Cumara vs. Champion

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dan-k
Angler
Angler

Re: Cumara vs. Champion

Post by dan-k » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Now you got me thinking.... I bought that rod for mostly deep water jigs and light to moderate cover pitching, BUT I have only used it twice now and only for jigs. I did manage to hook up with a 4.5 on Saturday using the 744 and it handled it perfectly. It was in open water though, only some rocks and boulders to contend with. I won't be on the Delta until May, as my tournament schedule has me prefishing elsewhere until then. So as a true pitching stick I'll have to wait until then to make a determination. Civicrr should be able to help you out better in that department, I'm pretty sure he has a 744.... I can say that i really liked my 735 for pitching at the Delta, plus it's all odd numbers ;)

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Fat-G wrote:As stupid as this is, I would rather have a 7'4 rod than a 7'3, just because the 4 is an even number. No, I'm not kidding.
interesting. my chinese brethen might avoid a 7'4" rod because the number four in the chinese language sounds like "death". on the other hand, 7'4" is also 88 inches and "88" is considered lucky. but, everyone has their own priorities...i feel sheepish admitting that i sold my curados because the green color clashed with the blue of my dobyns rods :lol:

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 am

21farms wrote:
Fat-G wrote:As stupid as this is, I would rather have a 7'4 rod than a 7'3, just because the 4 is an even number. No, I'm not kidding.
interesting. my chinese brethen might avoid a 7'4" rod because the number four in the chinese language sounds like "death". on the other hand, 7'4" is also 88 inches and "88" is considered lucky. but, everyone has their own priorities...i feel sheepish admitting that i sold my curados because the green color clashed with the blue of my dobyns rods :lol:
I'd never admit that anywhere but TackleTour! :lol: Luckily, we understand. :)

Fat-G, I still say go for the DX744C. You like 4" better than 3". Your Curado will match it better. And deep down, you really want one. If you buy the 734, you'll still want the 744 and will end up buying one eventually. I've learned that lesson the hard (and expensive) way.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 am

BB144 wrote:
21farms wrote:
I'd never admit that anywhere but TackleTour! :lol: Luckily, we understand. :)

Fat-G, I still say go for the DX744C. You like 4" better than 3". Your Curado will match it better. And deep down, you really want one. If you buy the 734, you'll still want the 744 and will end up buying one eventually. I've learned that lesson the hard (and expensive) way.
Fate caused me to read this thread. Now I understand the reason. I felt uncomfortable using 6' or 6'6" rods.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 am

Haha what a great thread. In all honesty I will probably have to get the DX744. You're right, I'll end up buying it anyway.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 am

BB144 wrote:Fat-G, I still say go for the DX744C...Your Curado will match it better.
dang, how come that never occurred to me? instead of selling the curados, i should have sold the champions and gotten the extremes. ](*,) the orangey-green flip-flop paint on the extremes would look great with the green reels.

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 am

21farms wrote:

LOL, that's why I put super tuned citicas on my champions! I added curado spools and a bearing at the mainshaft, plus polished some key spots. This is the first time I have admitted that to anyone but myself. I have to say, the citicas look dang good on a champion!!!

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:44 am

dan-k wrote:LOL, that's why I put super tuned citicas on my champions! I added curado spools and a bearing at the mainshaft, plus polished some key spots. This is the first time I have admitted that to anyone but myself. I have to say, the citicas look dang good on a champion!!!
dan, thank you for that confession...makes me feel better :mrgreen: at one time, i bought a coastal zillion for my 735c but that combo was just too purty to fish with so i sold it before actually ever using it. now, i too use upgraded citicas on some of my champions (i installed 7:1 and 5:1 gearsets and ordered the black core MGFV handles with the big septon knobs).

dan-k
Angler
Angler

Post by dan-k » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 am

21farms wrote:
dan-k wrote:LOL, that's why I put super tuned citicas on my champions! I added curado spools and a bearing at the mainshaft, plus polished some key spots. This is the first time I have admitted that to anyone but myself. I have to say, the citicas look dang good on a champion!!!
dan, thank you for that confession...makes me feel better :mrgreen: at one time, i bought a coastal zillion for my 735c but that combo was just too purty to fish with so i sold it before actually ever using it. now, i too use upgraded citicas on some of my champions (i installed 7:1 and 5:1 gearsets and ordered the black core MGFV handles with the big septon knobs).
Nice, i have to further admit, I seriously considered putting coastals on my champions. I did not because I prefer Shimano reels.... I sure was close though!!

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

It seems I'm surrounded by Shimano fans... :|

Coastal Zillion looks the best on the Champ, IMO. My Viento looks great too, as does my new plain silver BPS Pro Qualifier.

But if you insist on putting a curado on it, go with the DX. There's quote a difference between the Champs and the DXs.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 am

21farms wrote:
interesting. my chinese brethen might avoid a 7'4" rod because the number four in the chinese language sounds like "death". on the other hand, 7'4" is also 88 inches and "88" is considered lucky. but, everyone has their own priorities...
Hahaha.
i feel sheepish admitting that i sold my curados because the green color clashed with the blue of my dobyns rods [/b] :lol:
I do it too Snoops. Curados match well with the DX =P

As for the topic, personally I prefer the Cumaras especially the Reaction series. I've played around with the Champions cranking rods and I prefer the Cumara Reaction crankbait series. But, you really cannot go wrong with either really. It just comes down to personal preference.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 am

BB144 wrote:It seems I'm surrounded by Shimano fans... :|
haha, not here. i'm a fan of quality. i have shimanos but also revos, daiwas, etc. i'm itchin' to add a lew's tournament pro speed spool next...mostly for the nostalgia but i'm hoping it'll be a great reel too.