NRX 804 JWR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

NRX 804 JWR

Post by Fbass » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 am

hey guys,
I'm looking at this Gloomis NRX 804 rod and I'm a little surprised. The rod is a heavy action but only up to 3/4oz? Is it a little underestimated or what?
Impossible to find it in store in my neck of the wood so I have to rely on what's found online!
And by the way I second a request for a review of these rods!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX 804 JWR

Post by DavidSA » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

all of the jig and worm series has lighter then expected lure ratings and this includes the NRX series.

The 804 in the BCR804 GLX series was not a hit with many guys compared to other models. I'm not sure I would not try something else. What application are you looking to fish?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:03 am

I agree with David on the GLX 803 to 804 comparison. I already owned 2 of the 803's and, like you, was concerned about the ratings as I was throwing a lot of 3/4oz c-rigs and jigs with them. So I figured I'd get an 804 since the 803's were/are such wonderful rods. I guess it might be the difference between a fast and ex-fast rod, but the 804 is just not as sensitive for deep water. Kind of disappointing. So when I got my NRX, the 803 and 804 were sitting side by side. Guess which one I opted for. ;) Could be the 804 in the NRX version is a better rod but it still only has the fast rating, so it's not on my list.

Actually, I doubt anymore NRX's are on my list at this point. The one I have is a little tiny bit lighter than my GLX803, but, so far, I would not say it's anymore sensitive. The jury is still somewhat out on it, but I've not had a "wow" moment with it yet sensitivity-wise.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks guys, awesome input.
I need a rod for jigs and texas rig up to 3/4 with a few baits just under 1 oz tossed in the mix.

Jeb I'm surprised you don't see that big of a difference. The nrx being lighter should be more sensitive, doesn't it? Just the handle and reel seat have to be so much lighter, doesn't that help?

In your opinion can a 803 go up to 1oz occasionally?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Fbass wrote:Thanks guys, awesome input.
I need a rod for jigs and texas rig up to 3/4 with a few baits just under 1 oz tossed in the mix.

Jeb I'm surprised you don't see that big of a difference. The nrx being lighter should be more sensitive, doesn't it? Just the handle and reel seat have to be so much lighter, doesn't that help?

1oz on the 803 would in my humble opinion be crazy. I have thrown 3/4oz before and it feels very strange during the cast.

I recommend you look at a Gloomis MBR844 GLX or a Dobyns 744 extreme. I've not fished the extreme but own the Loomis. Very good rod.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 pm

am with davidsa on this one.

in my hands, the mbr 844 glx is the better jig rod here (as well as all-around) than the bcr 804.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 am

Fbass wrote:Jeb I'm surprised you don't see that big of a difference. The nrx being lighter should be more sensitive, doesn't it? Just the handle and reel seat have to be so much lighter, doesn't that help?
It is a little lighter, like I said. That is about the only noticeable difference to me so far. I don't know that light weight has any correlation to more sensitive, though.
Like the others, that would be harder than I'd push that rod. 3/4oz is high as I'd go on an 803. I have a Dobyn's Extreme DX784ML for the bigger stuff.

Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Birdi23nls » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 am

jeb wrote:
Fbass wrote:Jeb I'm surprised you don't see that big of a difference. The nrx being lighter should be more sensitive, doesn't it? Just the handle and reel seat have to be so much lighter, doesn't that help?
It is a little lighter, like I said. That is about the only noticeable difference to me so far. I don't know that light weight has any correlation to more sensitive, though.
Like the others, that would be harder than I'd push that rod. 3/4oz is high as I'd go on an 803. I have a Dobyn's Extreme DX784ML for the bigger stuff.

I would have to say I disagree. The NRX is the most sensitive rod I have ever fished with. I have Steez, dobyns, loomis, st croix, and to me there is a noticable difference in weight and sensitivity. I love mine and am saving some cash for another one.

Let me put it to you like this. My uncle, who I fish with a lot is pretty cheap when it comes to his equipment (rods and reels)...his most expensive combo is a lamiglas certified pro with a Johnny Morris reel. It is a nice all around combo, but fairly cheap $ compared to other equipment on the market. When he threw my NRX, he was pretty much amazed, and now is thinking about buying one for himself. For him to even consider paying $475 for a rod is not normal. Having said all that, sensitivity is pretty subjective I think. Some rods just feel right for some people when others may not be so impressed. But, I am a big fan...the only thing that sucks is warranty changes.
Jared

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 am

I'm a big gloomis fan on this board but I don't want to proclaim the NRX better then the BCR GLX series until I believe it to be true. I have fished my NRX for 3 days in Florida and about an hour around the pond. I certainly am not blown away by any difference in sensitivy but it may be that I've not fished the right bait on the right bite.

During the summer when the bite is good, I have fishd the BCR series vs. the MBR GLX series with same line, same reel, same bait and lots of rocks and gills to peck on my bait. In this head to head comparison, it is extremely easy to see the BCR GLX is more sensitive and I've described the informational difference several times on this site.

When I fish the NRX803 vs. GLX 803 with same bait, same line and lure then I may be singing a different tune but just to fish it sensitivity wise it has not rocked my world. It may and I'm hoping it does.

P.S. I do believe the NRX is at least as sensitive as my BCR and to cast/hold the NRX is like holding the BCR802.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Well said, David. And it's a BIG compliment to the NRX 803 to even be on the same level as the BCR803 GLX, deep water sensitivity-wise. That is the yardstick I measure all other rods against in that area, and I've found nothing to be their equal. So even if the NRX803 only proves to be as good in that area, it will still be a great rod.

Is an ounce or so worth the extra cost, if all else is equal? That's between you and your wallet (and maybe the wife :D )!