Kistler Helium3 vs Megabass Orochi vs St Croix LTB

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Kistler Helium3 vs Megabass Orochi vs St Croix LTB

Post by WannaGoFishing » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi There,

Looking for some opinions on these 3 rods. Would like a baitcasting rod primarily for jigs (1/4 to 1/2 oz), weightless 5 senkos, and weighted creature baits (baby brush hog with 1/8-1/4 oz bullet weight). Secondary uses: 3/8oz chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. All weights quoted do not include the trailer.

Kistler Helium MLH/ fast
Megabass Orochi Tour Versatile
St Croix LTB MH/fast or maybe MF

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Charles

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler Helium3 vs Megabass Orochi vs St Croix LTB

Post by falcon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:28 am

The kistler is the most universal of the group for your needs I feel and a favorite of mine. Would love to just buy the blank. Then the M st croix or may I suggest the MH XF

Your issue here is the 1/2oz jig. If that’s a priority for you I’d say the my st croix MH another awesome rod but little to much for senkos
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. Good point about the LTB. I love St Croix rod rods (have an Avid and triumph), but their power ratings (M and MH) don’t seem to be ideal for my intended techniques with this rod. Will be throwing 5 senkos a lot more than 1/2 oz jig

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am

I have the Gen1Tour Versatile, I have a H3 MH/XF and LMH/F, and a LTB MHF as well as M/XF.

That 1/2 oz jig to me is the problem with one rod for that range of baits. The original TV is a heavy powered rod, too heavy for anything on your list but the 3/8 oz or 1/2 jigs, unless your chucking 1/2-1 oz spinnerbaits. I don’t know how the new version handles.

I think the Kistler LMH/F would be an excellent choice for everything but the 1/2 jig. For that I’d push to the MH/XF which still has a good tip for the lighter trigs and even senkos. Also depends on cover, heavier cover I’d go MH. If 1/2 jigs were all you wanted to throw I’d actually go to the H/XF in the H3. The H3 XF is more of the fast side of fast then a really true XF compared to my St Croix XF Rods.

In the St Croix the 1/2 oz jig again pushes you to the MH. And the MH St Croix to me becomes less versatile for some of those moving baits, lots of power in that blank. St Croix makes a fantastic rod, but I’ve been enjoying my Kistler H3 and Megabass Rods more then my St Croixs.

I think your best bet is to get both the LMH/F and the MH/XF H3 Rods, then you’re covered and have lots of versatility.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:01 pm

I would go Megabass, then Kistler, then St. Croix. Since versatility is key for you, I would probably go with the Helium 3. You can do a lot with that rod taper, and it is a nice stick.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 pm

I would suggest a Megbass Orochi Spinnerbait Special or the Helium 3.

I have both. The Megabass is just sweet, sensitive rod. The Helium is as good as the Megbass just the craftsmanship is not as good as the Megabass

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Really appreciate all the input.

Forgot to mention, I’m primarily a bank fisherman, will at most carry 2 rods with me, and the areas that I usually fish are open water, rocky bottoms, and some ponds with light vegetation. When it comes to jigs, I’m usually throwing 1/4 oz + paca trailer or super chunk. Will also be throwing weightless 5” senkos a lot as well. The other rod that I will be carrying with me is a Daiwa Steez XT (med power, mod action) for treble hook lures, especially shallow and medium crannkbaits. Tried it for senkos and jigs, and found the action to be too slow

Sounds like the Megabass TV is going to be too heavy. What about the Diablo Spec-R? Suitable for jigs and senkos?

Kistler is a running a special right now (21% off), the reviews and forum comments on the HE3 are very positive, and the LMH fast action seems to be most versatile, plus made in USA.

My mind is saying HE3, but my heart is saying Orochi (more exotic and so gorgeous). Tough choice!

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:03 am

If you’re throwing mostly chunk trailers on 1/4 & 1/2oz jigs you can easily get away with the LMH-F H3 Kistler. I’d stay away from trailers like Mag Rage Structure Bugs as those weigh almost 1/2oz by themselves and would put you just over the 7/8oz max recommended lure weight. I don’t like my MHXF H3 for weightless senko at all. I know a poster said it has a light tip but I respectfully disagree. I find it has very little tip and is too fast for throwing lighter baits. No idea how it stacks against any rods in the MegaBass & St Croix line-up. Regarding looks it’s hard to compare the simplicity of any of the Kistlers against how good looking MegaBass rods are but I do know that the beefy shape of the cork split grip with a touch of EVA on the butt on my H3 captures my eye when I glance at several of my casters lined up

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:If you’re throwing mostly chunk trailers on 1/4 & 1/2oz jigs you can easily get away with the LMH-F H3 Kistler. I’d stay away from trailers like Mag Rage Structure Bugs as those weigh almost 1/2oz by themselves and would put you just over the 7/8oz max recommended lure weight. I don’t like my MHXF H3 for weightless senko at all. I know a poster said it has a light tip but I respectfully disagree. I find it has very little tip and is too fast for throwing lighter baits. No idea how it stacks against any rods in the MegaBass & St Croix line-up. Regarding looks it’s hard to compare the simplicity of any of the Kistlers against how good looking MegaBass rods are but I do know that the beefy shape of the cork split grip with a touch of EVA on the butt on my H3 captures my eye when I glance at several of my casters lined up
You’re more then welcome to disagree, would never be offended by a differing opinion! I actually agree with you though, it doesn’t have a light tip but I feel it has enough tip I could throw a 5” senko with it. But it wouldn’t be my first choice for it at all. I’m with you I think for post of the Ops stated purposes the LMH-F should be a good choice.

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks for all the input and feedback, which really played into my decision. Placed an order for the 7’ Helium LMH-F earlier today.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 pm

WannaGoFishing wrote:Thanks for all the input and feedback, which really played into my decision. Placed an order for the 7’ Helium LMH-F earlier today.
Oh,...I thought you were getting a 6-6. Hell if I’d known you were getting a 7’ I would have said the MH-XF all the way...just kidding :D

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
WannaGoFishing wrote:Thanks for all the input and feedback, which really played into my decision. Placed an order for the 7’ Helium LMH-F earlier today.
Oh,...I thought you were getting a 6-6. Hell if I’d known you were getting a 7’ I would have said the MH-XF all the way...just kidding :D
I think they have a 30 return/exchange policy :)

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Congrats and enjoy, it’s a really awesome stick. I predict it won’t be your last Helium 3.

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:
Congrats and enjoy, it’s a really awesome stick. I predict it won’t be your last Helium 3.
Thanks. I’m learning different techniques and lures. At some point, I may have to go back for that MHXF that you suggested to go along with LMHF

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

the Kistler HE3 7'3H exfast is very good. 3/8oz total weight rig needed on the light end. I do throw 1/4oz plastic rigs on it with light braid but I'm a power freak casting into cover.