Tubes: Casting or Spinning??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tubes: Casting or Spinning??

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 am

I am looking for a new spinning rod and can't decide if I want it purely for finesse or if I want a more all around rod that can also handle tubes. I use mostly casting and want one good spinning rig, I have narrowed my choices to either a Daiwa Fuego or Dobyns Savvy rod, prices are a little off here. Fuegos cost $175 and Savvys $185. I am thinking if I want to go purely finesse maybe a Fuego 6'9ML but I don't think it can handle tubes, all around Fuego would be the 6'6M. For the Savvy I am looking at the 6'9ML. As of right now I am leaning more towards the Fuego 6'6M. I feel like the Fuego is probably a better rod than the Savvy.

So I am curious if you guys use casting or spinning with tubes?

Thanks for any info.
Instagram @___bradb

loochie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tubes: Casting or Spinning??

Post by loochie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am

I use both. Using a spinning rod is a little easier, but it is always fun to use a casting rod too.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 am

Spinning for me. It doesn't backlash.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:36 am

You have to decide on what tubes you are going to use. If you are going to use mostly 1/8 to 1/4 oz tubes, then a ML (depending on the manufacturer) might be your best bet. If you are going to use mainly 3/8, 5/16 or heavier, you probably want a Medium or Medium Heavy rod... again, depending on the manufacturer.

Generally speaking, I always try and decide what weight lures I'm going to be using most often, and pick a rod that should have a sweet spot for that weight lure, which I consider to be right about in the middle of the suggested weight range. For example. If I plan on using mostly 1/4 oz lures, I would want a rod that is rated for 1/8 to 3/8 oz. If I plan on using mostly 3/8 or 5/16 oz, I'll pick up one of my rods rated for 3/16 to 5/8 oz.

As far as rod type, again... what lure weight? For the lighter stuff, a spinning rod works great. For heavier stuff, a casting rod might be a better choice. It also depends on the type of cover you will be fishing. Plus, if this were going to be a dedicated tube rod, I would seriously consider an "XF" action.

I'm sure others will have a different take on it.

Good luck with your decision.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 am

I use spinning for all my tubes, generally all my tube fishing is on the great lakes so I like a medium to a medium-heavy 7 foot plus spinning rod. Depends on the water depth also and the weight like North Branch said. For my tubes im going to use the Dobyns savvy 703 SF and the DX 764 SF. I like the longer rod also for line pick up.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:54 am

North Branch wrote:You have to decide on what tubes you are going to use. If you are going to use mostly 1/8 to 1/4 oz tubes, then a ML (depending on the manufacturer) might be your best bet. If you are going to use mainly 3/8, 5/16 or heavier, you probably want a Medium or Medium Heavy rod... again, depending on the manufacturer.

Generally speaking, I always try and decide what weight lures I'm going to be using most often, and pick a rod that should have a sweet spot for that weight lure, which I consider to be right about in the middle of the suggested weight range. For example. If I plan on using mostly 1/4 oz lures, I would want a rod that is rated for 1/8 to 3/8 oz. If I plan on using mostly 3/8 or 5/16 oz, I'll pick up one of my rods rated for 3/16 to 5/8 oz.

As far as rod type, again... what lure weight? For the lighter stuff, a spinning rod works great. For heavier stuff, a casting rod might be a better choice. It also depends on the type of cover you will be fishing. Plus, if this were going to be a dedicated tube rod, I would seriously consider an "XF" action.

I'm sure others will have a different take on it.

Good luck with your decision.
Thats some good info, Thanks! :D

How much does a standard tube weigh?

The 2 Fuego rods I am looking at are:
6'6" M XF - 6-14lbs line - 3/16-1/2oz lure
6'9" ML XF - 4-12lbs line - 1/16-3/8oz lure

Do you think the 6'6" would still be good for finesse applications? shakeyhead, maybe dropshot? is it too short for finesse?
Maybe I should just go with the ML and deal with tubes with casting or just use lighter tube hooks with tubes, ML rods are just too fun!
Instagram @___bradb

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 am

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:23 am

just what the doctor ordered.
You'll love it..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 am

I like the St Croix Avid 6' 8" M/XF AVS68MXF, but for the Dobyns any of the Savvy series spinning rods would work.

SJ

angler96
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by angler96 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:20 pm

tracker01 wrote:Spinning for me. It doesn't backlash.
x2.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Spinning for me too. I need to cast into the wind. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Spinning for tubes, I have the Fuego 6'9"ML and it is ok for 1/8-1/4 oz tubes but it is more of a finesse/dropshot rod. the 6'10" M Fuego would be a better rod for what you are looking for than the 6'6". For me my favorite tube rod is the St.Croix LTB 7' M "tube".

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:21 pm

capesmallie wrote:Spinning for tubes, I have the Fuego 6'9"ML and it is ok for 1/8-1/4 oz tubes but it is more of a finesse/dropshot rod. the 6'10" M Fuego would be a better rod for what you are looking for than the 6'6". For me my favorite tube rod is the St.Croix LTB 7' M "tube".
So if I had to, the ML could handle tubes ok? Maybe I am asking too much from a ML rod. I was thinking of using my DX743 casting more for tubes since I prefer casting, I just want a spinning rod to do what I want since it will be my only spinning rod.

My shop doesn't carry the 6'10"M Fuego rod, I thought about that rod. Maybe I will see if they can get it for me.
Instagram @___bradb

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I'll be the weirdo - baitcasters...because they don't have line twist issues. Also, I like FC for contact baits like tubes, and FC does not mesh well with spinning gear.

Some folks can use a FC leader with braid...however, that is inconvenient on Erie due to the frequent re-tying...zebras and all.

If you use a 1/8 oz tube head, the lure will weight about 3/8 oz. With a 1/16oz head, the lure will weight about 5/16 oz. This is easy to cast with a Sol, Pixzilla or other finesse baitcaster.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm

biggs wrote:
capesmallie wrote:Spinning for tubes, I have the Fuego 6'9"ML and it is ok for 1/8-1/4 oz tubes but it is more of a finesse/dropshot rod. the 6'10" M Fuego would be a better rod for what you are looking for than the 6'6". For me my favorite tube rod is the St.Croix LTB 7' M "tube".
So if I had to, the ML could handle tubes ok? Maybe I am asking too much from a ML rod. I was thinking of using my DX743 casting more for tubes since I prefer casting, I just want a spinning rod to do what I want since it will be my only spinning rod.

My shop doesn't carry the 6'10"M Fuego rod, I thought about that rod. Maybe I will see if they can get it for me.
Yeah it would be fine, but IMO a medium powered spinning rod will be more versitil if you are only planning on using 1 spinning rod set up