Megabass Orochi XXX or Phenix Feather Bass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XXX or Phenix Feather Bass

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am

Salty Parrot wrote:Placed an order for the themis. Cant wait.
Thank you, shipping today. Please post up your thoughts when you have some time with it!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 am

Salty Parrot wrote:Placed an order for the themis. Cant wait.
Good man. Please post your thoughts on it once you have some time
on it.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 am

Will do, review on it in a few days.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm

I will see if I can find it but I thought I did a review of that rod.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Scroll down and you should see some of my feed back in the BT. Hope rhat helps ad well :D

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=73606&start=165[

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks, I though I remembered the BT being discussed but I couldn't find it when I was looking the other day.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Starting to wonder if my rod has been shipped. Says to arrive today but still hasn't received it yet. Fedex only says shipping label created.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:27 am

Update: the tracking number I was given was wrong so they gave me the right one. Not even mad because it did ship when it was intended too. Thanks tackletrap for quick service.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:34 am

Review of the rod
So the rod does definitely feel like a light action rod with a extra fast tip. Casted 1/8 oz lures on it and performed well. Haven't casted anything heavier but it feels doable for sure. Hooked on a few fish also, good back bone and sensitivity for sure. I feel like I made the right purchase over the Phenix even though I am a phenix fan. Reel sits comfortable on it for me and I actually like the trigger grip on this rod. Guides all look good and they use smaller guides on the rod. Very satisfied.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 am

I ordered one last night, I held out as long as I could. I figured if the new XX rods use the same reel seat as the XXX, I might as well see if I like it.

Real question is, will I actually sell the two rods the Black Themis is going to replace, or will I just shove them in the back of the rack "just in case"?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 am

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am

Wanted to post an update on the Black Themis now that I have had it out for a while and caught some bass on it. All in all, i really like it. It is exactly as advertised, a Light power rod with an XF tip. I have been using it with an Alphas FC and an sv105, both spooled up with 7lb Sniper. Most of my fishing so far has been either a weightless Trick Worm or a DS w/3/16oz weight.

Up front, I will say that casting with an XF rod is very different then the more ModFast Phoenix I am used to and my first few outings with the Alphas FC mounted were non-stop overruns and two trips ended with pretty bad backlashes. I switched to the sv105 to get a little more control and had a much better time of things, but I still need to keep the brakes up and really pay attention to each cast. All this being said, the rod seems to handle both lures very well and hooksets with a t-rigged Trick Worm on a 3/0 Owner Offset hook were very very easy, with a couple of small bass hooking themselves while I was fussing with an overrun. The rod casts the DS rig quite a bit further then my XX DS spinning rod and with a lot less effort and finger slap. Hooksets on a DS rig were effortless as well, just a reeldown-n-lift is all it takes. The rod loads up quickly and has all the power I would expect from a Light powered casting rod. I do think it is a little less powerful then the Phoenix or the XX, but it might be the XF taper messing with me. Hopefully I can get some larger bass with it soon to really put it through it's paces, but so far it is a winner. I do wonder about it's sensitivity vs the XX DS, but now that it is warming up and my hands are not numb, I am going to run them side by side and see. I feel like it is close, but it's hard to get a good sense with cold hands and gloves on. The casting issues do remain and I managed to get a show-stopping backlash with the sv105, but I hope I can get it dialed in as I really am liking the XF action for both DS and small plastics.

I would really really like it better if it had the same power/action, but was around 6'-6'2". It's a fun little rod and I think it will work for my needs, but my search for the One True BFS Rod will continue.

Here it is next to it's big brother, a FMJ with a sv103 on it.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:52 am

Mine snapped so I got it warrantied. They r sending me a 68 Rattle Viper.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:Mine snapped so I got it warrantied. They r sending me a 68 Rattle Viper.
That's too bad, how big was the fish that broke it?