Looking for a review of the TW exclusive Wacky Rig Rod...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Looking for a review of the TW exclusive Wacky Rig Rod...

Post by captainhookset » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:57 am

Hey guys,

Anyone fished with/own the TW wacky rig rod? Leaning toward adding this to my spinning collection, what are the thoughts on this rod?

What do have it paired with to balance it nicely?

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a review of the TW exclusive Wacky Rig Rod..

Post by Derek777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am

i dont have that rod yet, but its on the list.

however, i do have two of the other tw/powell rods, the swimjig and the paddletail, and the build quality is top notch. they are also perfectly designed for their respective tasks. this alone is giving me the confidence to purchase the wacky rig rod without hesitation.

ps i just remembered tt did a review of the sqaurebill rod and gave it high marks as well, so id think the wacky rod is right up there too.

Paul D
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Paul D » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:24 am

I bought one last June and used it a lot last summer. It's surprisingly powerful for a spinning rod . I really like that feeling of total control when your hooked up. The extra fast action allows for a great hookup ratio. I felt so sorry for my fishing buddy, consistently out fishing him, that I bought him one for a Christmas present. He put a 2500 TD Advantage on it and it's cosmetically a perfect match. The Fuego is a lighter option that would still look sharp. If you have any other questions I'll help if I can.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:25 am

If you're talking about the Powell wacky rig rod. I have it and I think it's way tip heavy. More noticeable than any of my other rods. I've been trying to figure out how I could add a balancing system to the butt, but it's hard because of the way the cork is shaped. It's currently paired with a stradic 2500MgFB. The tip also feels a bit stiff for a rod intended for light application. I wouldn't recommend it if your gonna pay the full retail.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.