Rod Weights

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
stillapfg
Angler
Angler

Re: Rod Weights

Post by stillapfg » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm

UFM 2012 Smasher Ltd P/C/G + Racing Screw Option

7'1'' MH/ 78g (2.75oz)

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 am

• phenix M1 MX-72H (7'2" heavy power/extra fast action): 4.1 ounces
  • shimano crucial (new model) spinnerbait rod CRCSB610MHA (6'10" medium-heavy power/fast action): 4.2 ounces

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 am

Crucial spinnerbait could be on the shortlist. How well does it balance?

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 am

Anyone know the weight of Dobyns Savvy 734C? I know that there are quite a few of you who have one. 8-)

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 am

bassninja wrote:Anyone know the weight of Dobyns Savvy 734C? I know that there are quite a few of you who have one. 8-)

I sure do but, I also have no clue on the weight. Other than that, it's a well balance rod. Since it’s well balanced, half once to a once heavier isn't noticeable on a Dobyns compared to other rod companies. To me, weight doesn't matter if the rod feels right in my hands.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:13 am

bassninja wrote:Crucial spinnerbait could be on the shortlist. How well does it balance?
i've used it with a chronarch 200E and a zillion CC...honestly, i never even notice how well it balances since the only time i notice balance is when the combo feels terrible together. however, i was preparing for my third trip out with it and was tightening the reel down when the rear part of the grip broke loose. i sent it back to shimano and they had a brand new one to me in 5 days. i have only used the new one once but i noticed the rear part of the handle (which locks the reel in place) naturally seemed to want to untighten every time i was holding the rod in my left hand and hoisted a fish as the rod wanted to roll down my palm...really bugged me. if i switch to holding the rod in my right hand, that won't be a problem since the "rolling action" will be in the opposite direction and actually tighten the reel seat every time i hoist a fish.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 am

bassninja wrote:Anyone know the weight of Dobyns Savvy 734C? I know that there are quite a few of you who have one. 8-)
i had the champion 734C and it weighed 4.9 ounces...i'd be curious myself how much the savvy version weighs.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:59 am

basskeeter1 wrote:

I sure do but, I also have no clue on the weight. Other than that, it's a well balance rod. Since it’s well balanced, half once to a once heavier isn't noticeable on a Dobyns compared to other rod companies. To me, weight doesn't matter if the rod feels right in my hands.
I've owned rods from both Champion and Champion Extreme series. +1 that Dobyns puts out some well-balanced rods. I was just curious about the overall weight of the Savvy 734C.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:27 am

21farms wrote:
bassninja wrote:Crucial spinnerbait could be on the shortlist. How well does it balance?
i've used it with a chronarch 200E and a zillion CC...honestly, i never even notice how well it balances since the only time i notice balance is when the combo feels terrible together. however, i was preparing for my third trip out with it and was tightening the reel down when the rear part of the grip broke loose. i sent it back to shimano and they had a brand new one to me in 5 days. i have only used the new one once but i noticed the rear part of the handle (which locks the reel in place) naturally seemed to want to untighten every time i was holding the rod in my left hand and hoisted a fish as the rod wanted to roll down my palm...really bugged me. if i switch to holding the rod in my right hand, that won't be a problem since the "rolling action" will be in the opposite direction and actually tighten the reel seat every time i hoist a fish.
That's something that I really don't like about where Shimano went with their rod lineup - The whole uplocking reel seat using the rear grip assembly. It wasn't much of issue for me on my Cumara spinning rods because my whole hand is practically resting over the insert and not so much the rear grip. But on casting rods, my palm is pretty much connected to the rear grip. And that's a part where I don't want to have any kind of movement. Oh well, I cast and hold the rod with my right hand so maybe it won't be as much of an issue for me afterall. 8-)

johnfuture
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by johnfuture » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 pm

this is why i love tackle tour. thanks guys.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am

Hey guys, my Dobyns Savvy 734C with split grip weighs 5.2 oz. A bit heavier than I thought it would be but it balances beautifully.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 am

anybody know the weights of the omen and envy series? thx

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 am

5poundhooker wrote:Rod weights are great to know in advance, but balance is far more important as is sensitivity and crispness(the spring-like action a high modulus gives when casting). The same size, power and action rod as the NRX 822 spinning can be built lighter and better for about $150 plus time yourself or labor for someone else. They are way out of the ballpark on price. No bass rod is worth $500 period. I'll bet those blanks are $100 to make or less and the craftsmanship seems to be done by complete amateurs.
I have to agree about the importance of where the weight is (rod balance) in relation to overall weight.
I used to use BPS rods and their butt weighted balancing system, and I got my flipping rod so well balanced it felt weightless in my hand when I was flipping. I know a lot has to do with the lure weight, and the technique involved, but, for me, having a light but balanced setup is more important that just light.
I just weighed three rods, a Powell 712cef, a Diawa lite and tough frog rod, and a Shimano Compre worm and jig rod, to see why the Compre felt so heavy. Lo and behold, it was the lightest of the three rods but felt the heaviest when I fished it, by far.
So, for me, where the weight is located is critical.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Duckett White Ice
DFWI73MH-C
Timmy Horton Pro Series Model
7'3" Medium Heavy Action

4.8 oz

Powerful blank, true power and action rating. Definitely lives up to it's billing as an all purpose rod and does a lot well.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:22 am

Does anyone have the weights of the NRX Green spinning rods? 802S, 803S and 852S