What rods are still manufactured in the U.S.A?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What rods are still manufactured in the U.S.A?

Post by falcon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 am

Zombies may be assembled here but the blank is from overseas if I recall correctly
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:44 am

falcon wrote:Zombies may be assembled here but the blank is from overseas if I recall correctly
That's what I thought too, but wanted to confirm it.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:19 am

I love it, "Who's on first" I don't know, no, "He's on second". (old joke)

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm

castaway ?

crowder rods are made in Stuart ,FL

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 am

Phenix Rods is based in the US. Not sure where the rods are made.

They have some bad a$$ rods coming out. Have heard nothing but good things .. I want ONE!!!

http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=26
"It's In...Oh My God...It's In"
McLovin, Superbad

ZRTJ
Angler
Angler

Post by ZRTJ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:11 am

As the "Head Zombie", I just want to make sure that there's no confusion about our rods.

Zombie has never claimed to be "Made in USA" or "Manufactured in USA". Rods from Zombie Rod & Tackle, Inc. do not meet the criteria of "Made in USA", nor do most other rods. To meet the guidelines set forth by FTC, the reel seats, guides, grip material and so on would need to be of US origin. Right off the bat, Fuji guides and reel seats are made in Japan which would eliminate our ability to claim "Made in USA". That said, part of the assembly takes place here, but we do not claim and have not claimed to be manufactured or made in the USA. With thousands of pro-staffers in the market place from many of the manufacturers, I see claims of rods being made or manufactured in the USA and most manufacturers do not correct these statements. I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but I think we all need to make sure that the market understands that there are very few rods that can legitimately/legally claim "Made in USA" or "Manufactured in USA"... not even custom rods ;)

Here's the FTC standards:
A Made in USA claim can be express or implied.

Examples of express claims: Made in USA. "Our products are American-made." "USA."

In identifying implied claims, the Commission focuses on the overall impression of the advertising, label, or promotional material. Depending on the context, U.S. symbols or geographic references (for example, U.S. flags, outlines of U.S. maps, or references to U.S. locations of headquarters or factories) may convey a claim of U.S. origin either by themselves, or in conjunction with other phrases or images.

Example: A company promotes its product in an ad that features a manager describing the "true American quality" of the work produced at the company’s American factory. Although there is no express representation that the company’s product is made in the U.S., the overall — or net — impression the ad is likely to convey to consumers is that the product is of U.S. origin.

The Standard For Unqualified Made In USA Claims
What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.
What does "all or virtually all" mean?

"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.
Justin Fearn
"The Head Zombie"

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 am

Since Zombie is clearing things up, are any of your blanks made in the US? Which rods do you assemble in the US?

ZRTJ
Angler
Angler

Post by ZRTJ » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 am

The blanks aren't made here. Part of the assembly on every rod is performed here because there were a few items we could not consistently get done right overseas so we have to do some of the work here. Every aspect of the assembly and manufacturing of our rods has been carefully analyzed to be sure it's cost effective and each and every rod performs well. Keep in mind that we're supplying rods to the market that are equal to rods that cost significantly more. We're still at a higher price point, but like one of the TT guys said in a review of one of our rods:

"scary attention to detail"

and in the TT preview article:

"If I had to guess how much these rods cost I would have said near the 400 dollar price point, I was surprised to discover they range from only $305 to $321 dollars"
Justin Fearn
"The Head Zombie"

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 am

Is there even any Made in America TiSic guides at all?

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 am

ZRTJ wrote:What is the standard for a product to be called Made in USA without qualification?

For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions.
=D> Very nice response. I really like to see companies get on forums and do things like this. So thank you for clearing that up. So I guess the Official definition of "Made in the USA" is different that what what most of us thought (or at least me, lol).

That definition would rule out most, if not all, of the company's on the list because of Fuji guides/reel seats alone...
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 pm

So maybe the right questions are who assembles their rods in the US and who uses US made blanks. Of course "assembles in the US" leaves much to interpretation.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 pm

I believe Castaway and American Rodsmith rods are made in the USA. :D