Crankbait setup

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Crankbait setup

Post by chasiubao73 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:46 pm

I just picked up a 7'7 Cumara Reaction Cranking rod (Medium Power Fast Action. Line rating 10-20lbs. Lure rating 3/8 to 3/4oz). I was intending on using it for shallow to mid cranks in the 3/8oz. to 1/2oz. range. I have had no time on the water with it since I received it today. But, the rod seems it can handle deep cranks as well. The action is also on the faster side, I might actually try it for light jigs and soft plastics as well.

It's an interesting rod. If my theory holds true, this could be one versatile stick.

So my point is that if you are planning on bringing a limited number of rods on your boat, the Cumara Reaction 7'7 Medium might be able to handle multiple duties other than cranks. But, like I said, I have not fished the rod yet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Sounds like a job for a heavy powered mod-fast in 7'0" + and a good low to mid ("mid" these days anyway) gear ratio power crankin' reel.

I would wager a 906 MHX CB Blend would be a good ticket...I can cast 3/8oz DTs to 1oz + rattlebaits a LONG way with this blank, have all the backbone, a mod-fast tip for forgiveness, but move all the line needed to hook and fight a fish all the way back in.

Yes, these type blanks/rods will indeed handle big fish...even 20lb + foul hooked uglies like this beeg girl:

"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm

bigrand33 wrote:Will the 764CB RM rip baits free from grass better or worse than the 765CB Glass?

Rand
I still have pulled the trigger on the 765Cb Glass but I know the 764Cb RM rips 'em out of the grass just fine. :D

I like my Curado 50E but I wouldn't use it for cranking. The Core 50, which has the same line capacity, would get spooled on the cast. ](*,) In other words, I had to stop the cast so I had some line left on the spool!

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 pm

OhioChamp183 wrote:For a reel, if ya like Daiwa, the Crazy Cranker Zillion, 4.9:1 ratio is a good one, and if Shimano, get a 200E5 or 201E5, 5.1:1 ratio.
Unfortunately there is NO 201E5. :crying:

Perry

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I have one Powell, 4 Loomis and 2 Phenix crankbait rods (no Dobyns - yet) --- ranging from really light (designed to throw 1/4 oz and less baits) to deep cranking. I think the Loomis 845 and the Phenix X10 are the most versatile of what I have. The light weight cranker gets a Shimano 51E while the deep cranker is going to get a Chronarch 101BPV (5.1:1 ratio). The others get Daiwa Alphas.

Perry

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adam ochoa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 am

A Powell 706CB is a great all around cranking rod. It works well for most of your reaction bait applications and comes in graphite or glass. Take a look at the Powell 726CB Endurance rod as another option as well.