Loomis Deep Flex Crankbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
husker 1
Angler
Angler

Loomis Deep Flex Crankbait Rod

Post by husker 1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 am

I have the CBR843 and have owned the CBR845. I am basically looking for a rod that is a little "softer" or more moderate than the 845. I am considering the CBR864 DF. If anyone has fished with this rod, I would appreciate your comments.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Loomis Deep Flex Crankbait Rod

Post by karirick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:33 am

Husker,
I recently purchased that rod to replace my CBR 845C. Haven't fished it due to weather, but I think I am going to love this rod. It is a much softer (parabolic) rod and I think it will be perfect for me. It also has a longer handle, which is my main knock on the CBR series. Good luck and I will post as soon as I get it on the water.

Rick

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:52 am

I'd like to hear how you like it too.

I think it is great that they went to a longer rear handle. Like you, I didn't like the rear handle on the CBR rods. They're fine if you cast one handed but casting (overhead) with two hands just seems more natural/comfortable to me. Honestly, I think it would be cool if they changed the CBR series to a longer handle. I know that I am not alone as many people have posted about the handle length in the past.

As far as the parabolic action, I've read that it flexes deep like a 'glass rod but with the (faster) rebound of graphite. Can't imagine it would be anything but great for keeping fish pinned with treble hooks.

I'm really surprised that we haven't heard more about these rods & the jerkbait series.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:08 am

I've fished a couple of the Deep Flex rods a fair amount - the 896 and the 864. I'm a much bigger fan of less parabolic rods and love the action/power of the CBR 845 for example, but do wish the handle was a couple inches longer - like all the CBR series rods. For guys who prefer the glass rod feel with the advantages of a graphite blank, they're great rods. A good friend of mine who is a deep crank fanatic loves the 896 and uses the 864 for DT-10's and cranks like that. For me personally, they're just too parabolic for my tastes.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:30 am

bronzefly wrote: For me personally, they're just too parabolic for my tastes.
That is part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger even though I've wanted to since I saw the preview from ICast.
I haven't really felt 'comfortable' fishing a rod with a traditional 'glass' action.

husker 1
Angler
Angler

Post by husker 1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:23 am

I really like the 843 but didn't care for the 845, just wish they made a cbr844. Thinking I might not mind the action of the 864 if I like the 843 as this rods' action is much more parabolic than the 845?? Might have to pull the trigger on the 864 and give it a try.