Legend Elite vs. Dobyns Extreme

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Legend Elite vs. Dobyns Extreme

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 am

For some reason I just think the Elite is the most beautiful rod I've ever layed eyes on.

For my next rod, I'm going all out on one of these. Well, maybe not next, gotta get a Cumara spinning rod and a flippin' stick first, LOL.

So how do the Elite and Champion Extreme compare, sensitivity and balance wise? Specifically the 70MHF and DX704. they have the same lure weight range.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Legend Elite vs. Dobyns Extreme

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 am

I've owned the LTB & Elite version of that (7' MHF) rod. I've not owned the DX704 but do own a couple of DX744.

The LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait is a very versatile rod. Unfortunately, IMO, it is pretty darn tip heavy. The Elite is definitely more sensitive, lighter in hand & slightly better balanced than the LTB version. I remember getting my first Elite rod & comparing it to the LTB version. The increased sensitivity was a revelation. :D

As a general statement, something I believe is universally regarded as a given, is that longer rods are harder to 'balance'. With that being said....

I feel that the DX744 balances better than the Elite (7' MHF). Sensitivity is at least as good. Both rods look really nice IMO with quality construction & attention to detail in both. Now, something to be aware of is the actions of the rod are different. While both are listed as being Fast Action rods, the St Croix has a faster action than the Dobyns. Personally, I prefer the DX744. :D

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 am

Excellent stuff civic, thank you. It's gonna be hard for me to kick the idea of having the Elite with a Curado and braid for jigs and plastics, but I guess I'll have to!

I'll probably get the 744, I like full cork grips for jigs and plastics. Paired with a Curado of course.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 am

Fat-G, you won't go wrong with either of those rods. With that being said, I'm in the process of switching over from St Croix and Loomis over to Dobyns. :big grin:

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 am

civicrr wrote:I've owned the LTB & Elite version of that (7' MHF) rod. I've not owned the DX704 but do own a couple of DX744.

The LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait is a very versatile rod. Unfortunately, IMO, it is pretty darn tip heavy. The Elite is definitely more sensitive, lighter in hand & slightly better balanced than the LTB version. I remember getting my first Elite rod & comparing it to the LTB version. The increased sensitivity was a revelation. :D

As a general statement, something I believe is universally regarded as a given, is that longer rods are harder to 'balance'. With that being said....

I feel that the DX744 balances better than the Elite (7' MHF). Sensitivity is at least as good. Both rods look really nice IMO with quality construction & attention to detail in both. Now, something to be aware of is the actions of the rod are different. While both are listed as being Fast Action rods, the St Croix has a faster action than the Dobyns. Personally, I prefer the DX744. :D
What are you using your 744 for ?

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:10 am

I use my DX744 primarily for jigs and soft plastics, but it can literally be used for anything. If I had to pick one rod to fish with and couldn't use any other, it would be the DX744. Excellent all around rod. The only thing I wouldn't throw with it is cranks, but if you had to it's not too fast that it couldn't be done.

fishfry
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fishfry » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I would go with the Dobyns and I really like the Elite Croixs. I do not own a Dobyns rod, but I do not like the ACS reel sets on the St Croix rods. They cramp my hands. I have had both the new xtremes and the new elites and sold them both for that reason. I still like the 2005 bown blanks with the fuji.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32 pm

I don't think you could go wrong with either rod.

I haven't gotten to use a St Croix Elite or Extreme, but I love my Dobyns DX rods.

It's definitely a tough decision, so the only rational option is to buy both! :big grin: :lol:
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Craiger12 wrote:I use my DX744 primarily for jigs and soft plastics, but it can literally be used for anything. If I had to pick one rod to fish with and couldn't use any other, it would be the DX744. Excellent all around rod. The only thing I wouldn't throw with it is cranks, but if you had to it's not too fast that it couldn't be done.
Well I really like a stiffer action for jigs. So is it not what I'm looking for? I like the action of my Cumara CUC-72MHF for jigs, I just want a more sensitive rod (which is hard to imagine right now, LOL). I definitely want a versitile rod, especially if I'm going to have to save up $300. Being 17 is tough, LOL.

By the way, I'm comparing the St. Croix Legend Elite and the Dobyns Champion Extreme, the Croix Legend Extreme isn't even being considered. I understand how that would be confusing though.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:22 pm

The tip is plenty stiff for jigs IMO. It is not an extra-fast action, but seems a little faster than most fast action rods I have used.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Fat-G wrote:
What are you using your 744 for ?
Fat-G,
I primarily use the rod for t-rig from 3/16-1/2 plus plastic & jigs in the 3/8-1/2oz with plastic. I have & can use it for many other applications. Really depends on which rods are on the boat that day.

Other applications include: open water frogging; super spook; swimjigs 3/16-3/8 with plastic; 6" senko; 5" hollowbelly swimbaits & fishtrap/big hammer swimtails on jig heads.

Don't do it a lot but I have C-rigged on it with 1/2oz plus lizard. I'm not a huge c-rig user so I haven't really played with different weights. I do feel it'd work fine with heavier weights. Just guessing but I'm sure going to 3/4oz would be fine.

As far as it being fast enough for jigs (compared to that Cumara), it'll work great. Got a couple the other day on some footballs jigs.:D

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:03 pm

Wow, EXCELLENT info guys. Thank you very much.

Just as a safe guard incase I want to get two Champions, which Champion model would be the most comparable to the DX744?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:11 pm

Fat-G wrote:
Just as a safe guard incase I want to get two Champions, which Champion model would be the most comparable to the DX744?
Champion 734C. The 734 is actually the rod that kicked my Cumara off the boat. :D

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:51 pm

civicrr wrote:
Fat-G wrote:
Champion 734C. The 734 is actually the rod that kicked my Cumara off the boat. :D
Changed my mind, I don't need a $330 rod for fishing ponds, I'm going with the Champion 734c.

I just hope it will handle jigs, t-rigs, and Rage Thumpers well.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 pm

it will do just fine.. ;)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats