Prerequisites for a pitchin' rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Capt. Toddy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Prerequisites for a pitchin' rod

Post by Capt. Toddy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi all,

I was recently given a fishing DVD for Father's Day. In it one of the commentators demonstrates perfect pitch casting on a number of occasions. So out to the backyard I went to learn how to do this for myself. Try as I might I can't seem to get any distance with my casts. They tend to loop fairly high too, which makes this type of cast pointless if I want to cast under trees and the like.

I know it's not the reel- I have a Steez 103H and all the settings are backed right off. But the rod I have is 5'10" and it's got a fairly stiff action to it. I was using sufficient weight too so I think it may be my rod.

What I want to know is, what sought of rod should I be using? How long? What action?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not after particular brands- just what to look for, but of course if you know of a good rod and a good price feel free to make mention.

Cheers,

Rodney

PS The rod I was using was a Daiwa Heartland X 4-8lb 5'10"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prerequisites for a pitchin' rod

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 pm

try a 6'-6" - 7'-0" rod rated Medium Heavy in power (~1/4-3/4oz lure weight : 10-17lb line) ... the rod you were using is probably too light in action and loading too much hence the high trajectory.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:13 pm

6'6" - 7'0" Med-MH rods are a good start...also Mod-Fast actions for me also provide better pitching control vs Fast or EX-Fast.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 am

Pitchin' rods are generally:

(1) Long: Long rods (although there's probably an optimum length like maybe 7'6") means longer swinging distance for the lure therefore more momentum that results to longer pitching distance. It helps you keep the lure longer off the ground/water, too.

(2) Stiff: You don't load the rod when you're pitching. You're actually swinging the lure forward rather than throwing. (A broomstick may not be the best for overhand casting but it can be for pitching.) If you use a rod that loads a lot, as Cal said the lure will be pulled upwards. You will also have problem controlling the lure while in flight because it won't react right away when you move the rod tip to go left, or right or up. You get what I mean :lol:

Good luck, Capt. Toddy

Capt. Toddy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt. Toddy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks for the tips

Rod

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 am

7'0 is a good length for pitching.
PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE :big grin:
Last edited by OhioChamp183 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

drewsturrrr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drewsturrrr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:26 pm

factors of the rod length depend on your height, and where you fishing from whether its a boat, tube or bank

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 am

I prefer the added pendulum length and distance a 7'3"+ rod provides. I like a Mod. action rod for most heavy cover Pitching.
One of the best tricks to learn has nothing to do with the rod, you can't pitch effectively if your pitching with your whole arm.
It's ALL in the wrist! You should notice an immediate improvement when you quite your shoulder and elbow and let you wrist do all the work.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:12 am

Try practicing using close range targets with heavier weights. If a rod is short like 6', distance will suffer. Tendency is to try and force the pitch and you get the high loopy presentation you mentioned.

I pitch 90% + of the time. I use rods lengths 6' to 7'6" depending on where I'm fishing. With branch overhangs..I use a short rod otherwise the tip is in the trees (and my pitching distance suffers due to the shorter length, but I can still hit my targets if they are close enough). Where I have headroom rod lengths increase as does distance.

I practiced with some targets placed around me on my driveway. Pitching to get my weights to each of them. Start with short distances (10-15 feet). Key is to let the reel feed the line rather than the rod launching the bait. An educated thumb is a great asset also. :D

As you are able to routinely hit your targets at short range start to move them further away. At a point you will see where the rod becomes the limiting factor.

Hope this helps, even switching reels changes the entire dynamic. As with all things practice is key.

Good luck :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 am

This is one of my favorite way to fish last year. If the boat is anchored, I will use a longer stick (7 - 7.6) for pitching. I usually pitch with 1/2 - 3/4 oz jigs. If the boat is drifting then I will switch to a shorter rod (6 - 6 1/2). The rods that I am using have a pretty stiff butt end and soft tip. I've been thinking about trying even longer rod like an 8 footer with a slightly heavier jigs for punching.