Gander's GSX Titanium

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bass806
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Gander's GSX Titanium

Post by bass806 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Anyone fishing Gander Mountain's GSX Titanium rods? I just picked up 2-a 7' MH and 7' Med. I have a Calais on the MH and a 50Mg on the med. They seem to be sensitive, lite, and cheap ($99). Ive only yard fished with them so far, but they seem to be good rods. Any real world use/abuse? Also, anyone know who actually makes them?

Thanks

Fish The 219
Angler
Angler

Re: Gander's GSX Titanium

Post by Fish The 219 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 pm

I worked for Gander for a long time and have fished the 7'MH and the 7'M spinning rod in that series. Not a bad rod for the price, really. I've seen this years model but haven't handled it. Last years seemed to be a little lighter than what they were rated for but fished ok.
I believe they are still mass produced in China.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm

bass806 wrote: Also, anyone know who actually makes them?
I don't think you'll ever find the answer to that question. And even if you did, it would be some meaningless name that you couldn't tie to anything else.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

bass806
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bass806 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 pm

The Mh does feel a tad lite, but not too far off. If I can get on the water, I'll give them a workout and see.

Fish The 219
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish The 219 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 am

Mattman wrote:
I don't think you'll ever find the answer to that question. And even if you did, it would be some meaningless name that you couldn't tie to anything else.

I can give you an answer but its exactly what you said. Just a random name for a company Gander uses as a source for the mass production of all their rods.

There was a day long, long ago that St. Croix did make some of Ganders rods for them. But thats been 12 or 13 years ago.

mck1975
Angler
Angler

Post by mck1975 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am

Fish The 219 wrote:
Mattman wrote:

I can give you an answer but its exactly what you said. Just a random name for a company Gander uses as a source for the mass production of all their rods.

There was a day long, long ago that St. Croix did make some of Ganders rods for them. But thats been 12 or 13 years ago.
Not arguing the point at all, however a sales guy at the local Gander Mountain here in Canton told me this rod is made with St. Croix blanks. didn't know St, Croix had Titanium blanks.
GO BUCKS - O-H-I-O

Fish The 219
Angler
Angler

Post by Fish The 219 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:09 am

I don't want to say he was wrong, maybe just misinformed :whistle:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 am

mck1975 wrote:
however a sales guy at the local Gander Mountain here in Canton told me this rod is made with St. Croix blanks. didn't know St, Croix had Titanium blanks.

Even if the rod is made by St. Croix, it isn't a St. Croix rod or even a St. Croix blank.

St. Croix isn't going to send out their proprietary graphites, resins, and tapers to retailers for relabel at a lower price point.

The retailers like Gander, Dick's, Cabela's, etc, put out specifications on what they want in a rod. They can specify the graphite modulus, the resin formulation, graphite additives like titanium fiber, the taper, the guides, etc. Often times they even own the mandrels the blanks are rolled on. Most of the components are open market stuff, or specially made by other companies like Fuji. That way they can move the business around as they see fit.

The retailers also set their own quality expectation and the manufacturer has to live up to that. If St. Croix were doing the rods for them and Gander's quality expectation was lower than that of St. Croix's own internal expectation, they'd still build to Gander's specification. That's one of the ways to hit the price point.

I'm not saying the Gander rod is a bad rod. It's a Gander rod made by a facility that can meet the specifications and quality expectations that Gander has set.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods