sic guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ejrobin
Angler
Angler

sic guides

Post by ejrobin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:05 pm

do sic guides handle braid well

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: sic guides

Post by mdesouza » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

YES

Mike D

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Best guides going.

SJ

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

In looking at hardness values of various guide rings, SiC is really at the top of the heap...

Stainless Steel (SS): 400
Chrome: 800-1000
Carbaloy: 1000
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400
Alconite : 1300-1500
NanoLite : 1800
Zirconia: 1000-1400
Zirconia PVD: 1600
SiC: 2200-2400
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 am

Mattman wrote:In looking at hardness values of various guide rings, SiC is really at the top of the heap...

Stainless Steel (SS): 400
Chrome: 800-1000
Carbaloy: 1000
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400
Alconite : 1300-1500
NanoLite : 1800
Zirconia: 1000-1400
Zirconia PVD: 1600
SiC: 2200-2400
Matt, in your opinion how much of a difference does insert material make? What is the point of diminishing returns?

If I remember correctly before the site crash I saw a post that said you only used SiC on your personal rods because others felt 'sluggish'?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:19 am

breezy wrote:Matt, in your opinion how much of a difference does insert material make? What is the point of diminishing returns?

If I remember correctly before the site crash I saw a post that said you only used SiC on your personal rods because others felt 'sluggish'?
Note that my opinions are coming from the perspective a custom builder...

From a hardness perspective, Aluminum Oxide is fine for most all applications. But its heavy in comparison.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the rod. With the increased hardness, also comes lighter weight.

On a cranking rod, you really don't need a high end guide. Especially with glass. Feel isn't important, light weight isn't super critical, so you can get away with a heavier lower end guide.

On a rod for feel applications, keeping your guide weight down is a critical part of having a sensitive rod. With lighter guides you are giving your blank the best chance at getting vibration to your fingers.

Too many guys just think light weight. But the weight reduction is really important for the blanks responsiveness and sensitivity. Sure, feeling light is nice, but encumbering the blank less is what really pays off.

With micro guides, stepping up to SiC is less of a concern. Given the small size, the actual weight difference between SiC and Alconite is very little. Its still that 15% that typically comes with the Alconite vs SiC weights, but its just such a small number that it isn't noticable.

On my personal rods, I don't use anything less than SiC. Stainless framed SiC is the low grade option and titanium framed SiC is my typical option.

#1 - I stock and use a lot of SiC so its just convenient.

#2 - In my opinion, a $20 set of Alconites doesn't belong on a $400 custom rod. That's like getting a set of tires for your brand new Corvette from the feed store. Sure, the car will roll with them on, but its performance will be lacking.

#3 - For $20 more I can cut 15% of the weight out and increase the hardness of the ceramic half again.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods