How much over?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How much over?

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:47 am

Do you throw lures over your rods range? TT reviews often have a comment on a rods ability to do this, does this mean there is a margin of error built in to the ratings? Are some ratings inaccurate?

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How much over?

Post by darrin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 am

To throw weights over your rods range, you need to do a lob cast. Do not try to "snap" your wrists when casting or your tip might break. A smooth simple motion is all that is required. Hope this helps

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 am

I'd say some ratings are "conservative" as opposed to "inaccurate." The opposite is true as well in some cases. I have had rods rated to 1 oz. that I was scared to throw 3/4 oz. baits with.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 am

I find myself personally narrowing the weight range then whats stated on the rod.
I don't find it worth the effort to try and stretch or push the rods ability, sometimes it can make you feel like you are fishing backwards.
I just did my best to try to save up and get a good collection of rods covering all the weights I plan on fishing.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 am

I agree with all of the above.

Ratings are a guideline, not an absolute. Think of the ratings as more of a, "this rod is designed with lures of this weight range in mind", kind of a thing.

As you surpass your high end lure rating, you really need to avoid snap casting.

Vertical jigging straight below the boat and not actually casting allows you to go well over your lure rating. No stress on the rod.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 am

Just be safe, believe the rod ratings.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 am

vArm wrote:I find myself personally narrowing the weight range then whats stated on the rod.
Me too. Each rod seems to have a sweet spot. I usually do it on more on the high end than the lower. In other words, if the rating is 1/4 - 1oz, I'll us it for 1/4 - 3/4oz. As stated above, depends on the casting technique.

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 am

To me it also depends on the lure. With a rod rated 1/4-1oz I would throw up to a 3/4oz spinner or crank but I wouldn't throw over a 1/2oz jig.