Bass Fishing Not Very Popular?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bass Fishing Not Very Popular?

Post by MK49 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm

I started fishing for bass in the late 1970s, and never looked back. I've been trying to post as many posts as possible to make this forum more active. But, it's not happening. I started a new thread on a guitar forum yesterday, and in 24 hours, I got 44 replies. That's not going to happen here. So, I started thinking that bass fishing is not as popular as I thought, which is kind of sad, because I started fishing, before I started playing guitars. Do you think there are like 40 times more guitar players than bass fishermen? I wouldn't think so. Or, bass fisherman in general doesn't communicate with others on a forum? I just want to see a bass fishing forum as active as the Gear Page, a guitar forum, which I've been posting since the late 1990s. I know by now, it's never going to happen, but still, I want to see more fishing topics.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Bass Fishing Not Very Popular?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:05 am

Sadly, forums have declined with the advance of social media. This is due to "instant gratification" that most of the media platforms offer today. The guitar forum you frequent is likely populated by older guys who don't do as much modern social media. Also, we experienced a crash(actually, 2 crashes) a few years back and a lot of our regulars didn't return. Unfortunately, we have also lost some to death, others to retiring and still others to changing family dynamics. It is the sad reality of the "your way, right away" mentality that our world has adopted in this latest generation. Forums just aren't as popular as they used to be. I still love TT, though.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:28 am

Reddit is where all the young bass normies are at talking about youtube crap and kastking reels. The bass forums have their own cultures with TT being the import tackle and enthusiast online presence of bass fishing in the US/Canada. I remember reading about Keitech paddle tails, BFS and orderig JDM reels long before they were in the lexicon of common online bassfishing circles. This is still the place to hear about a new JDM tackle long before it spills out and crosses over to other forums. Bassresource is older bass normes go to talk about gear you can buy on tacklewarhouse but for every TW keitech you have to remember it was just a rumor on the TT forum at one point. They have only now discovered buying JDM reels which I fear may bring it to a end sooner rather than later.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 am

I found if you want to meet real anglers to talk and debate unfiltered, authentic, bass fishing you need to be on bass resource dot com :big grin: .

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:12 am

That first big crash really felt like it had a big impact--I want to say we've had a lot of new users since then, but it feels like we lost a lot.

I think the Facebook Groups has had a pretty big impact on on forums as well...you can join a group on a specific topic and get your questions answered pretty quickly. The groups can get very very specific as well.

I think I come on here for the memories of when I first really picked up fishing and getting into better equipment.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:17 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 am
I found if you want to meet real anglers to talk and debate unfiltered, authentic, bass fishing you need to be on bass resource dot com :big grin: .

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Bass fishing is getting extremely popular and tough, we are at the point to be like Japan with highly pressured public waters. I think this forum is more about tackle, especially high-end JDM and not how to catch bass. I spend way more time reading and picking that tackle vs I actually go fishing, and catching a few bass. I calculated I spend roughly $75 to catch one bass per year on average , this is the total amount I spend on tackle ( rods, reels, lines, lures, hooks) divided on the total number of bass. 99% of my tackle comes straight from Japan.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:44 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Hey David, you missed your calling. You shouldah been a comedian! :lol: =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:36 pm

Thanks for the feedbacks. I think only older people play guitars is right. We used to be young, though. :lol: I prefer forums over social media. Seems like more serious people are on forums.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:47 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
I've tried to register there a few times, but for some reasons, I couldn't. I used to be a Tackle Tour member I think over 10 years ago. I tried to login last year for the first time in many years, but I couldn't. So, I created a new account here.

Well, I just tried it again, and I was able to register. I'm not sure I'm going to post there much, because I like this forum. I just wish it's more active. :D

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:12 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:44 pm
Finnz922 wrote:
Hey David, you missed your calling. You shouldah been a comedian! :lol: =D>
8-)

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:09 pm

Just curious, why the hate for bass resource?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm

sbd3 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:09 pm
I feel like the guys there got caught by the sponsorship bug and keep plugging away at products that are subpar or mediocre at best.

Also, if you say anything negative about a sponsored product, then you can be sure it's going to get removed.

Bunch of self proclaimed experts.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:42 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm
sbd3 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:09 pm
I feel like the guys there got caught by the sponsorship bug and keep plugging away at products that are subpar or mediocre at best.

Also, if you say anything negative about a sponsored product, then you can be sure it's going to get removed.

Bunch of self proclaimed experts.
I dont spend a lot of time on that site so hadn't really noticed that until recently. The whole Seviin reels thing that was going on over there pretty much blatantly laid that out, even for a casual like me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:41 pm

I used to go there when i first started online tackle research.
What I dislike about many sites is the condescending, belittling subliminal jokes that when you respond to you get the proverbial
get thicker skin comment. i have had that recently on a different site and i am sure in real life, arm reach from one another people would not be so flippid.
But that site had some characters that really didn't jive with what I was looking for. I am sure its changed now and hopefully that is the case.

Here, I feel is closer knit and i personally have gotten a lot of information and just learning from various people. Some call or text me till this day.

I have been thinking about the question posed by the OP, and i went as far back as pre covid til now.
I think when there was a shutdown alot of people were just looking for something to do and being online talking about equipment for fishing was just one of them. I think its tapered off somewhat but more than anything life happens and speaking from my own experience, I am on here when i can. sometimes I am just reading or rereading and researching but often times I strive to answer whatever question is asked. I think a lot of people enjoy bass fishing but maybe not everyone is ready to tinker with their tackle. At the end of the day I would rather a select group of people who are inviting and don't mind sharing real time experiences up to and including what bait and technique to use vs. a large group of people that some are undiscovered bass master winners in their mind and they don't add value to the site, some are just rough around the edges , some are tackle haters and glorify brands they like and hate on those they don't even if they have never used it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible