Veritas spinning rod guides???

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mobassman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Veritas spinning rod guides???

Post by mobassman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 am

As you can see in the picture bellow, the guides are bent up at a high angle. Do you think it will effect the flow of line through the guides?????? I've tried to bend them down a little, but they wont budge. And I was also wondering if the guides are meant to be bent that much, or if its just a design flaw?? Any answers are greatly appreciated :D
Attachments
veritas guides 004.jpg
veritas guides 004.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
"Fishin ain't catchin"

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Veritas spinning rod guides???

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

I may wrong, but I believe they are supposed to be that way. I'm assuming it's because bending them forward like that puts them closer to the blank and makes an effectively smaller guide. If I'm correct, the guides should perform like slightly smaller, lower to the blank guides. And having smaller and lower guides is a proven method, just look at the Fuji Concept Guide system, Falcon's LowRider Guide system, and the extreme case: Micro Guides.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassdawg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Are they all bent like that ? I looked on the Abu Garcia site an you cant see a lot but they look more down an not bent as much .

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 pm

Could they use a little more epoxy!! :talk hand:

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm

bassdawg wrote:Are they all bent like that ? I looked on the Abu Garcia site an you cant see a lot but they look more down an not bent as much .
All of them I've looked at at stores have been like that. I'd email Abu and see if they give you a reason why they are like that, or at least if they're supposed to be like that.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 am

That just looks awful. I've seen other rods with bent line guides, but that's a shipping problem with too many rods stacked on top of each other.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 am

I'm 99% sure that's normal for the Veritas spinning guides -- a local store had a few dozen various length and action spinning rods in the Veritas line, and they are ALL like that.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:22 am

Boondock wrote:Could they use a little more epoxy!! :talk hand:

I looked at one the other day that had so much epoxy on the hook holder that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to keep your hook inplace. It was just a big blob of epoxy with the tiniest bit of the hook holder sticking out. Gotta love the quality control at AG. :roll:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:13 am

1. That's the way the spinning guides are supposed to be, which leads to the question, why would you bend the guide without knowing if it was correct or not?

2. I've seen epoxy issues on many brands of rod. Low dollar rods, high dollar rods, custom rods. I'm sure it never happens with Shimano rods though.