Crankbait/ChatterBait Rod /w conquest 100

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
caoabunga
Angler
Angler

Crankbait/ChatterBait Rod /w conquest 100

Post by caoabunga » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking to pair a shimano conquest 100 with a crank bait rod, I've been looking at the St.Croix Legend Glass because of the reviews, however I don't know how I feel about the orange mixing with the gold bait caster (a bit OCD).

Before I make the decision I want to hear anyone opinion or suggestion for some other brand or model. I've heard Megabass is their known for their sensitivity and versatility, and I will be using it for crank bait (mainly), chatterbait/spinnerbait (secondary).

Thanks

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Crankbait/ChatterBait Rod /w conquest 100

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 am

I have my Conquest 101hg on a NRX 843 that I use for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. it works and looks excellent.

The Megabass Javelin would look sweet....

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 am

Way out of my price range, but I have always heard TOO soft of a rod for chatterbaits/spinnerbaits can lead to rage (loosing fish). The graphite or blended rods always run multipurpose better for me.

PS I don't think gold and orange look to bad together though...

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:46 am

I'm not a fan of glass rods. But I have my Conquest 101HG on a Megabass Black Jungle Shallow Fast Moving Special and it is a beautiful combo. I use it primarily for shallow cranking -- basically 10ft & less. It's a fantastic treble bait rod. Nice moderate action (but not too moderate) with a very forgiving tip & still good backbone to move fish from cover. It makes for a nice spinnerbait rod also, and I have thrown chatterbaits on it in sparse vegetation with a lot of success. My only complaint with throwing chatterbaits on it is when the grass gets REALLY thick, the tip has a little too much give for my taste.

If you are going much deeper or are tossing bigger cranks often, I would go with the Megabass USA Destroyer Javelin. It's currently my primary chatterbait rod, but it was designed for making long casts with treble baits. It's one helluva rod. The secondary applications with this one are damn near endless too.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:37 am

The old Expride 73mh glass or the new 72mh glass are great stick for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. I also use for cranks also but prefer it for chatterbaits.

EX172MHGA - 7'2" MH Glass

caoabunga
Angler
Angler

Post by caoabunga » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am

papabassin wrote:I'm not a fan of glass rods. But I have my Conquest 101HG on a Megabass Black Jungle Shallow Fast Moving Special and it is a beautiful combo. I use it primarily for shallow cranking -- basically 10ft & less. It's a fantastic treble bait rod. Nice moderate action (but not too moderate) with a very forgiving tip & still good backbone to move fish from cover. It makes for a nice spinnerbait rod also, and I have thrown chatterbaits on it in sparse vegetation with a lot of success. My only complaint with throwing chatterbaits on it is when the grass gets REALLY thick, the tip has a little too much give for my taste.

If you are going much deeper or are tossing bigger cranks often, I would go with the Megabass USA Destroyer Javelin. It's currently my primary chatterbait rod, but it was designed for making long casts with treble baits. It's one helluva rod. The secondary applications with this one are damn near endless too.
Thanks for this! I did happen to come across this on the forums, this definitely seems to be rod that comes closest to what I want. Great looking setup btw!

Thanks everyone else for your opinion, much appreciated.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

caoabunga wrote:Thanks for this! I did happen to come across this on the forums, this definitely seems to be rod that comes closest to what I want.

Thanks everyone else for your opinion, much appreciated.
No Problem. Get in touch with Gary (Bronzefly) @ The Tackle Trap...He will take good care of you.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 pm

X2 on the Expride 7'2" MH Glass for chatterbaits. Perfect chatterbait rod and great for squarebills / lipless.

caoabunga
Angler
Angler

Post by caoabunga » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:The old Expride 73mh glass or the new 72mh glass are great stick for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. I also use for cranks also but prefer it for chatterbaits.

EX172MHGA - 7'2" MH Glass
DChiWildcats wrote:X2 on the Expride 7'2" MH Glass for chatterbaits. Perfect chatterbait rod and great for squarebills / lipless.
So I've been comparing those the BJ SFMS to the Expride glass, however I don't how I feel about MH vs M.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... s_id=10892

based on the applications I'm using it for, can you guys tell me MH or M would be a better choice?

Thanks

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Something to consider. My chatterbait fishing is normally around the spawn and the biggest bass bite of the year is over a laydown I don't see in the water. Has happened multiple years and lost some monster fish; some I never even got to see ](*,) ](*,)

So now I expect this. My chatter bait rod is most commonly a H power graphite now and when I go to my cranking rod I get the H. Mine is a custom build CBR 847 blank. I would not for a moment throw a big chatterbait on a Medium powered glass or cranking rod. MH would be OK in open water but this is not where I catch big fish on a chattterbait.

if you guys are catching fish on a chatterbait on open banks I'd like to know how. Think this has happened to me in a pond exactly 1 time and never since

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:50 pm

TAEL701MLRB Randy Howell SHALLOW CRANK
/LIPLESS/JERKBAIT ML R 7'0" 1 8-14 1/4-5/8 Fuji®Alconite

This is used strictly as a chatterbait rod
ZIL661MHFB MH F 6'6" 1 10 - 20 1/4 - 1 9 this rod loads great when using a chatterbait. didn't think i would have liked it for but does a great job

2 great rods and also a great price

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 pm

The XXX Destruction comes to mind. I have used it for baits from the Deep-Six to chatterbaits and it handled them like a champ (in my hands at least). Sensitive enough for plastics too and didn't feel like I missed any bites (Seaguar Invizx).

Get in touch with Gary and The Tackle Trap and they should be able to set you up if interested, always great service and a joy to deal with.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Power Versatile is a heck of a rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 am

Not quite as nice looking as some of the recommendations here but I've got my CQ100 mounted on a Dobyns Champion 764CBRM. I mainly use this for square bills and smaller deeper cranks. I have never tried a chatterbait on it but imagine it would work alright (I used a DX 743 HP for those)

My CQ200 is mounted on a Champion 706CB which considering its length, is an amazing rod. I could see the rod being pretty good for chatterbaits but may lack depending on the size of cranks you want to use it for. I use this rod for larger topwater and bigger cranks mostly.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

Depending on the size cranks you use, and depth, i use a Phenix M1 72H. This rod is carbon fiber vs. graphite, but has a nice smooth load. I'd call it a Fast taper. I primarily use it for 3/8-5/8 ounce chatterbaits and spinnerbaits around shallow cover and vegetation. I'll also crank 3/8oz + square bills with it. It's a real versatile rod. I've frogged with them, dragged jigs in 25-40 ft and pitched senkos with them. pretty sensitive for a sub $200 rod.

If you're not throwing baits that heavy, the 72MH is killer. I've used that for ripping, cranking, light t rigs, topwater plugs, and 1/4-1/2 chatterbaits/spinnerbaits. It's smooth load and taper really help it handle multiple techniques, though i'd say it's not really exceptional at one thing.
robchik.com