Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+ Reviews

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+ Reviews

Post by nolegsinmiami » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 am

Any experience with this rod? Seeking a rod for the Alder BFS.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Expride A Casting Rod 7'2" Med Lt+ Reviews

Post by Cristo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 pm

I too be interested :-k I hear this line is pretty nifty!

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Just got the expride 168L BFS to replace my slightly damaged Zodias.
I was debating if I should get one, but after playing around with a medium light model the rod felt quite nice so I got a BFS model. I'll be paring it up with Alde BFS and Alde MGL this weekend so I won't know how it fishes till then.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 pm

nolegsinmiami wrote:Any experience with this rod? Seeking a rod for the Alder BFS.
I got the 7'2ML+ a couple of months ago, but have been using it mainly in saltwater. The few times I used it for freshwater bass fishing...let's see: threw an 05 rippin rap a mile on my cu70, 3/16oz jig head + 4" ez shiner no problem, the lightest I went was weightless 4" shad impact on the finesse owner screwlock worm hooks...that took a little more brake adjustment, but definitely doable. Great finesse jig rod too, and I haven't done it yet but I bet it'd work 3/8oz jerkbaits perfectly if you like that length jerkbait rod.

I get the ML+ portion of the label, not so much the BFS bit. I don't think you're loading that tip with true UL cranks. Other than that, the rod is perfectly balanced, the tip is crisp and lively, and I think you'll find a use for the rod no matter what.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am

Awesome thanks for the scoop =D>

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Funny. I was looking at this rod on ebay a week or two ago for throwing 1/8oz texas rigs for smallmouth. It is now sold :lol: Thinking about using it for 1/4oz drop shot as well. Both techniques using with an Aldebaran 50hg.
reason162 wrote:
I got the 7'2ML+ a couple of months ago....
How would describe the taper?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 am

Mike son wrote:Funny. I was looking at this rod on ebay a week or two ago for throwing 1/8oz texas rigs for smallmouth. It is now sold :lol: Thinking about using it for 1/4oz drop shot as well. Both techniques using with an Aldebaran 50hg.

Fast. Nice even bend under load.

You might get that 1/8oz t rig to work for you, but I don't see it as a dropshotting rod at all. You know what rod in the Expride lineup would make a perfect "power BFS" rod? The 7'2mh spinner. THAT rod has the perfect tip-backbone transition to cast light baits + handle big fish...they should release it as a casting model, I'd be all over it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:09 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 am
Mike son wrote:Funny. I was looking at this rod on ebay a week or two ago for throwing 1/8oz texas rigs for smallmouth. It is now sold :lol: Thinking about using it for 1/4oz drop shot as well. Both techniques using with an Aldebaran 50hg.

Fast. Nice even bend under load.

You might get that 1/8oz t rig to work for you, but I don't see it as a dropshotting rod at all. You know what rod in the Expride lineup would make a perfect "power BFS" rod? The 7'2mh spinner. THAT rod has the perfect tip-backbone transition to cast light baits + handle big fish...they should release it as a casting model, I'd be all over it.
What other techniques do you think it aligns with?
Do you think the line sizes are accurate ? Im looking to use 6-8lb test line for finesse stuff especially drop shots.
NOT looking at the spinning rod at all.. Could you be a little more descriptive of the casting rod?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:55 pm
nolegsinmiami wrote:Any experience with this rod? Seeking a rod for the Alder BFS.
I got the 7'2ML+ a couple of months ago, but have been using it mainly in saltwater. The few times I used it for freshwater bass fishing...let's see: threw an 05 rippin rap a mile on my cu70, 3/16oz jig head + 4" ez shiner no problem, the lightest I went was weightless 4" shad impact on the finesse owner screwlock worm hooks...that took a little more brake adjustment, but definitely doable. Great finesse jig rod too, and I haven't done it yet but I bet it'd work 3/8oz jerkbaits perfectly if you like that length jerkbait rod.

I get the ML+ portion of the label, not so much the BFS bit. I don't think you're loading that tip with true UL cranks. Other than that, the rod is perfectly balanced, the tip is crisp and lively, and I think you'll find a use for the rod no matter what.
Do you think that this rod is more of a Ned rig rod ?
Im looking to use it for bottom contact baits and finesse tungsten jigs..
Im going to pair it with a reel / spool combination that will facilitate casting its the backbone and action of the rod that has me a little skeptical that its going to work for what I want it for..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:06 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 pm
Im going to pair it with a reel / spool combination that will facilitate casting its the backbone and action of the rod that has me a little skeptical that its going to work for what I want it for..
I use it mainly as my JB rod from the kayak, from trick darters to 110s (including duo 110s which is a little over 1/2oz and the rod handles it fine). Also 1/4 -3/8oz keitech football jigs and 3/8oz jighead + swimbaits, that sort of thing.

It's got a lively tip but I don't see it anywhere near "BFS" type rod despite the label. 1/8oz I'm using a spinning rod, just my 2cents.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:06 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 pm
I use it mainly as my JB rod from the kayak, from trick darters to 110s (including duo 110s which is a little over 1/2oz and the rod handles it fine). Also 1/4 -3/8oz keitech football jigs and 3/8oz jighead + swimbaits, that sort of thing.

It's got a lively tip but I don't see it anywhere near "BFS" type rod despite the label. 1/8oz I'm using a spinning rod, just my 2cents.

All good
I appreciate your feedback. Helps me not to over cook the thoughts I’m frying in my brain pan. Seems like a rod I’d be interested in for the Steez SV103xs I’m working on again now that certainly will throw 1/8oz.

You mentioned throwing the duo 110, when you cast the rod with that lure could you see it over hand casting or no?
Thanks again

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 pm
You mentioned throwing the duo 110, when you cast the rod with that lure could you see it over hand casting or no?
Thanks again
Yeah I overhand that thing with the 72ml+, but keep in mind many of us kayak guys use 2-3 rods for everything in a day lol.

I can tell you that the duo 120 is starting to push it, and I do a hard side-arm lob with that bait. But the 110 Duo falls just within the lure rating range imo, and I've been launching that bait for 2 years w/o issue. It might not be the ideal rod for it but it works just fine, and keeps fish pinned.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:52 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 pm
Thanks again
Yeah I overhand that thing with the 72ml+, but keep in mind many of us kayak guys use 2-3 rods for everything in a day lol.

I can tell you that the duo 120 is starting to push it, and I do a hard side-arm lob with that bait. But the 110 Duo falls just within the lure rating range imo, and I've been launching that bait for 2 years w/o issue. It might not be the ideal rod for it but it works just fine, and keeps fish pinned.

Cookies and milk man, cookies and milk.
Sounds great. !

(Just FYI, that sv light reel would make a great addition for a kayak
And the TDZ100M with an IP79 spool on a Megabass shallow fast moving speciale is a do all setup and you’ll love it. )