STEEZ 7' MED FLE-X-LITE opinions PLEASE

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bluegill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

STEEZ 7' MED FLE-X-LITE opinions PLEASE

Post by bluegill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 am

I handled this rod & liked it. How would it be for 100 & 200 bandits, 1/2oz fat free shad, & 1/2oz rattle traps. I have a loomis cbr845 which I like but this rod is really cool. I would appreciate opinions on this rod & these lures. How does it compare to the loomis crankbait rods ?

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: STEEZ 7' MED FLE-X-LITE opinions PLEASE

Post by SPAZ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

This is my favorite rod for shallow to medium diving cranks. I normally throw Bandit 100/200 and Rick Clunn 1.5's with it. In my eyes it's perfect for this use.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:58 am

SPAZ wrote:This is my favorite rod for shallow to medium diving cranks. I normally throw Bandit 100/200 and Rick Clunn 1.5's with it. In my eyes it's perfect for this use.
Have you ever thrown 3/8 & 1/2 oz dbl willow spinnerbaits with this rod? I'm trying to decide if the 7' M or the 7'2" MH will be the "all around" moving bait rod I'm looking for.

I have a 7' MH TDS glass rod now, and love it other than the weight. It works good for me for all of the cranks I throw plus I like it for spinnerbaits. The ratings on the 7' M STZ and the TDS are almost the same, so I'm hoping they perform similar.

Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Birdi23nls » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:17 am

I just bought one from another member a few months ago. I love mine. I bought to throw staycee 90's and shallow and medium cranks. It does a great job with all of these type baits. I personally don't like throwing spinnerbaits on cranking rods.
Jared

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 am

Birdi23nls wrote: I personally don't like throwing spinnerbaits on cranking rods.
Just personal preferrence really.

I'm very interested in how the M power handles the upper end of its rating. The TDS MH glass rod is rated 1/4-1 oz. and I throw every crank I use with it, from the Fat Free Guppy all the way to DD22's. Anything shallower than that will probably be a squarebill and most of those are pretty heavy anyway. The FlexLite is rated 1/8-1oz so I'm wondering if it'll handle pretty much the same lures.

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 am

Hi, I've used the 7' to throw 3/8 and 1/2 oz blades with this stick and it does an OK job. Not the best as I feel it lacks a bit of power for this purpose. Especially if you're fishing in weedy areas, or heavier cover when you hook up a fish, then you're gonna be in trouble trying to horse it out. I'd definitely go to the 7'2" for blades, especially if you're gonna throw 1/2 SB's. I use the Zillion 6'9" MH exclusively for SB's.
Now for shallow/medium running cranks, the 7' is a beautiful stick.
I'm currently in search of a 7'2" Flex-E-Lite :mrgreen:

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:46 pm

I have been using the 7'2" Fle-X-Lite as my "all around" crankbait rod for the past year. It works well with 3/8 oz cranks up to 3/4 oz lipless and deep divers.

Doc

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 am

I own both the 7' and the 7'2 flex-lites ....spaz is rite on with his assessment of the 7'...I use mine for the exact same baits he stated.....as far as the 7'2 besides what everyone else has contributed for it's uses I would like to add that it is a awesome spook rod....tons of power, no worries around vegetation....

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
SPAZ wrote:This is my favorite rod for shallow to medium diving cranks. I normally throw Bandit 100/200 and Rick Clunn 1.5's with it. In my eyes it's perfect for this use.
Have you ever thrown 3/8 & 1/2 oz dbl willow spinnerbaits with this rod? I'm trying to decide if the 7' M or the 7'2" MH will be the "all around" moving bait rod I'm looking for.

I have a 7' MH TDS glass rod now, and love it other than the weight. It works good for me for all of the cranks I throw plus I like it for spinnerbaits. The ratings on the 7' M STZ and the TDS are almost the same, so I'm hoping they perform similar.
Sorry for the late response but I have not thrown spinnerbaits with the rod. I only use it for lipped cranks. I too like to throw spinnerbaits on fast action graphite rods.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 pm

SPAZ wrote:
Jason Penn wrote:

Sorry for the late response but I have not thrown spinnerbaits with the rod. I only use it for lipped cranks. I too like to throw spinnerbaits on fast action graphite rods.
yo ZAPS how does it handle 3/4 baits? does the rod feel overstressed? read the TT review just wondering if the M is capable of launching 3/4 squarebills like the BDS 4 or LVR 500. is it better to step up to the MH 7'2"
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 am

BASSLAYER wrote:
SPAZ wrote:
Jason Penn wrote:

yo ZAPS how does it handle 3/4 baits? does the rod feel overstressed? read the TT review just wondering if the M is capable of launching 3/4 squarebills like the BDS 4 or LVR 500. is it better to step up to the MH 7'2"
Personally, with that type of weight I would go with the 7'2.