grassmat/punching rod help!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

grassmat/punching rod help!

Post by Derek777 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

im looking for a good rod to try thats perfect for punching and working grassmats with lures up to 1-1/2. i dont really want to spend over 200 on a technique that im not sure will be effective where i fish. id also like something around 7'2 to 7'6. ive seen that alot of guys (bub for one) that punch use a little slower action such as fast instead of xfast. ive looked at bubs irod but unfortunately it has two negatives in my opinion, it's 7'11 and the build quality on irods from what i hear is only so so. the other rod i looked at was the powell 7105 but it also is too long.
so i guess im looking for a casting punching/grassmats rod under 200 thats 7'2 to 7'6 with a fast action.
anyone have any thoughts on my requirements for the techniques and/or suggestions for rods?

WishinIwerFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: grassmat/punching rod help!

Post by WishinIwerFishin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

You could try a Dobyns Savvy 765, I don't have one but it has a fast action and is rated up to 2oz.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

I'd really try to make the 7105 work. I have this rod for punching and think it's near perfect. Not all areas I fish allow punchin so it's no biggie that it doesn't fit in my rod locker I just put it on deck when I feel I may use it.

The slower action of this rod is right on I feel for punching with braid.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 am

The Dobyns Savvy 766 flip is a beast of a rod. It can handle up to a 2 oz weight and has a fast action tip, this rod is ideal for flipping mats. The rod balances very well like all the dobyns line up so you wont get tired. You wont spend over your budget either $169.99 for a work horse.

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adam ochoa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:14 am

I really like the Powell 7105 also but i've been using the 775 Endurance for punching as well. The balance of this rod with those large punchin weights is spot on. Its also a great jig and mag topwater rod as well.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 pm

While I haven't used the Savvy 766 Flip, the Champion 766 Flip used to be my rod of choice. I am guessing from 'store fishing' they will be very similar. It is a monster stick - very powerful indeed. Although labeled as 'fast' it isn't as fast as the regular Dobyns casting rods (e.g. 733 or 734). Fishing with braid, I wanted the drag to slip just a little at maximum rod flex. Just a short pop was enough to get a solid hookset & the fish moving towards me.

I've since moved to the DX795 Flip which does have a slightly more moderate action. I've found that I set up & fish this rod a little different. I lock down the drag & need to employ a longer hook setting action. Really, really like this rod. :D

Are you going to be punching really heavy mats? Often a rod that works in the really heavy stuff, isn't so good for lighter pitching/flipping. Your post makes it seem like you are a little iffy on the technique.

Are you okay with buying used rods? If you aren't really around 'mats' take a look at picking up a used Champion 765. The rod will work fine with up to 1 1/2oz plus bait. Slightly lighter stick (power) so it will also work well for flippin & pitching when not in the really thick stuff. If you are really committed to punching & fishing heavy stuff, maybe look for a 805 Flip and/or DX795 Flip.

The Zillion Flipping stick is another good choice. I used to own one & enjoyed fishing with it. I would say the power is very similar to the Dobyns 765.

Although I've never used one, the 7105 has come up many times before with positive comments.

added in edit: Sorry, forgot to put what I like in a punching stick. Obviously, the rod has to have some power. Typically, when punching, I'm using 1 1/2oz weights plus bait in really heavy mats using 65lb braid. If you don't have a powerful stick, you aren't going to stick & land the fish. They don't always slam the bait so I want the rod to be sensitive so that I can feel the subtle bites. I like a somewhat light tip - lets me apply just the lightest pressure to confirm there is a fish without spooking it when the bite is light. Balanced & lightweight are things I look for as a heavy rod will flat wear you out after a day of punching.

Reef777
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Reef777 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Derek, I bought two rods for punching and flipping off this forum and it worked great, the two are. Loomis BCFR954 and BCFR894. I know you can buy great rods at great prices on this web site. We don't have really tuff mats up here in Pa. but some of the lily pad fields and 6 lb fish put that 954 to the test and it also preforms great when you go to the Flats or the Potomac where there is big fish all over. Hope this helps Reef

jwfflipper
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Derek, I don't know how set you are a 7'-2" but theBW-H70 7'-00" Colmic Black Weapon rod is perfect for this! They have a fast action and lure weight from 3/8-1 1/2 oz and do these have a back bone! And they are uder $200.00
www.colmic-usa.com check us out and if inestered pm me and i will get you hooked up!

Jeff Francis
RiverValley Crankbaits
Colmic Rods
Ol'Style Baits

vuehouaxiong
Angler
Angler

Post by vuehouaxiong » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

i use a shimano crucial casting rod.its the 7'2'' heavy,up to 1 1/2oz xfast.it works them mats pretty well.have that paired whit a chronarch 101b