What’s a decent 2 piece rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What’s a decent 2 piece rod?

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm

So my dad likes to bring his 2 piece casting rod on our annual fishing trip and annual moose hunting trip to our hunting camp. With the amount of gear we bring the rods need to be 2 piece. Well he snapped it this year accidentally and now I was thinking of replacing it for his birthday. I don’t own any 2 piece casting rods so don’t even know what to look for. The rod needs to be upper 6’-lower 7’ range. Medium-heavy, to a lighter heavy, will be used for pike fishing northern Ontario. Any suggestions?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What’s a decent 2 piece rod?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm

St. Croix (big name in Canada eh) has a 7ft.1 MH 2 peice casting rod in the Mojo series. It's a moderatly priced rod at $140 and can be had from many major outlets and seems to have good reviews.

If you want to spend some coin, I have some suggestions for that as well.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 am

2-piece adrena rods are great and fish above their price point imo. They seem to rate their rods heavier than they fish (in my hands) so I’d aim for 1 power above how they’re rated.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:38 am

What's your budget?

I'd suggest a Daiwa Ardito 703MHFB. It's a three piece and comes with a nice semi hard case. It uses the new style spigot ferrules which makes it fish seamlessly. It fishes pretty heavy and fast, so it should be perfect. You can find them for ~$100 or less, which is a steal. They really are excellent rods. TT did a review.

If you're looking nicer, you might look into Major Craft. They have a 2-piece in practically every rod they make and they have a sleeve. The Speed Style series may be a good place to start looking.
This is the way.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:St. Croix (big name in Canada eh) has a 7ft.1 MH 2 peice casting rod in the Mojo series. It's a moderatly priced rod at $140 and can be had from many major outlets and seems to have good reviews.

If you want to spend some coin, I have some suggestions for that as well.
I was looking into the premier and mojo series rods. Also heard the 13 fishing omen 2 black rods were super nice for the money so also looking into that one.

Okay I’ll bite, what’s your other suggestions?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 pm

If you dad is a Shimano guy (or doesn't care) I think the Poison Adrena mentioned above is a good choice. They make a 7'2 heavy with a fast tip and the rod is very light. These can be had for around $400 including shipping (maybe cheaper).
If your dad is a Shimano guy and you want to be the best son ever, you can go with the new 18 World Shaula 1702R-2 Multi-Purpose Long Special, which I would consider a MH/H, that will cost you around $650 including shipping.

When I think of Canada, the wilderness, the moose, an icy Labatt Blue and those hard hitting pike. I'm thinking more along the lines of full Cork Grip and double footed full sized guides.

But..I searched high and low and cannot find a 2 peice like that.. :lol: If you went with a bat joint (seperation at the grip) there would be some choices.

Another option
Megabass Hyuga 6'11 MH 2 peice
https://www.ebay.com/i/232997808860?chn=ps
or thier 7'2 Heavy Model
https://www.ebay.com/p/Megabass-Hyuga-7 ... 2840089973
I've got a Hyuga 72M and I love it, it is a great rod at the price point, I'm sure the 2 peice are stellar too.
You might be able to get the Tackle Trap to order these rods and then you would get a warranty. Dad won't be too happy when he breaks his next one and asks you about the warrenty you secured for the rod [-X

If you want the links for the expensive ones, PM me.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Adrena
Expride
Hyuga
Zodias
Orochi XXX

Would be my pick.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:The rod needs to be upper 6’-lower 7’ range. Medium-heavy, to a lighter heavy, will be used for pike fishing northern Ontario. Any suggestions?
Medium rod: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79504
Medium-Hard rod: http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=70842
and as option St.Croix Legend Xtreme, i think LXC70MHF2 would be great.