TT rod review: Dobyns?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TT rod review: Dobyns?

Post by Fat-G » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 am

bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Yep, the only thing I saw was a review of the gen 1 Extreme.

I'm not in any way a pro-staffer, never even held one of their rods. I don't want it to seem like I am "promoting" them, I have just asked a couple questions about them. I doubt any company would sponsor a random 17 yr. old kid that doesn't fish tournaments, LOL.

Yeap I hope I made my point with this guy :big grin:
And I see that your posts were removed for being off topic, abusive and inflammatory. [-X

So were Fat - G comments deleted but you never took noticed of it or mentioned it once again this post is lopsided
and unfair I am glad fishing season is around the corner.

Fat-G's comments were removed for being off topic. Attacking a 17 year old kid is not what T.T. is about and shouldn't be accepted. Fat-G probably doesn't have a lot of disposable income and is looking for as much information as he can find before plunking down his cash, ie posting about information regarding different rods and inquiring about a review. If you look back at his original post he was very interested in a St. Croix rod and thru poster information he then became interested in a Dobyns rod. Kids like Fat-G are our fishing future and I personally want to help him out with information if possible.
Thanks bstuckey, I appreciate it.

Pegasus- I'm sorry if I offended you with any of my posts, I didn't intend to if so. I think we should just move on. I too am glad the season is here.

Court
Angler
Angler

Post by Court » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm

So anyway, Dobyns rods, I like them alot.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 am

bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
bstuckey wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
Fat-G wrote:Yep, the only thing I saw was a review of the gen 1 Extreme.

I'm not in any way a pro-staffer, never even held one of their rods. I don't want it to seem like I am "promoting" them, I have just asked a couple questions about them. I doubt any company would sponsor a random 17 yr. old kid that doesn't fish tournaments, LOL.

Yeap I hope I made my point with this guy :big grin:
And I see that your posts were removed for being off topic, abusive and inflammatory. [-X

So were Fat - G comments deleted but you never took noticed of it or mentioned it once again this post is lopsided

Fat-G's comments were removed for being off topic. Attacking a 17 year old kid is not what T.T. is about and shouldn't be accepted. Fat-G probably doesn't have a lot of disposable income and is looking for as much information as he can find before plunking down his cash, ie posting about information regarding different rods and inquiring about a review. If you look back at his original post he was very interested in a St. Croix rod and thru poster information he then became interested in a Dobyns rod. Kids like Fat-G are our fishing future and I personally want to help him out with information if possible.

I did not attack him or use inflammatory language I don't think the word shut up is inflammatory
But anyway I don't want to argue anymore over this and I don't think its fair to push a product
to the point he did.
Dobyns Rods have quality issues I know it Mr. Dobyns knows it the whole fishing world knows it
it should be recognize and be dealt with, this is what being in business is all about " and just switching countries of
origin and factory doesn't cut it there is a whole lot of garbage coming out of both countries he should pay more attention to the product than the bottom line I hope this puts an end to it.

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:49 am

Hey Pegasus, I'm curious when is the last time you fished a dobyns rods?

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:03 am

A little back on topic... are there any plans for reviews on the DX743, DX744? I would really like to see how these rods compare to other rods, like the 7'1" Compile-X, 7' and 7'1" MBRs and BCRs, respectively. Love the technical data in the TT reviews, especially the RoD Deflection Chart.

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:15 am

Micropterus salmoides wrote:A little back on topic... are there any plans for reviews on the DX743, DX744? I would really like to see how these rods compare to other rods, like the 7'1" Compile-X, 7' and 7'1" MBRs and BCRs, respectively. Love the technical data in the TT reviews, especially the RoD Deflection Chart.
I'm with you there!!! I was hoping to see at least one Dobyns rod in the "search for the one" rod using the MBR783 GLX as the baseline.....

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 am

Dobyns are very good rods.
I own 10 Champions :big grin:

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:48 am

"Dobyns Rods have quality issues I know it Mr. Dobyns knows it the whole fishing world knows it
it should be recognize and be dealt with, this is what being in business is all about "

I've never heard of these issues, please enlighten us. Use your magifying glass if you have to, and post pictures. Please.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 am

dan-k wrote:
Micropterus salmoides wrote:A little back on topic... are there any plans for reviews on the DX743, DX744? I would really like to see how these rods compare to other rods, like the 7'1" Compile-X, 7' and 7'1" MBRs and BCRs, respectively. Love the technical data in the TT reviews, especially the RoD Deflection Chart.
I'm with you there!!! I was hoping to see at least one Dobyns rod in the "search for the one" rod using the MBR783 GLX as the baseline.....
X2

Yeap I hope I made my point with this guy :big grin:[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Fat-G's comments were removed for being off topic. Attacking a 17 year old kid is not what T.T. is about and shouldn't be accepted. Fat-G probably doesn't have a lot of disposable income and is looking for as much information as he can find before plunking down his cash, ie posting about information regarding different rods and inquiring about a review. If you look back at his original post he was very interested in a St. Croix rod and thru poster information he then became interested in a Dobyns rod. Kids like Fat-G are our fishing future and I personally want to help him out with information if possible.[/quote]

I did not attack him or use inflammatory language I don't think the word shut up is inflammatory
But anyway I don't want to argue anymore over this and I don't think its fair to push a product
to the point he did.
Dobyns Rods have quality issues I know it Mr. Dobyns knows it the whole fishing world knows it
it should be recognize and be dealt with, this is what being in business is all about " and just switching countries of
origin and factory doesn't cut it there is a whole lot of garbage coming out of both countries he should pay more attention to the product than the bottom line I hope this puts an end to it.[/quote]

You were rude and not respectful with your statements... now you question Mattmans removal of your statements? The mods at TT are very quality people, fair and just, please don't question their reasoning. [-X Fat-G wasn't pushing any product, please read his original post again, he was actually inquiring about a St. Croix rod. :shock:
OhioChamp183 wrote:Dobyns are very good rods.
I own 10 Champions :big grin:
Champ, you actually own some Dobyns rods, have you experienced these quality issues that Pegasus, Mr. Dobyns and the whole fishing world knows about?

Finally, I'm bored with this conversation and officially finish with my discussion, hopefully others will also. :-#

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 am

yea...........they have all kinds of quality issues! That's why I own 10 of them! :lol: :big grin:

I have definately heard of, along with every one else, about some issues on the Gen 1 rods (early models, pre 2009) but nothing on the Gen 2 rods (2009 & newer)
The issue "was" a breakage issue on the Gen 1 rods.

All 10 of mine are new Gen 2 Champion rods.
:big grin:

If we're gunna bad mouth a fishing rod, let's make it a little easier and truthful. How about Kistler rods!
Lucky Trey goes to confession every Sunday! 8-[

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:43 am

OhioChamp183 wrote:
If we're gunna bad mouth a fishing rod, let's make it a little easier and truthful. How about Kistler rods!
Lucky Trey goes to confession every Sunday! 8-[
Just when I didn't think this thread could take another bad turn, there it is! #-o

I didn't want to get involved in this thread, but the above comments was just too good.

Either way, I would still like to know about these quality issues that Pegasus, Mr. Dobyns, and the whole fishing world knows about.

I have 4 Dobyns rods, every one is beautiful and well crafted.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am

To all inquiring about Dobyns quality issues:

I have 5 Champions, 1 Savvy, and 2 Champion Extremes. I plan to add AT LEAST two more this year (684CB and an undecided Swimbait rig).

Last November I purchased my 5th Dobyns from a local dealer, it was my Champion 733C FH. I got it home, mounted a super tuned citica, and began stringing the 12 pound P-Line Fourocarbon through the guides. That is when I noticed the second giude from the reel seat had a small chip in it. I don't know if this rod left the factory in this condition or if it happened somewhere between there and the store shelf. I called Dobyns up, this was a friday I believe, and explained the problem. I also explained that I was going to the Cal Delta the next day and REALLY wanted to try this rod pitching senkos around boat docks. The rep at Dobyns said she would send out another rod to my dealer so I could do an in store swap out free of charge. She was also very appologetic and said this should have never happened. I whined a bit and said I was really looking forward to putting this rod through it's paces at the Delta and asked if I could still use it. She asked me to keep the cork cleen and worst case they would use it for a Demo rod. I ended up using it very minimal that weekend because the senko/dock pattern was not happening. The following Wednesday my new rod arrived and I did the swap.

Another Dobyns story: My 683C was somehow stepped on by a juvenile (one of my sons) and the tip guide insert was lost. I e-mailed Dobyns and explained the situation. Richard sent me two tip guides free of charge and I had them the next day.

Bottom line guys, every manufacturing company will have QC issues, but not many stand behind their products like Dobyns. I had a problem with one of their rods, but that has not stopped me from buying more and will not stop me from buying more in the future. I have tried most of the mainstream rod manufacturers products over the past two years and guess what, I am going exclusively Dobyns.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:20 am

Ok
I don't know how to link a page to this post but if you go on tackle warehouse look at the picture of the Champion line
the Randy McAbee cranking rod to be specific and look at the cork handle Mr. Dobyns speaks about super quality AAA cork for these
rods then he sends this kind of specimen to tackle warehouse, what a joke this is a 250.00 rod yea I was hoping this
post was over but when I hear these kind of comments !

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 am

Pegasus wrote:Ok
I don't know how to link a page to this post but if you go on tackle warehouse look at the picture of the Champion line
the Randy McAbee cranking rod to be specific and look at the cork handle Mr. Dobyns speaks about super quality AAA cork for these
rods then he sends this kind of specimen to tackle warehouse, what a joke this is a 250.00 rod yea I was hoping this

A dark streak in the cork is what you call serious quality issues? If so, I'd like to know what you fish and what quality it is. Cork is a type of wood, so therefore it has natural variations. The only other QC "issues" I've heard of is the occasional broken guide insert, but that's because the harder guide materials like SiC are brittle, it's the nature of the beast.

Here is the picture of the supposed low quality cork. Which still looks many times better than the my 3 Loomis IMX rods that retail for $20-40 more than the Champion series.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 am

Pegasus wrote:Ok
IMG_0003.JPG
Top to bottom. 3 Champs: 735C, 736C, 682C. 3 Extremes; DX703C, DX742SF, DX744C
IMG_0003.JPG (66.97 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (76.87 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG (47.4 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Can't help myself, keep digging. ](*,)
Last edited by bstuckey on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.