Tubes: Casting or Spinning??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tubes: Casting or Spinning??

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:41 pm

capesmallie wrote:
biggs wrote:
capesmallie wrote:Spinning for tubes, I have the Fuego 6'9"ML and it is ok for 1/8-1/4 oz tubes but it is more of a finesse/dropshot rod. the 6'10" M Fuego would be a better rod for what you are looking for than the 6'6". For me my favorite tube rod is the St.Croix LTB 7' M "tube".
So if I had to, the ML could handle tubes ok? Maybe I am asking too much from a ML rod. I was thinking of using my DX743 casting more for tubes since I prefer casting, I just want a spinning rod to do what I want since it will be my only spinning rod.

My shop doesn't carry the 6'10"M Fuego rod, I thought about that rod. Maybe I will see if they can get it for me.
Yeah it would be fine, but IMO a medium powered spinning rod will be more versitil if you are only planning on using 1 spinning rod set up
True that! Thanks man.
Instagram @___bradb

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey Biggs.

Let's see if I can't help you out with your decision. First off I currently own the fuego 69ML, avid 68mxf, and I have the powell wacky rig rod as well.

The fuego is a great rod for drop shot, flick shake, and shakey heads. As for tubes (1/4 or up) not ideal. This rod is really ML powered.

The avid 68 is a great wacky rig rod for more of an open water scenario. It can handle larger fish (I landed a 5 lbs 7 oz largie on it last summer) but not nearly as powerful as the powell. I have been using the avid as my dedicated wacky rig rod for the past 3 seasons. All in all I LOVE it for 4 or 5 inch senkos. This rod could be used for tubes around the 1/4 oz and up. Casting tubes at 1/8 if an oz would be a little more difficult.

The powell is definitely the most powerful of the bunch. I bought this rod late last season and used it twice during the end of summer. This rod is TIP HEAVY. I tried to pair the rod with a CI4 and found it to be almost un-fishable. When paired with a heavier reel like a stradic FH it balanced good but not great. This rod can most definitely handle tubes and has enough back bone to pull a fish out of anything. But for an all around spinning rod I don’t think it will do what you want.

If you’re only going to be running with one spinning rod I would seriously take a look at the St. Croix LTB tube rod 7 feet M powered would be an ideal all around rod. Or you can always look at the DX743 spinning. I know you love that balanced feeling in your hand.
Best of luck with your search.

Mike D

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 am

Hey Biggs.

For the past 2-3 years I was using a 6'6" MH Shimano Compre (fast action, spinning) and it was a great tube rod for 10-15' depths. However, the 6'6" length was a bit of a drawback when it came to deeper water or long line hooksets. This season I'm going with a 6'9" Kistler Magnesium "Finesse Special" which I was told by numerous people will have the backbone and that extra bit of length to set the hook for a distance and/or in cover (I often t-rig my tubes when fishing outside weed edges). But, it's still short enough for me (at 6'2" tall) to skip that same tube under a large dock when the situation presents itself.
On waters where I won't be throwing tubes, I expect this to make a very nice weightless wacky rig rod. I found the action a tad on the slow side for the Compre to fish this technique effectively, but the Kistler, while having a soft tip, still seems a fair amount faster action-wise and should be perfect.

PS: I'm sure Ed could order any rod you want. ;)

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 am

I use both spinning & baitcasting for tubes.
When pitching tubes in cover, it's baitcasting all the way!
When dragging a tube up on Lake Erie, it's spinning all the way!

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys, I think a M powered rod would be best for me and if I need more power I can switch to casting.

Thanks again!
Instagram @___bradb

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 am

So Biggs, what rod did you decide on???

Mike D

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am

mdesouza wrote:So Biggs, what rod did you decide on???

Mike D
I am going to try and see if LB can order me in a 6'10"M Fuego which I doubt but am also going to head out to Ed's and take another look at his Dobyns lineup.

I wish someone around here carried Powell.

I am the absolute worst at make up my mind! :D

So basically I haven't really decided. YET!
Instagram @___bradb

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 am

I think for your situation I would go medium spinning. Fishing the Ottawa/Rideau areas a medium spinning rod for tubes would be a lot of fun. I would go with a bit of extra length in the rod. Dobyns DX 702SF is an insane tube rod. The Savvy 702SF could be worth a look as well.