TT rod review: Dobyns?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TT rod review: Dobyns?

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 am

bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:Ok
I don't know how to link a page to this post but if you go on tackle warehouse look at the picture of the Champion line
the Randy McAbee cranking rod to be specific and look at the cork handle Mr. Dobyns speaks about super quality AAA cork for these
rods then he sends this kind of specimen to tackle warehouse, what a joke this is a 250.00 rod yea I was hoping this
post was over but when I hear these kind of comments !

Can't help myself, keep digging. ](*,)
I don't care if its natural those are rots in the cork that piece should have never been used at least for a 250.00 rod
He made a video saying Super AAA cork obviously its not I like my rods to be perfect for that kind of money wouldn't you?
FYI I have falcon Cara Micro granted the handle is split but the cork is super clean my St.Croix Avid priced 65.00 less than Dobyn Champions is extremely super clean and so is my Slop-and Frog rod.
And of course when you call Customer service they are apologetic and it shouldn't never happen yea lack of quality
control that is why it happened.
Yes I consider that a quality issue but more of an issue from Dobyns with that "well lets put it out there if somebody complains we will fix mentality " that that is not good Customer Service in my book.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 am

Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:
I don't know how to link a page to this post but if you go on tackle warehouse look at the picture of the Champion line
the Randy McAbee cranking rod to be specific and look at the cork handle Mr. Dobyns speaks about super quality AAA cork for these
rods then he sends this kind of specimen to tackle warehouse, what a joke this is a 250.00 rod yea I was hoping this

I don't care if its natural those are rots in the cork that piece should have never been used at least for a 250.00 rod
He made a video saying Super AAA cork obviously its not I like my rods to be perfect for that kind of money wouldn't you?
FYI I have falcon Cara Micro granted the handle is split but the cork is super clean my St.Croix Avid priced 65.00 less than Dobyn Champions is extremely super clean and so is my Slop-and Frog rod.
And of course when you call Customer service they are apologetic and it shouldn't never happen yea lack of quality
Yes I consider that a quality issue but more of an issue from Dobyns with that "well lets put it out there if somebody complains we will fix mentality " that that is not good Customer Service in my book.
Anyone see any quality control issues on the rods in the pictures that I posted? :-k

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:29 am

At least it wasn't like my experience with G-Loomis..... IMX 783 C, third time fishing with it after purchased brand new at a local tackle shop, blank broke like a twig three inches from the tip. I call G-Loomis customer service and they say $100 to replace a rod I just paid $265 for, and it was the only replacement I get for this rod. Keep in mind I purchased this rod in July 2010 and it broke on August 13th, 2010. The Expiditer service had JUST changed. That was when I phased out my Loomis equipment and replaced everything with Dobyns.

I can handle a chipped guide insert which gets replaced within the week for free vs. a broken blank where the company wants to charge me more than 1/3 of the price of the rod to replace!!!! And I will add, the cork on ALL my Dobyns rods are superior to what was on my IMX sticks..... I would put the Champion series rods against any IMX series rod any day of the week. The components are better, they have better actions and lengths, they are more sensitive, and they balance better..... Oh, did I mention they are also less expensive and backed by a better warranty and replacement plan???

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if you have never fished a particular rod DO NOT promote it OR knock it!!!!!

With that said, what Dobyns rods have you personally fished PEGASUS?
Last edited by dan-k on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 am

bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:

Anyone see any quality control issues on the rods in the pictures that I posted? :-k
No Sir. If I went home and photographed my arsenal of Dobyns Rods it would be the same story...

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:59 am

Pegasus, I just want to make it clear to everyone. I respect your opinion and your passion when discussing fishing equipment. You have always been respectful to me. You have held your ground in your opinions and have not backed away. Personally even though I don't know you I think that you're probably a good guy. The only issue that I have ever had with you is that I felt that you were disrespectful to Fat-G.

I hope you keep an open mind when when it comes to fishing equipment and aren't afraid to look at all equipment

Have a good one.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:07 am

dan-k wrote:At least it wasn't like my experience with G-Loomis..... IMX 783 C, third time fishing with it after purchased brand new at a local tackle shop, blank broke like a twig three inches from the tip. I call G-Loomis customer service and they say $100 to replace a rod I just paid $265 for, and it was the only replacement I get for this rod. Keep in mind I purchased this rod in July 2010 and it broke on August 13th, 2010. The Expiditer service had JUST changed.
You should not have gone through the Expediter service. Expediter is a no fault replacement program - NOT a warranty process. If you felt it was a defect in materials, you should have gone through the warranty claim. From the G.Loomis website:

G.Loomis Limited Lifetime Warranty
G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels, Premier Rods (PMR) and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

* PLEASE NOTE: THIS WARRANTY PAGE ONLY APPLIES TO CUSTOMERS RESIDING IN NORTH AMERICA.

G.Loomis Rods: covered by a limited lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials

* The GLoomis factory will inspect the rod to determine cause of breakage

* For Damage determined to have occurred due to defect, GLoomis will, at the company's discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge

* Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company's discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee. (This is where the Expediter fee is applicable)

* A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any fees are levied.

For warranty claims:

* Ship the damaged rod in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a completed copy of our Web Warranty Return Form.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 am

dan-k wrote:
bstuckey wrote: Anyone see any quality control issues on the rods in the pictures that I posted? :-k
No Sir. If I went home and photographed my arsenal of Dobyns Rods it would be the same story...

Nor do I.

I handle more cork than most people and what was shown is pretty typical these days. Cork is a natural product with a lot of variation. Perfect cork does not exist.

Most all cork comes from one fairly small area and ultimately, from just a couple main sources.

What I receive today as the top of the line cork, would not even pass for 2nd tier cork from about 10 years ago. And top of the line cork today is costing over $3.00 per 1/2" thick x 1 1/4" diameter ring. An 18" rear grip for a Muskie rod is over $100 in material alone.

What I use as my every day grade of cork is still well above what I see on every factory rod I look at or any premade grip I see from rod building supply places. And that is at about $2 per ring. No labor, no machining. Material only. Even this cork is unaffordable by the factories. Imagine what rod prices would be like, even at this quality level.

I see too many people get fooled by grips that have their pits and veins filled well and color matched, and consider that good cork. They only start noticing after the filler starts changing color and/or dropping out of the grips. Good cork has a significant reduction in pits and veins, but they still exist. Filled pits and veins don't count towards the quality level of the cork.

This quality level of cork is going to cost you over $6 an inch...

Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am

Cal,

With all due respect, I was aware of the "WARRANTY" program prior to calling G-Loomis. My issue with that was the fact that I would pay $40-50 round trip to ship my rod and wait several weeks for them to evaluate the rod and determine if it was in fact a manufacturer defect. I know I did not personally do anything to damage the blank, but that is not saying some idiot did not walk into the store and use it in a sword fight with one of his buddies :lol: .... My biggest issue is; when I purchased a small arsenal of G-Loomis rods I considered it a long term investment. I am very careful with my gear, and don't expect to break rods on a routine basis. But, mistakes are made and rods do break. I have better peace of mind using a rod with a great replacement program should it break.

I have said it in other posts and I will say it again in this one: I feel G-Loomis pioneered the fishing rod industry and has become the baseline to which all others are compared. I also feel that G-Loomis has failed to keep in tune to what anglers want in today's market. In MY OPINION G-Loomis has been surpassed by other companies offering a better product, better pricing, and better customer service (Dobyns is absolutley one of those companies). I do thank Gary Loomis for his achievements in making modern fishing rods what they are and I hope he continues to do so with his newest venture........

Respectfully,
Dan

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am

Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:

Would you happen to have any relation to former TT member stefano. I recall him mentioning owning those exact rods and I believe he was the founder of the "dobyns has bad cork" foundation which started right before the site crashed. I'm surprised he has not chimed in yet and I wonder if you two are one in the same....nah couldn't be.?

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:38 am

fishindrummer217 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:

Would you happen to have any relation to former TT member stefano. I recall him mentioning owning those exact rods and I believe he was the founder of the "dobyns has bad cork" foundation which started right before the site crashed. I'm surprised he has not chimed in yet and I wonder if you two are one in the same....nah couldn't be.?

That just jogged my memory, you may be on to something there........

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:45 am

bstuckey wrote:Pegasus, I just want to make it clear to everyone. I respect your opinion and your passion when discussing fishing equipment. You have always been respectful to me. You have held your ground in your opinions and have not backed away. Personally even though I don't know you I think that you're probably a good guy. The only issue that I have ever had with you is that I felt that you were disrespectful to Fat-G.

I hope you keep an open mind when when it comes to fishing equipment and aren't afraid to look at all equipment

Have a good one.
Of Course I am a nice guy and I honestly had no idea of his age until I saw his video of the nice fish he caught
so in all truthfulness I did regret being harsh I also have a son who likes to fish and he admired Fat- G video.
Yes I am very passionate about fishing and my equipment and it would kill me to own a rod with an handle like that
I would have to cover it up it would be unbearable for me to look @ .
But thanks for the kind words.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:56 am

Ahh, he was just a little guy. :D

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 am

dan-k wrote:Cal,

With all due respect, I was aware of the "WARRANTY" program prior to calling G-Loomis. My issue with that was the fact that I would pay $40-50 round trip to ship my rod and wait several weeks for them to evaluate the rod and determine if it was in fact a manufacturer defect. I know I did not personally do anything to damage the blank, but that is not saying some idiot did not walk into the store and use it in a sword fight with one of his buddies :lol: .... My biggest issue is; when I purchased a small arsenal of G-Loomis rods I considered it a long term investment. I am very careful with my gear, and don't expect to break rods on a routine basis. But, mistakes are made and rods do break. I have better peace of mind using a rod with a great replacement program should it break.

I have said it in other posts and I will say it again in this one: I feel G-Loomis pioneered the fishing rod industry and has become the baseline to which all others are compared. I also feel that G-Loomis has failed to keep in tune to what anglers want in today's market. In MY OPINION G-Loomis has been surpassed by other companies offering a better product, better pricing, and better customer service (Dobyns is absolutley one of those companies). I do thank Gary Loomis for his achievements in making modern fishing rods what they are and I hope he continues to do so with his newest venture........

Respectfully,
Dan
Dan,

No issue with what you've stated above. My point is, there's a difference between the Warranty process and the Expeditor program. Anyone who experiences a break in the manner in which you did has the option to go through the normal warranty process - this has not changed and is pretty standard with all rod companies the only difference being how long the rod is covered. So, the wait period aside, there was an option available to you without having to spend the full $100 for the Expeditor.

Too many people confuse the two options as being one in the same. I'm glad you are aware of the difference.

Personally, I don't care for replacement programs. I'd rather pay less for a rod up front, than have a manufacturer build in a margin of error in the retail price to cover the difference in rod cost for the replacement program. Or ... give you the option of buying into a replacement program up front at the time of purchase much like the "extended warranty" option we are inundated with these days when purchasing electronics.

Cal
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 am

fishindrummer217 wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:

I do remember the posts but no I have no relation with the guy , but he did make some valid points if I remember correctly maybe he didn't re-register yet but hey maybe he should since I am all alone on this.
I actually just got my Falcon Cara Micro the other day its a real beast .

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 am

Cal,

Actually I chose neither option, never got it warrantied or replaced. I hung on to the rod until a month ago, when it went in partial trade for a 24 volt trolling motor for my boat. I was on the fence about which option to use, but in the mean time, I was buying up a bunch of Dobyns Rods :D