't beat this rod. It is pretty sensitive with fluorocarbon line IMO. The Carbonlite is nice but their is not that much difference in weight once you get a reel, line, and a lure on the end to justify the added price. And you won't see some of the other rods on sale. Cabela's 100% guarantee can't be beat if it breaks or you don't like it either. Decide for yourself but I think it is worth it.