Poisonous Versatility

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Poisonous Versatility

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:41 pm

One of the rods I hear about a lot on here is the 7’2” poison Adrena heavy
Now to me this rod is nowhere near a heavy and so you may ask why did I buy two of them. Well I did but this is what happened. The company shipped me two in stead of one but only charged me for one. Unbeknownst to me or them the rods came both on the same day same carrier different trucks. There was some sort of Glitch in the system and they didn’t know about it until I called and asked. Being the people they were and the outstanding guy whom I was on the phone with said hey I’ll work you a deal since you already have the extra and we worked out a deal. So that’s how I ended up with two

As I was using this rod just minutes ago. For me in my opinion it’s just not the rod I pick up for 3/16oz hook and worm. The thing is it’s says VERSATILE on the stick and i think it’s excellent topwater or fluke or sb rod.
I think that in an effort to make something so versatile you can miss the most important mark and that’s identity.

This rod is mated with my purple alphas 8lb test and a hook. It makes for an awesome stick to wacky rig or free rig with. I had hoped that they made it faster with more power but if nothing else more power.
I would not have two if not for the shipping error.

It’s great if you have a different view in this rod but for me I’m not using any 5/0 gamma ewg for braid on this rod. May of you may differ in your assessment of this rod and I respect that and am willing to hear your point of view in this interesting. I’m open to hear it.

That being said many people always want to know about this particular model. I myself thought it was like the gen 1 cumara 7’2” med heavy and that’s why I initially purchased one. As I edit my original post I think the original cumara was 1/4-1oz in its rating. Still if you ask me my style of fishing is more liked the cumara than this particular adrena.
Last edited by goldrod on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Poisonous Versatility

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:53 pm

This one is on my short list for 3/8-1/2oz jackhammers, plus plastic.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Does it fish like a MH+ mod fast? Sort of a slower stiffer tipped MH?

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm

I thought the same about mine. Defently not the frog rod i wanted. I found it good for moving baits and larger trebal hook baits. I found it handled the g2 shellcracker good and it weighs 1.5 ozs. I caught around 50 bass throwing the g2 on the rod and it casted the plug well and i lost very few fish that night. The rod is hard to explain its almost like a medium tip with a heavy powered rod down low. I was amazed it handled a bait at the top of its weight range as good as it did imo.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm
I thought the same about mine. Defently not the frog rod i wanted. I found it good for moving baits and larger trebal hook baits. I found it handled the g2 shellcracker good and it weighs 1.5 ozs. I caught around 50 bass throwing the g2 on the rod and it casted the plug well and i lost very few fish that night. The rod is hard to explain its almost like a medium tip with a heavy powered rod down low. I was amazed it handled a bait at the top of its weight range as good as it did imo.
Would you fish a 6/0 Beast Hook with it? Magdraft Freestyle or 6.8 Keitech etc?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 pm

so what is this rod good for? i still don't know haha. what is the sweet spot in terms of lure weight? is the taper a true fast or regular fast? is the tip soft or stiff? does it excel in anything or is it just good at most things?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
I thought i was crazy that is why I started this thread on this specific rod in the line up.. Thank you..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:54 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 pm
so what is this rod good for? i still don't know haha. what is the sweet spot in terms of lure weight? is the taper a true fast or regular fast? is the tip soft or stiff? does it excel in anything or is it just good at most things?
IMHO, treble baits are the ticket to get the most out of the stick.. traps, shower blows, Dog X
if you are into plastics make sure your hook is not stout was my findings. a gammy super line hook in a no no to me
but a gammy EWG 30# braid and any weightless plastic or topwater..
just my humble opinion.

Im not saying its not sensitive just that the rating and the action are a direct misrepresentation of what this stick is and isn't.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:58 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm
bronzebacks wrote:
Would you fish a 6/0 Beast Hook with it? Magdraft Freestyle or 6.8 Keitech etc?
I feel the gauge of the beast hook would be too much and would use a stiffer rod to dive the hook home imo its better suited for large treble hooks or sipnneebait/chatterbait 5" paddletails with open hook etc

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:12 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Sounds like my old BPS Extreme H. It has M to MH tip and somewhere way down deep in the rod is a H backbone. That rod as a tip lighter than most MH I have and is M like but also a mod fast meaning much of the rod feels like a M or MH until you get way deep into it. Almost remindes me of a giantic BFS L taper. Light tip and mid section but the rod eventually shuts off after the 1 guide. My Volkey L BFS is more stiff from the 1st guide to the but than almost all of my M powered rods but really can't cast over 1/4 oz because the rest of the rod is so light. My Extreme is like that but is a "H". More like a M BFS rod taper.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:24 pm

To me it fishes like a true medium heavy power with a regular fast action. It's one of my favorite sticks I own. I actually have 2 of them already and looking for another. One of them has braid on it and I use it for red eye shads, Choppos, swim jigs and chatter baits. The other has fluoro and it's mainly used for Trigs, spinnerbaits and swimbaits with 4/0 beast hooks. I've never had an issue with the rod not having enough power. Even at the end of a 40+ yard cast with the Metanium MGL I've set the hook with a 3/8oz tungsten weight and 3/0 gammy super line hook.