Which compromise?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which compromise?

Post by Bob Ellis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 am

If you were forced to choose between a short 1 piece rod in the 5'6" to 6' range of a longer, closer to 7' rod but it needed to be a 2 piece which compromise would you take? This rod or rods would do all of your fishing.

I say compromise because it seems that short rods are not as popular anymore and folks really shy away from two-piecers for bass fishing.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which compromise?

Post by godshippy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:37 am

This depends on what kind of fishing we're talking about. If you're in a float tube or wading then I would take the 1 piece rod. If you're fishing off the bank then I would take the 2 piece rod.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 am

Good Question. I'm assuming we are talking about an all around rod. if so........at LEAST a 7', 2 peace.
I like 7'+, 3 Power rods with an 10-17lb line rating and a 1/4-3/4oz lure rating for all around fishing.
MegabassUSA.com

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:02 am

Nothing wrong with a two piece. I have had a few and they fish as well as any one piece I own. Times and technology has changed enough that the differences between the two are nearly non-existent.

If however you like a short rod (and they are infinitely more accurate to use IMO)..then a 5'6 or 6' are perfect.

I happen to like both the longer and short rods. Each has a place. Going back a few years..no pro used a rod longer than 5'6" and caught plenty of bass and won every tournament.

Now, having to choose between the two..I'd grab a two piece in a minute. Select the length, power and action you prefer and never look back.

Again, just my perspective, your results may vary :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

For my fishing style, I would go with the 6' rod. I can make the shorter rod work in any of my fishing situations, but the 7' rods do not work for me with some of the presentations I fish and in some of the tight areas I fish.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 pm

I would also go with the 2 piece. As mentioned earlier, technology has greatly improved on two piece rods.

I also like fishing with longer rods. I own 1 rod under 7' and it's a 6'6" that I rarely use. Actually, about half of my rods are over 7' now.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

No reason to shy away from a 2-piece.

VERY slight increase in weight of the blank.

Today's technology in graphites and ferrules have almost completely eliminated the drawbacks that older ferruled rods had.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Unless you prefer/want a shorter rod definitely go with the 2-piece.

I usually don't care much for rods under 6'6 anymore but as mentioned above they were the norm until recently. I feel 6'6 is a good all-around length. I'm just curious what situation you are in that requires this? If a 6' 1-piece rod will work for you, will the extra 6" really kill the deal?

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:50 am

I work with a gentleman who drives a very small Mazda. He currently has a six foot pole and tells me he can just get it in the car diagonally, if it were another six inches it would have to be bent while in the car.

We got on the subject of new fishing equipment and ho he doesn't bother to look at new rods because of his car.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:53 am

Bob Ellis wrote:I work with a gentleman who drives a very small Mazda. He currently has a six foot pole and tells me he can just get it in the car diagonally, if it were another six inches it would have to be bent while in the car.

We got on the subject of new fishing equipment and ho he doesn't bother to look at new rods because of his car.
A shame, since he could buy any rod he chooses and have it made into a two piece. \:D/
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Bob Ellis wrote:I work with a gentleman who drives a very small Mazda. He currently has a six foot pole and tells me he can just get it in the car diagonally, if it were another six inches it would have to be bent while in the car.

I couldn't imagine driving a car that small :whistle: If it has to be one or the other I would go for the 2-piece as almost everyone else suggested. It just seems like he could manage an extra 6" to fit a 6'6 rod in without too much extra hassle and I doubt a slight bend would hurt anything...I'm sure the rod bends a lot more when there's a fish on.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:49 pm

Mazda Miata? My buddy had the same problem. He just let it stick out of the window or take the top down in the summertime. It gets a lot of attention.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz