New crankbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jpav121
Angler
Angler

New crankbait rod

Post by jpav121 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:13 am

Looking to purchase a new crankbait rod for medium divers/lipless. Would like a longer rod for distance. Leaning towards the Dobyns 764CB RM, but am open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Trick 'em & stick 'em

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New crankbait rod

Post by BB144 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 am

The 764CB RM was one my top picks for my latest crankbait rod (going to cover all my med and deep and heavy shallow cranks), but I ended up going with the 765CB Glass. The 764CB RM should handle what you're planning on throwing perfectly. The only other one I'd recommend would be the 705CB, but that is shorter than you wanted (I like the 7'6" for cranks, but prefer a 7' for lipless cranks)
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:17 pm

jpav121 wrote:Looking to purchase a new crankbait rod for medium divers/lipless. Would like a longer rod for distance. Leaning towards the Dobyns 764CB RM, but am open to other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Very nice rod for what you want to do with it. or if you like glass rods the 765 CB would work very well also.

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Thanks for the input guys. How does the 765CB handle weights at the lighter end of its lure rating? Might decide to go this route and save a couple of bucks.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:06 pm

The 764CB RM is an incredible cranking stick. I was told it was designed for for throwing the Norman Deep Lil N. When I first got the rod, I bought one to try out to see how I liked it. After that first outing, I got home & ordered up another right away. :D

I've been using it since last year, when it supplanted all my cranking sticks, for everything from....well pretty much everything cranking. :D I using it for lures from 5/16-3/4oz & it has worked well. Topwater, shallow, mid, ripbaits, lipless & the occasional deep diver.

I usually throw shallow & mid cranks from 3/8-5/8. I find that the rod excels for these lures/weights.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:10 pm

jpav121 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. How does the 765CB handle weights at the lighter end of its lure rating? Might decide to go this route and save a couple of bucks.
With the right reel, I could see the 765CB throwing down to 1/4oz lures, but I think its sweet spot is going to be 1/2-3/4. I haven't gotten to use it yet, since I bought in it November (Black Friday sale) and the ice hasn't melted yet... But from practicing casting in the snow a bit, it seems to do fine down to 3/8 and lacks a little distance with the 1/4oz that I think you'd get from a 4 power rod. Personally, I'm going to keep throwing my 1/4oz cranks on my 7' Med/Mod custom CB rod.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:35 pm

The Shimano Cumara Reaction CUC711M is a nice rod for that application.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm

BB144 wrote:The 764CB RM was one my top picks for my latest crankbait rod (going to cover all my med and deep and heavy shallow cranks), but I ended up going with the 765CB Glass. The 764CB RM should handle what you're planning on throwing perfectly. The only other one I'd recommend would be the 705CB, but that is shorter than you wanted (I like the 7'6" for cranks, but prefer a 7' for lipless cranks)
Do you think that the 765CB glass would be good for DD22's as well? I also thought about looking into the Lamiglass Skeet Reese cranking rods. I have mostly Dobyn's but love the dark yellow color on them.
I also love the Lucky Craft LCM 701MHF BDS for shallow to med cranks. Just wish the rod was a little lighter.

Referring back to the original post. What reel will you be using for your cranking?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Check out the Phenix cranking rods. TT gave the X10 a rave review.

Perry

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
BB144 wrote:The 764CB RM was one my top picks for my latest crankbait rod (going to cover all my med and deep and heavy shallow cranks), but I ended up going with the 765CB Glass. The 764CB RM should handle what you're planning on throwing perfectly. The only other one I'd recommend would be the 705CB, but that is shorter than you wanted (I like the 7'6" for cranks, but prefer a 7' for lipless cranks)
Do you think that the 765CB glass would be good for DD22's as well? I also thought about looking into the Lamiglass Skeet Reese cranking rods. I have mostly Dobyn's but love the dark yellow color on them.
I also love the Lucky Craft LCM 701MHF BDS for shallow to med cranks. Just wish the rod was a little lighter.

Referring back to the original post. What reel will you be using for your cranking?
The 765CB Glass will be great for deep divers like DD22s. I personally don't do a lot of deep cranking, mostly because I never had a good rod for it. Throwing 1/2oz+ cranks on a 7' Med/Mod rod is tough! The 765 had a great tip to it, making it able to handle the lower end of its weight range fairly well with the right reel, but this really is a powerhouse of a cranking rod. I'm still amazed at the backbone this rod has for a glass rod. I can't imagine that backbone of the 805CBRM, lol.

My buddy built a custom CB rod on the 7'6" MH Lamiglas blank. It's got almost identical ratings to the 765CB Glass. So I think both would suit throwing similar cranks. I'll be using mine to throw DD22s, SK Series 5-6, Little John DD, and some of my heavier medium and shallow divers.

I will definitely report back on this rod once I get it out on the water (which might be soon if this rain keeps up and melts all the ice! [-o< [-o< [-o< )
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 am

BB144 wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:

The 765CB Glass will be great for deep divers like DD22s. I personally don't do a lot of deep cranking, mostly because I never had a good rod for it. Throwing 1/2oz+ cranks on a 7' Med/Mod rod is tough! The 765 had a great tip to it, making it able to handle the lower end of its weight range fairly well with the right reel, but this really is a powerhouse of a cranking rod. I'm still amazed at the backbone this rod has for a glass rod. I can't imagine that backbone of the 805CBRM, lol.

My buddy built a custom CB rod on the 7'6" MH Lamiglas blank. It's got almost identical ratings to the 765CB Glass. So I think both would suit throwing similar cranks. I'll be using mine to throw DD22s, SK Series 5-6, Little John DD, and some of my heavier medium and shallow divers.

I will definitely report back on this rod once I get it out on the water (which might be soon if this rain keeps up and melts all the ice! [-o< [-o< [-o< )
I am eager to read about your experiences, thanks for the info.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

afterbass
Angler
Angler

Post by afterbass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 am

Zodiak311..........I have been using a Lamiglass SR 705R for a couple of years. I, too, like the look of it. I have it matched with the Skeet Reese Abu reel, which is awesome. I have used it with mostly medium diving crankbaits and have been happy with it.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 am

afterbass wrote:Zodiak311..........I have been using a Lamiglass SR 705R for a couple of years. I, too, like the look of it. I have it matched with the Skeet Reese Abu reel, which is awesome. I have used it with mostly medium diving crankbaits and have been happy with it.
Would you get the 7'6" for throwing DD22's?

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 am

Check out Powell Cranking rod, I have the Max Glass Spook-Trap rod from TW
This rod is for lipless crank, but I like to throw big crank with it too 8-)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 am

zodiak311 wrote:
afterbass wrote:Zodiak311..........I have been using a Lamiglass SR 705R for a couple of years. I, too, like the look of it. I have it matched with the Skeet Reese Abu reel, which is awesome. I have used it with mostly medium diving crankbaits and have been happy with it.
Would you get the 7'6" for throwing DD22's?
Whatever rod company you go with, I would suggest a 7'6" or longer. Also, don't forget, you'll need a reel powerful enough to crank that deep diver with. I was using an Alphas reel a couple of weeks ago and it was waaaay overmatched. :doh: Came home and instantly slapped a round reel on the rod.

Perry