Zillion Flippin Stick or Powell Endurance 775MH

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion Flippin Stick or Powell Endurance 775MH

Post by progressive816 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm pulling the trigger on one of these soon. I'm just torn between the two. It will be paired up with a Zillion 100PA or 100HA. It has to serve as a flippin stick, frog rod, and possibly hollow swimbaits. Primarily flippin though.

Without ever holding one or the other, here's what I like about them:

Zillion Flippin Stick
- Comfortable reel seat (I have a 7'MH model)
- Very positive review from TT on the other models.
- SIC guides
- Nice detailing
- Will match up nicely with Zillion reel.
- Stealthy looking
zillion.jpg
zillion.jpg (13.84 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
Powell Endurance Flippin Stick 775MH
- I've had good experience with their MAX series
- Like the idea of the smaller alconite guides
- I've heard the balance on it is good
- The purple is something different
- They're sold out on Powellco.com and also Tacklewarehouse so either they under produced or demand is higher than expected.
powell.jpg
powell.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
This is to be my last rod or reel purchase and it has to be at most, $220. I'm closing on a house so tackle funds will now be allocated to tools and equipment for a while. Which rod would you take or if you are an owner of one of these rods, please share your experience with it and what you use it for?
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Zillion Flippin Stick or Powell Endurance 775MH

Post by fishindrummer217 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:09 am

Man I am in the same boat as you. I am still in need of of frog and flippin stick and I'm about to close on a house so my fishin money will be gone. I usually want a different rod but go with a powell because of money but I am always happy with the powell. I was also looking at the 775, the only thing that worries me about this rod is the ex-fast action (i'd rather have a fast action flippin stick) and the balance. I also read where someone on here owns it and says it balances well but I still have my doubts because I know that the max flipping sticks are tip heavy and I don't think they changed so much on the endurance rods that the balance is all of a sudden great. The zillion I have read is one of the stiffer and fastest flipping sticks out there although I have never handled one.

afterbass
Angler
Angler

Post by afterbass » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:41 am

Funny you should ask..........I finally got out on the water twice this week and got to fish my 775. This is the longest rod I have, except for an 8' Daiwa mat special, which I never use because it is so heavy. IMO it balances quite nicely. It is matched with a TDZ Advantage super tuned. I used it for flipping tules and pulled two 2# and a 4#, out of fairly thick stuff. I am very happy with the handling, plus I like the purple. They do seem to be sold out every where and I don't what is up with that. I can't help you with the Zillion. I like Daiwa stuff but the zillion is one of the few rods I have never even seen. BTW did I mention catching that 4# yesterday was awesome!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:11 pm

progressive816 wrote: It has to serve as a flippin stick, frog rod, and possibly hollow swimbaits. Primarily flippin though.
The Zil is a good rod. I used it for flippin/pitching with primarily t-rigs with 1/2oz plus plastic. It'll work fine for frogs if you don't mind the length. I used it for hollowbodies as well as swimtails on jig (1/2oz) heads. Had it paired with a Curado E & braid.

Haven't fished the Endurance so I can't comment on it.

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:22 pm

civicrr wrote:
progressive816 wrote: It has to serve as a flippin stick, frog rod, and possibly hollow swimbaits. Primarily flippin though.
The Zil is a good rod. I used it for flippin/pitching with primarily t-rigs with 1/2oz plus plastic. It'll work fine for frogs if you don't mind the length. I used it for hollowbodies as well as swimtails on jig (1/2oz) heads. Had it paired with a Curado E & braid.

Haven't fished the Endurance so I can't comment on it.
civicrr,
How's the action on the Zillion flippin stick? Is it a little bit slower than their other models, or are they all super fast throughout the whole lineup? My 7MH (although not fished with yet) feels like it has a really fast tip.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Very similar to the other Zil rods that are labeled fast. If you are looking for a true moderate/fast rod, this probably isn't the rod for you. On the other hand, while fishing it, I didn't find that it was too fast. I found it easy to pitch with & detect bites. The rod is light & sensitive with decent balance.

afterbass
Angler
Angler

Post by afterbass » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:21 am

BTW..........Bass Tackle Depot has the Endurance 775 in stock.