The most UNDER rated..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The most UNDER rated..

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I'm a little off the beaten path......Lamiglas for me. They are WAY underrated imho.
Lamiglas... Your rods were possibly made by Todd Vivian who made blanks for Lamiglas for more than 20 years.

And you are in luck... my rod blank builder retired so all I can do is run around and track down rods he made a long time ago, but you, you are in luck I wish I had! Your lamiglas blank builder is still making blanks today for MudHole. So whatever magic he had at Lamiglas is now continuing over at MudHole...

You get new rods! I gotta hunt down old ones to get the blank builders I want.

Don't get me wrong, Mudhole makes nice rods as did and does Lamiglas to this day, but there are other flavors out there... and I'm an old school kind guy.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:30 pm

I will agree with the Kistler. I had one of the earlier versions of the zbone and that rod was a standout in the mix with some nrx rods. I got to handle a few of the H3 rods and was very impressed with what I felt for the given price point. Kistler just doesn't have any dealers where I am at, so nobody knows anything about them around here.

I will throw powell fishing rods into the mix as well. For what you get with those rods for what you pay for them is amazing to me. I think with their lower prices most people just don't give them a chance.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:17 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:Phenix Rods
Minus the funky reel seats, I will agree with this, as well.
They have a great warranty.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Kinda funny. I don't really think their are many under rated rods. The cat usually gets out of the bag. Kistler has always been popular, especially when they switched to NFC proprietary blanks. Funny thing is, I kinda think NFC blanks are over rated. At sale prices, very good, but at full retail, not so much. Especially considering an K2 at the same price, or a Point Blank at even less are imo, much better than the HMs. I have an X Ray on the way, hoping it's a substantial improvement.
Back on topic, Fenwick has put out a couple of affordable lines that punched above their price. Well, the blanks did anyways. Across the board, I feel Shimano makes some of the best rods and rod blanks I've encountered.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 am

poisonokie wrote:I've got a stable full of OG Tatulas and Major Craft MS-X. They pretty much comprise my entire arsenal, so I agree whole heartedly. I've been touting the quality of the OG Tats for years. They blow everything else I'd tried before that out of the water.

As for Major Craft, I never hear anything bad about them. They definitely don't get the attention they deserve, especially considering the bang for the buck factor. They just haven't managed to proliferate the USDM.
I want to hear from more people using Major Craft rods for general purpose, like a 7'-7'3" M or MH for Texas rigs and small swimbaits and what not. I am sure they are great, and I can find reviews about their BFS, just haven't seen much info on their general purpose lengths/powers/actions...

Someone else stated it first, and I know no one likes to hear about cheap replacement rods, but the Abu Villain 2.0's I got sent for replacements (cost me $10 and sold the originals to bank fisherman who still love them) are pretty good rods. They have Fuji seats, and are amazingly sensitive and light (at least for what I have tried). If they had better guides, I would call them pretty underrated rods. Using the 7'6"MH, 2 7'Mediums, and a 7'ML xfast spinning version.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:24 am

@DirtyD64 I have the 7-3 M Nanoace. I think it is a nice rod, worth every penny of retail. I got it for less than retail, and it is an excellent rod for what I paid. Above-average sensitivity and the taper is great, too. Rated as fast, but it feels closer to mod-fast to me, and resembles some of the JDM rods that have a progressive taper. The tip doesnt just shut off, the rod has a nice transition to the backbone. It has a 5/16 swimjig plus plastic trailer tied on it right now, and 1/4 oz lead plus a Zoom U-Tail worm fishes great, too. Funny thing is, it also handles mid-depth cranks and lipless cranks well. I love throwing a Jackall Bling 55 with it when I need distance. I've fished braid and mono, with no adverse affects to the guides.
I also had a 6-9 M Go Emotion that fished very nicely. Wish I still had that rod.....
And I also have the 6-10ML x-fast casting rod in the Villian 2.0 series. It is an excellent rod, very sensitive and has stupid-fast action. I fished a trickworm with a 1/16 oz bullet weight yesterday and it was great, caught 3 that were very light biters, just the tiniest "tick", you know?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:00 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I've got a stable full of OG Tatulas and Major Craft MS-X. They pretty much comprise my entire arsenal, so I agree whole heartedly. I've been touting the quality of the OG Tats for years. They blow everything else I'd tried before that out of the water.

As for Major Craft, I never hear anything bad about them. They definitely don't get the attention they deserve, especially considering the bang for the buck factor. They just haven't managed to proliferate the USDM.
I want to hear from more people using Major Craft rods for general purpose, like a 7'-7'3" M or MH for Texas rigs and small swimbaits and what not. I am sure they are great, and I can find reviews about their BFS, just haven't seen much info on their general purpose lengths/powers/actions...

Someone else stated it first, and I know no one likes to hear about cheap replacement rods, but the Abu Villain 2.0's I got sent for replacements (cost me $10 and sold the originals to bank fisherman who still love them) are pretty good rods. They have Fuji seats, and are amazingly sensitive and light (at least for what I have tried). If they had better guides, I would call them pretty underrated rods. Using the 7'6"MH, 2 7'Mediums, and a 7'ML xfast spinning version.
Oh man. Well, at the risk of sounding like a paid promoter, I have to say they are sublime. As hoohoorjoo hit on, they punch well above their price point in terms of build quality, components, sensitivity, balance, overall weight, you name it. I have nine total, all in the MS-X series. All but two have regular fast tapers, but they really all have progressive actions. The 66M and 610M regular rods just have stiffer tips that load a little deeper into the blank initially. Many of them are balanced without a reel at all, while all of them are balanced somewhere south of the nose of the reel mounted on them. I posted all the weights in the Rod Weights thread. http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=195 I would say they are mostly below average, especially considering the fact that they are so well balanced.

I'd say they typically fish within their ratings. Their progressive tapers translate to effortless and accurate casts, and ease of working baits and fighting fish. I don't know if it's necessary, but I tend to really set the hook hard with these rods just because of the action. Even the BFS sticks can get great hook sets this way. As far as sensitivity goes, there is no mistaking the difference between a stump and a strike, which gives me confidence that I can aggressively set the hook and land the fish without too much fear of snags. They have loads of backbone and none of them are anything close to what I'd consider a noodle. The blank and small caliber Ti/SiC guide train combine for an extremely crisp and deceptively light feel as there is plenty of power for controlling fish without feeling over powered. The crisp and lively blank makes for excellent casting distance as well. I am consistently amazed by how far my baits will fly, as well as by the strength of the thump transmitted through the blank when it touches down.

Yesterday I was tossing topwaters with the 66M/R and it's by far the best rod I've ever used for that. I got incredible distance using a Zillion SV 6.3, 30# J Braid, and 16# Super Natural leader while casting a Shower Blows 105 (9/16oz) and Binksy (1/2oz), and it was sooo easy to walk those baits because of the short length. It makes a great jerkbait rod, too, though I feel the 65ML/RF handles that a little better. The 70H is the one I've had the least time with. It's a different animal altogether. It has double foot guides all the way up the blank and an extra long handle. Seems like it will be a great heavy cover/moderate slop and general purpose heavy stick.

I'd go into the strengths of each, but for the sake of brevity suffice it to say that they all excel for a variety of uses. Their tapers translate to a high level of versatility which allows me to think outsode the box in terms of which technique to use with each rod. As long as I stay inside the lure rating I can use any of them for moving baits and bottom contact equally well. That said, I am hanging on to my glass Tatulas and Zillion for cranking, as well as a 71MH/XF Tatula just in case and 66H/F Zillion, the latter of which turns out to be one hell of a skipping stick with a Zillion SV 9.1 and 50# PP. If anyone has any specific questions about a specific model, I'd be glad to go into more depth. The only ones I don't have are the 67MH, 70XH, as well as the Frog and Big Bait models.

Anyway, they are superb rods I think anyone would be thrilled to fish. The only thing I've found wrong with their construction is that 3 or 4 of them have slightly crooked blanks, but nothing you'd immediately notice looking at them and it doesn't affect their performance that I can tell. Also, there is no warranty, but given everything mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Each comes with a nice, perfect fitting sleeve that beats the hell out of a rod sock and a comfortable rubberized non-slip coating on the reel seats.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

Gen 2 Mojo Bass.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Gen 2 Mojo Bass.
They changed from SC-II to SC-III for the gen 2 Mojo blanks, same blanks as the Avid series. That's why they are better. The Avid series are great sticks, but overpriced imo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 pm

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Anyway, they are superb rods I think anyone would be thrilled to fish. The only thing I've found wrong with their construction is that 3 or 4 of them have slightly crooked blanks, but nothing you'd immediately notice looking at them and it doesn't affect their performance that I can tell. Also, there is no warranty, but given everything mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Each comes with a nice, perfect fitting sleeve that beats the hell out of a rod sock and a comfortable rubberized non-slip coating on the reel seats.

Great info, thanks for all of that. I was under the assumption that their BFS rods were more of a St. Croix style fast action, where there is a lot of backbone; not a progressive style taper. Also I thought they had some kind of a warranty, wasn't aware they didn't offer one.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 am

I'm not sure how the production rods are but I have a custom built on a K2 blank and it is every bit as sensitive as NRX, Zbone, and MB X7's that I have but lighter. Very impressive!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:42 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Great info, thanks for all of that. I was under the assumption that their BFS rods were more of a St. Croix style fast action, where there is a lot of backbone; not a progressive style taper. Also I thought they had some kind of a warranty, wasn't aware they didn't offer one.
No, they're pretty much all fast to extra fast at first before exhibiting a nice deep bend into the belly of the rod with increasing pressure. I love their actions. For me they're spot on, not too soft, not overpowered.
The ones you can get from Major Craft USA may have warranties, and their USDM sticks do, but I bought all mine from Shimreels and JDM Tackle Heaven.
This is the way.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:44 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Kinda funny. I don't really think their are many under rated rods. The cat usually gets out of the bag. Kistler has always been popular, especially when they switched to NFC proprietary blanks. Funny thing is, I kinda think NFC blanks are over rated. At sale prices, very good, but at full retail, not so much. Especially considering an K2 at the same price, or a Point Blank at even less are imo, much better than the HMs. I have an X Ray on the way, hoping it's a substantial improvement.
Back on topic, Fenwick has put out a couple of affordable lines that punched above their price. Well, the blanks did anyways. Across the board, I feel Shimano makes some of the best rods and rod blanks I've encountered.
Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth to name one. It was underrated though, it got rave reviews from everyone who used them. They were just affordable and discontinued much too quickly.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:20 pm

njbasscat wrote:I'm not sure how the production rods are but I have a custom built on a K2 blank and it is every bit as sensitive as NRX, Zbone, and MB X7's that I have but lighter. Very impressive!
No doubt. Still the most sensitive I've used.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Kinda funny. I don't really think their are many under rated rods. The cat usually gets out of the bag. Kistler has always been popular, especially when they switched to NFC proprietary blanks. Funny thing is, I kinda think NFC blanks are over rated. At sale prices, very good, but at full retail, not so much. Especially considering an K2 at the same price, or a Point Blank at even less are imo, much better than the HMs. I have an X Ray on the way, hoping it's a substantial improvement.
Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth to name one. It was underrated though, it got rave reviews from everyone who used them. They were just affordable and discontinued much too quickly.
Yep. That was the one I had in mind. I almost stripped down and rebuilt the 6"10 medium.