Dobyns DX701 spinning

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Dobyns DX701 spinning

Post by flywatersmallie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:04 am

Over the winter, I have proceeded to change all but one rod over to Dobyns stuff. That being a Legend Elite ML 6'6". I used that rod primarily for mid summer river smallies, specifically for 2" Senkos and 2" grubs on 1/16 oz football heads. My question for those of you who have experience with this rod (hopefully the ML Legend Elites too), is this rod really "fast"? So many rods, especially in the lighter powers are listed as fast but come across as moderate at best. I can't play with one in person to see for myself so I have to rely on you guys. I guess I don't want to order this stick and have it feel like bamboo. The light tip is great but there needs to be some backbone as well. Thanks!
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns DX701 spinning

Post by JDLaman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:19 am

I do not have experience with the DX701SF, but I do have quite a bit of experience with the DX701C and these two rods appear to use the exact same blank. The DX701C is definitely a fast action rod and is not a buggy whip at all. It is a light powered rod and will load nicely through the blank while fighting a fish but will not bend to the handle.

I also own a casting rod built on a St Croix 5S66MLF blank and it has ver similar characteristics to the DX701C but may be just a touch faster. Both have similar power under load.

Hopefully someone who has experience with the spinning version will chime in and confirm my suspicions.

Mike Andrews
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mike Andrews » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't bass fish but I do crappie fish and since last fall I've been using a pair of DX701SF's. I think you'll find it perfect for the weight range you fish. I fish brush piles in 12'-25' of water using 1/8 oz jig heads and various plastics and hand tied jigs. I've caught several bass up to about 4#'s with no issues so the rod has plenty of power. I think you'll like it and will likely be amazed at the sensitivity.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 pm

The DX701 is a great crappie and light dropshot rod. It's got a very soft tip but it's got some backbone as well. I wouldn't shakey head with this rod. To me it's my goto dropshot rod for clear, open water with light line applications. Super fun rod to fish with
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 am

It's an interesting rod. It's very crisp and feels more powerful than it is. It feels very fast when you're playing with it. I can cast further and more accurately with this than any other spinning rod. The tip will let you cast and work any bait from those tiny 1/16oz baits to 4" senkos. You really notice it's a light rod when you fish the 4" senkos.

It shuts off pretty far down but I would still call it a fast rod. Even when doubled over on a big fish, it still maintains enough control. I've caught fish up to 5 pounds and haven't felt undergunned.

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks guys! That's exactly what I was looking for. If I was going to drop all that coin for a spinning rod, I didn't want it to be a one trick pony. I wanted it to be on the same scale, versatility wise as the LE. I think its that and more. By the way, I just placed the order, should be here this week.

One other question for you guys.... What reel are you using on this rod? I had a 1000 size Stradic on the LE and it balanced pretty well. Will I be able to swap it over and maintain balance? or do I need to do some reel shopping now too. That would be a crying shame!
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Don't underestimate the power of the 701. Here is a thread I posted in the show and tell section with two bull reds I caught on the 701: http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29109

It really is an impressive rod.

Darkman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darkman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I have a Daiwa Exceller 1500 on my Dobys 701c...its about an 1oz. heavier than the stradic and it balances great...you should have no worries...you will love your combo

Darky
Erick Prado....Peace

Mike Andrews
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mike Andrews » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:46 am

I've got Stradic 1000's on mine and they balance perfectly IMHO. Unless you need the line capacity or increased drag of a 2500 stay with the 1000.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:06 am

Congrats on the new rod! You won't be dissapointed.

For what it's worth, I have mine paired with a Stradic Ci4 2500. The reel is light but the larger size helps with casting distance and line management.

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 am

It's here! Man this thing is sweet! Nice soft tip but its not a noodle by any stretch. EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks all! I would have to agree, the 1000 size Stradic balances very, very well on that rod. Line capacity wasn't really an issue as I plan to use 2/10 PowerPro with a floro leader as needed. Thanks again for your help! Its tough to drop that kind of coin without handling the rod first. Definitely not disappointed!
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff