Gander Mountain X-Factor Micro Guide Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gander Mountain X-Factor Micro Guide Rods

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:11 pm

My local Gander Mountain just got these in. All the X factor Rods retails for about $149.99 - Micro or Non-Micro. I have been eyeballing micro guide rods for the past couple of years but end up getting regular rods instead. This year I just got three Shimano Cumara Rods and have room to spare for one or two more rods. Also I usually stay away from BPS/Cabelas/Gander Mountain rods, but the catch is all of the X factor rods are on sale for $99.99 through the end of March including the new micro guide rods. These rods are not as light as the Boyd Duckett rods but close and at $50-$60 less, I am very interested.

Has anyone used these rods regardless of micro guides or not? I just want to know how the blanks and high end fuji components perform.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Fish The 219
Angler
Angler

Re: Gander Mountain X-Factor Micro Guide Rods

Post by Fish The 219 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

I"ve fished the 7'M spinning and the 7'MH casting in the regular rods. It's not a bad rod for $99. I thought the MH was a little light for what it was rated for but that seems to be the case with all the Gander rods. I fished small jigs and tubes on the casting and it performed as well as any other rod in the same price point that I've fished. They had them on sale a few times last year for the same price and once in a while you can catch an online code or instore coupon and get a extra discount off them which would make it more appealing to me.
I worked for Gander for a long time so I had the opportunity to fish a wide range of their own brand rods.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't think there is even a Micro Guide rod in the $90 - $120 price range that is as good as this X-Factor Rod just from feel and testing balance weight. I have looked at the Lamiglass micro guide, Falcon Bucco, Cabelas Prodigy Micro Guide, Skeet Reese, Quantum Smoke rod, and the various BPS Micro Guide rods. There are other micro guides out there in this price range but just not the same quality from what people have posted and reviewed. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Duckett Micro Majic or higher end Micro Guide rods but I just don't know if these rods are worth it. Where I live, you have milfoil, other various weeds that float, and trees like the cotton wood that shed annoying cotton flying seeds into the lakes and rivers. This bodes badly for Micro Guides. These things from what I read, causes casting issues and even they eyes to come off. That is why I haven't pulled the trigger on Micro Guides for over 3yrs now. Fall fishing though, shouldn't pose any issues with cottonwood and weeds but its pointless to get a rod only to use it during the fall. This is one of the reason why I don't want to spend alot of money on micro guides until I have fully tested a decent rod for a season or so. Then perhaps I will upgrade to the higher end $150 - $250 range rods.

Some of the good things about the X-Factor rod is, it has a high quality color changing (Multi-Reflective ECS/IPS) Fuji Guide seat not to mention high quality Fuji Alconite guides and to boot a life time warranty.

Thanks for the info. I may just get this rod to test it out this fishing season.
**What is fishing?**

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I know you mentioned 'other BPS micro guide rods', but you may want to take a look at the Carbonlite rods as they now come with micros. After using a couple other rods in the price range, the Carbonlite is my favorite at ~$100 price point. Unfortunately I haven't used the Gander rods but I have been very pleased with the Carbonlite series. They are definitely worth a look if you haven't already.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Hmm...might just have to check that out. I have a few Gloomis GL3 rods that if these micro guides are that good, I will fore go and customize at least two of my GL3's with Micro Guides or.....the Duckett rods are the next must get target rods for next year.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

breezy wrote:I know you mentioned 'other BPS micro guide rods', but you may want to take a look at the Carbonlite rods as they now come with micros. After using a couple other rods in the price range, the Carbonlite is my favorite at ~$100 price point. Unfortunately I haven't used the Gander rods but I have been very pleased with the Carbonlite series. They are definitely worth a look if you haven't already.
I looked at them previously but went back to compare build quality and components. The X-Factor Micro Guide rod trumps the Cabonlite Micro Guide rod.

Gander Mountain - Xfactor Micro Guide Rod:
Fuji Micro Guides
Fuji Color Changing ECS/IPS Reel Seat (looks like a JDM rod reel seat and not your boring black/gray seat. Very nice finish)
80 Million Modulas Graphite
Life Time Warranty

BPS - Carbon Lite Micro Guide Rod:
Pac Bay Micro Guides
Unknown Reel Seat
Uknown Graphite
Unknown warranty (Guessing its about 3-5 yrs)

The Gander Mountain Xfactor Micro Guide Rod, on paper, seems the clear winner. As for the feel, its comparable or better than my Crucials but way lighter. Sensativity? - unknown yet. I may just pull the trigger on Gander Mountain's X-Factor Micro Guide rod and test it for one season.
**What is fishing?**