Verdict vs. Veritas.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Verdict vs. Veritas.

Post by Bassboss » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 am

Which one go you guys like better, and why?

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Verdict vs. Veritas.

Post by Fat-G » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am

Just from handling the two, I would buy the Veritas. It just feels better.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Fat-G wrote:Just from handling the two, I would buy the Veritas. It just feels better.
x2.
The Veritas felt better in hand to me too, felt lighter. I also think the Verdict handle is a bit of a gimmick.
Instagram @___bradb

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

There is very little difference between the two besides color and the gimicky handle. Don't take it from me. Take it from me who was told directly by someone who deals with these rods daily from Pure Fishing. With the high end titanium guides and lower price, you are better off with the Veritas. The Veritas in my opinion should be priced in the $140 - $180 range.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Having actually FISHED both rods as opposed to just handling them, there's a difference between the Veritas and the Verdict. First off would be the weight of the graphite, 30 ton vs 36 ton which would translate into more power and greater sensitivity.
The "gimmicky" handle came in handy quite quickly when I adjusted it to create a more comfortable fishing experience. The Verdict flippin' rod has a more powerful feel to it than the Verdict.
The Veritas has an advantage in having additional actions available than the Verdict. It's not a bad a rod, I use the Veritas for flat sided cranks, shallow cranks and jerkbaits. I would have to take the Verdict for sensitivity tactics.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:20 pm

As far as the spinning rods go, the answer is neither. That is unless your idea of a comfortable handle matches threaded pipe.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 am

Having just purchased a Veritas, I can say that this is a great rod for the money. I handled but rods and found the Verdict to be heavier than the Veritas. I personally like the adjustable handle on the Verdict, but not enough to justify the added weight. I believe that for most techniques the Veritas will work just fine. On a side note the Veritas fishes heavier than it says. My 6'6" Med feels more like a Med. Heavy. I would not hesitate on buying another one, I would like to see a Veritas made that can handle smaller cranks and finesse plastics better than their Med. Action rod can. One thing that I had to get use to was the reel seat. I found my little finger was not use to the angle of the trigger and I had to adjust my grip slightly, but now it has become second nature to make the adjustment from my other rods to this one.

mobassman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobassman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:25 pm

One more vote for the Verdict on the sensitivity factor. I have used both the veritas and verdict. The verdict model I have is the 7'3" mh, one of my all time favorite jig rods, for its price range.
"Fishin ain't catchin"

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:There is very little difference between the two besides color and the gimicky handle. Don't take it from me. Take it from me who was told directly by someone who deals with these rods daily from Pure Fishing. With the high end titanium guides and lower price, you are better off with the Veritas. The Veritas in my opinion should be priced in the $140 - $180 range.
Handle is FAR from gimicky and looking at where you are located in Minnesota, you have very little timber to get into and fish. But to be able to have one rod to do both roll casting of jerkbaits and spinnerbaits in tight quarters like timber and then take the same rod and lengthen it by 3 1/4" to make 2 handed casts in more open water and points--cuts down on having to have 2 rods in the boat for the same bait apllication. Plus the verdict is much more sensitive than the veritas. Being in Spirit Lake on a regular basis, my contacts tell me there are definite differences in the blanks of these 2 rods.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I think they are relatively the same. i havent fished the verdict but i have held one on several occasions and it just feels cheaper to me...IMO the handle on the verdict cheapens the rod....with the higher modulus graphite I would buy a verdict in a heartbeat over the veritas, but the cheap annoying handle is what made me buy my veritas....if you get either I dont think you will regret it...I love my veritas
stress-what happens between fishing trips

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:58 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I think they are relatively the same. i havent fished the verdict but i have held one on several occasions and it just feels cheaper to me...IMO the handle on the verdict cheapens the rod....with the higher modulus graphite I would buy a verdict in a heartbeat over the veritas, but the cheap annoying handle is what made me buy my veritas....if you get either I dont think you will regret it...I love my veritas
Guess I don't see it as cheap and annoying handle. Very functional. Push it in and use it like a pistol grip handle---extend it and it allows for loner 2 handed casts. pretty SIMPLE!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:There is very little difference between the two besides color and the gimicky handle. Don't take it from me. Take it from me who was told directly by someone who deals with these rods daily from Pure Fishing. With the high end titanium guides and lower price, you are better off with the Veritas. The Veritas in my opinion should be priced in the $140 - $180 range.
Handle is FAR from gimicky and looking at where you are located in Minnesota, you have very little timber to get into and fish. But to be able to have one rod to do both roll casting of jerkbaits and spinnerbaits in tight quarters like timber and then take the same rod and lengthen it by 3 1/4" to make 2 handed casts in more open water and points--cuts down on having to have 2 rods in the boat for the same bait apllication. Plus the verdict is much more sensitive than the veritas. Being in Spirit Lake on a regular basis, my contacts tell me there are definite differences in the blanks of these 2 rods.
As far as the handle goes, I guess its a personal taste and as you can see there is a mixed review of it.

And you are correct E73Bass, in the Land of 10,000 lakes where I live, there are very few lakes that have timber that you can fish or get into because all the lakes are natural vs the resevoirs and man made lakes of the US southern States. But there are alot of weed beds and thick heavy vegetaion to deal with due to the rapid growth of these vegetaion during the summer. Also there are many rivers that have timber and various structures to deal with. So there are definetly tight spots and alot of finesse fishing.

The handle does indeed strike an intrigue in the fact it can be extended or shortend to cover various techniques and fishing situations, but to me I wonder if a moving/removable part will falter/fail through usage, wear and tear, and the rod's life. I have owned many things that had movable parts and eventually that movable part would fail. I am not saying that the Verdict Rod Handles will do the same but that is just my consesus on moving parts especially at $140.

So again, Veritas vs Verdict? Yes there is a difference in the rod blanks and components, but my whole statement was, I have heard from pure fishing people themselves that the difference between these two rods are not worth the $40 price difference. $10-$20? Maybe.

The best bang for the buck - VERITAS. If you want the slightly better rod blank and extendable/retractable handle go for the Verdict. But at $140 for the Verdict, you are entering a different tier of rods at the $140-$160 range. There are better rods at that price point and I would rather get a Crucial, Kistler, Dobyns Savvy, Lamiglass or the likes.
**What is fishing?**

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:11 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
E73Bass wrote:
As far as the handle goes, I guess its a personal taste and as you can see there is a mixed review of it.

And you are correct E73Bass, in the Land of 10,000 lakes where I live, there are very few lakes that have timber that you can fish or get into because all the lakes are natural vs the resevoirs and man made lakes of the US southern States. But there are alot of weed beds and thick heavy vegetaion to deal with due to the rapid growth of these vegetaion during the summer. Also there are many rivers that have timber and various structures to deal with. So there are definetly tight spots and alot of finesse fishing.

The handle does indeed strike an intrigue in the fact it can be extended or shortend to cover various techniques and fishing situations, but to me I wonder if a moving/removable part will falter/fail through usage, wear and tear, and the rod's life. I have owned many things that had movable parts and eventually that movable part would fail. I am not saying that the Verdict Rod Handles will do the same but that is just my consesus on moving parts especially at $140.

So again, Veritas vs Verdict? Yes there is a difference in the rod blanks and components, but my whole statement was, I have heard from pure fishing people themselves that the difference between these two rods are not worth the $40 price difference. $10-$20? Maybe.

The best bang for the buck - VERITAS. If you want the slightly better rod blank and extendable/retractable handle go for the Verdict. But at $140 for the Verdict, you are entering a different tier of rods at the $140-$160 range. There are better rods at that price point and I would rather get a Crucial, Kistler, Dobyns Savvy, Lamiglass or the likes.
So lets get this cleared up--its not a $40 difference unless you want to choose to embellish here and use the longest length rods in the verdict line as your basis for making the price comparison. In fact the Verdicts could be had at their announced price ororiginally at $119.99--so it was a 420 differnece. And yes if you are going to adjust that handle 20-30 times a day everyday that you use it ---it may wera our. Although I have a net with a similar handle and have had it for 20+ years and it still works the same as the day I purchased it.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
E73Bass wrote:

The DDobyn's Savvy are $70 more if you wa nt to use the longer length rods as your price comparison and they are a full grip rather than a split grip.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 am

E73Bass wrote: The DDobyn's Savvy are $70 more if you wa nt to use the longer length rods as your price comparison and they are a full grip rather than a split grip.
All the major Rod stores I've looked at does not have the Verdict retailing for $120, rather $130-$140. Perhaps with gift cards, special sales, promotions, these rods can be had for $120 (I get mine way cheaper, but that is not the subject here).

Tacklewarehouse Prices/Cabelas/BPS:
Veritas Rods - Any length $100. split Grip. 30 ton Graphite
Verdict Rods - Rod Length under 7'0" $130 and Rod Length over 7'1" $140. Split Grip. 36 ton - 40 ton Graphite?
Dobyns Savvy - Rod Length under 7'0" $160 and Rod Length over 7'1" $180. Non Split Grip

Again, going from the Veritas to the Verdict is an extra $30-$40 for little/minimum gain in performance over the Veritas. So if said person is to pick the Verdict over the Veritas, then you might as well add another $30-$40 and get better rods. If you can spend $130 on a rod, I am pretty sure another $30 for even better and higher quality rods will be money well spent. And there are plenty of other rods out there in the $140-$160 range that will out perform, use better components and uses higher quality blanks than the Verdict. Lastly the split grip is not a factor to me if the next tier of better rods with no split grip can be had for $20-$40 more.

And all I was stating is that moving parts rather it be rods or whatever, are more mechanically inclined to fail. And that is just something I do not want to deal with if it happens.

I have owned Veritas and Verdict rods. Sold one Verdict and gave the other one away because I just didn't use them much over my Veritas rods. Are the Verdict rods bad? No. They are good rods but my point was the Veritas is a better bang for the buck vs the Verdict and along with that analysis, I summed up what in my opinion to be the negatives of the Verdict rods. But again, this is just my opinion.
**What is fishing?**