Verdict vs. Veritas.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Verdict vs. Veritas.

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
E73Bass wrote: The DDobyn's Savvy are $70 more if you wa nt to use the longer length rods as your price comparison and they are a full grip rather than a split grip.
All the major Rod stores I've looked at does not have the Verdict retailing for $120, rather $130-$140. Perhaps with gift cards, special sales, promotions, these rods can be had for $120 (I get mine way cheaper, but that is not the subject here).

Tacklewarehouse Prices/Cabelas/BPS:
Veritas Rods - Any length $100. split Grip. 30 ton Graphite
Verdict Rods - Rod Length under 7'0" $130 and Rod Length over 7'1" $140. Split Grip. 36 ton - 40 ton Graphite?
Dobyns Savvy - Rod Length under 7'0" $160 and Rod Length over 7'1" $180. Non Split Grip

Again, going from the Veritas to the Verdict is an extra $30-$40 for little/minimum gain in performance over the Veritas. So if said person is to pick the Verdict over the Veritas, then you might as well add another $30-$40 and get better rods. If you can spend $130 on a rod, I am pretty sure another $30 for even better and higher quality rods will be money well spent. And there are plenty of other rods out there in the $140-$160 range that will out perform, use better components and uses higher quality blanks than the Verdict. Lastly the split grip is not a factor to me if the next tier of better rods with no split grip can be had for $20-$40 more.

And all I was stating is that moving parts rather it be rods or whatever, are more mechanically inclined to fail. And that is just something I do not want to deal with if it happens.

I have owned Veritas and Verdict rods. Sold one Verdict and gave the other one away because I just didn't use them much over my Veritas rods. Are the Verdict rods bad? No. They are good rods but my point was the Veritas is a better bang for the buck vs the Verdict and along with that analysis, I summed up what in my opinion to be the negatives of the Verdict rods. But again, this is just my opinion.
What makes Dobyns, Shimano, Kistler, et al. so much better than the Verdict? I've used the Zillion and Fuego rods and honestly think the Verdict is as good, if not better than the Daiwa offerings.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Johnny A wrote:What makes Dobyns, Shimano, Kistler, et al. so much better than the Verdict? I've used the Zillion and Fuego rods and honestly think the Verdict is as good, if not better than the Daiwa offerings.
True. And I agree that the Veritas and Verdict rods are better than some offerings from other Rod Manufactureers - but not all. I did state on the threads here somewhere that my belieft is the Veritas Rods should be priced in the $130-$150 range. But with the bad economy they are a perfect fit at $100. You cannot find a rod with Titanium gudes and SIC inserts for $100 - PERIOD! All the rods with Titanium Guides and SIC inserts are well over $300!!! But as with all brands - if I had a choice to pick between a $150 St. Croix rod vs the (for comparison sakes lets just say its at this price range) $150 Verdict, I'd pick the St. Croix any day OR If you gave me an option to pick between the St. Croix Premiere ($100-$120) vs the Veritas ($100) it would be pretty close but I'd pick the Veritas. One big reason why I would pick the St. Croix over the Abu Garcia rods - I know the quality and craftsmanship on these St. Croix rods have been tried and true through decades vs Abu Garcia Veritas line of Rods which has been on the market for less than 5yrs?

My whole point is the Verdict rods are just not the best bang for the buck. Again, the Verdict rods are just as good as the Veritas but at $20-$40 price difference and little performance difference, the Veritas is just a better buy. That is my whole point.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
Johnny A wrote:What makes Dobyns, Shimano, Kistler, et al. so much better than the Verdict? I've used the Zillion and Fuego rods and honestly think the Verdict is as good, if not better than the Daiwa offerings.
True. And I agree that the Veritas and Verdict rods are better than some offerings from other Rod Manufactureers - but not all. I did state on the threads here somewhere that my belieft is the Veritas Rods should be priced in the $130-$150 range. But with the bad economy they are a perfect fit at $100. You cannot find a rod with Titanium gudes and SIC inserts for $100 - PERIOD! All the rods with Titanium Guides and SIC inserts are well over $300!!! But as with all brands - if I had a choice to pick between a $150 St. Croix rod vs the (for comparison sakes lets just say its at this price range) $150 Verdict, I'd pick the St. Croix any day OR If you gave me an option to pick between the St. Croix Premiere ($100-$120) vs the Veritas ($100) it would be pretty close but I'd pick the Veritas. One big reason why I would pick the St. Croix over the Abu Garcia rods - I know the quality and craftsmanship on these St. Croix rods have been tried and true through decades vs Abu Garcia Veritas line of Rods which has been on the market for less than 5yrs?

My whole point is the Verdict rods are just not the best bang for the buck. Again, the Verdict rods are just as good as the Veritas but at $20-$40 price difference and little performance difference, the Veritas is just a better buy. That is my whole point.
I've been quite selective in my choices between the Veritas and Verdict depending upon taper/action mixes, fast presentation vs slow presentation, power for technique and favored technique. I guess we each have our methods for choosing but while my breakdown makes sense to me, you may take a totally different approach.
Two quick examples of how I choose:
Fast moving baits, shallow cranks and jerkbaits. I don't really need the sensitivity but I do want a powerful stick to control how I can work the bait. I like medium heavy action with a fast taper and a 6'6"-6'9" rod. Veritas has it, Verdict doesn't. The Veritas is a lighter rod so I can make a lot of casts without tiring my arm after a long day of fishing.
In my opinion, the 6'6" MH, fast Veritas has SIMILAR properties to the Megabass F 5 1/2 - 68XFti Diablo, the ultimate jerkbait/shallow crank rod. I have fished a lot of different rods from a lot of different companies and the Veritas does the job well.
Second would be flippin' and pitchin' in and around heavy cover. I want the strength of heavier blank. I'm not making the continuous casts and I want the power to pull green fish out of veg or away from a stump. I want the additional sensitivity to detect bites. I'm going for the Verdict in that situation, with or without the extending handle.
There are a couple of other flippin' sticks I've used in the past, none of which are JDM. I find it absolutely remarkable because the old Team Daiwa Denny Brauer flippin' rod, then the Team Daiwa S flippin' rod, closely followed by the old Daiwa Light and Tough flippin' rod were the best on the market, ever. The Verdict comes extremely close to replicating that feel, action and build except for the split grip and the non-telescopic blank.
I liked the Vendetta series but moved up to the Veritas and Verdict. My JDMs go out on occasion, they served me well for both pleasure and tournaments, they earned their retirement. The Abus are now earning their keep.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Well, I was under the impression of "all-around" rod. Now if we get into technique specific....thats a whole different story. :lol:

Eitherway, both rods are good if not great.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**