Backpacks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Backpacks

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:37 am

I've had my Shimano Blackmoon Backpack for almost 15 years now. (The OG blue one)

After years of abuse, it has finally started to die. And I'm looking for a similar backpack.

I've seen and heard the new black Shimano Blackmoon backpacks sucking. Either zippers or tears, it's always something.

I don't trust Plano anymore when it comes to bags. They may make great boxes, but their bags suck. I've had to warranty THREE boat bags already, with the last one their customer service telling me they can't offer me anymore assistance. The bags either tear, or zippers fall apart, almost as if Plano doesn't understand fishing boxes may weight quite a bit when put in bags.

Some people say the TackleWarehouse ones have the same form factor, but I've seen those deteriorate faster than the new Shimano ones.

Any recommendations of something that size? And they don't need to come with boxes either. God knows I have enough 3700 form factors.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Backpacks

Post by PotatoLake » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:49 am

I've had my eye on the Deps backpack, but haven't pulled the trigger. Looks like its a fairly decent size.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:29 am

15 years is a good run for a tackle bag. I wouldn't expect anything made nowadays to last anywhere near that long. Today's society wants new every couple years, and not many manufacturers are gonna put the extra into their products to last any longer. Really why would they? It's really a shame.

I have a bag from Evolution, it's maybe 3 or 4 years old? It's still in great shape, I'm very happy with it so far, but to be fair, it doesn't see a lot of heavy use. I started using smaller/lighter bags put together for specific uses/locales. I'll leave the big bag in the car while I walk out on the jetty or pier with a small bag with just what I might need. Only once have I ever had to walk back to the car to get something out of the big bag. (Dropped a spool of leader and it rolled right off edge into water. Derp.)

Being out on a boat is a different story, the whole thing usually goes.

Good luck in finding the right bag. It can be frustrating.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:54 pm

I was looking for a bank beater backpack that stood upright and someone on here recommended the Osprey Tropos. I got it and it works perfectly for me...internal frame so it stands up even in sand/uneven ground, great straps/back panel and I would imagine better ergos than any "fishing tackle" backpack. 2 mesh water bottle pockets and a host of internal pockets that work perfectly for my usage.

My last Osprey pack is still going strong after 14 years, and that thing's been through the ringer lol.

JDM_Guy2
Angler
Angler

Post by JDM_Guy2 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:20 pm

I have the tackle warehouse bag and it's been holding up pretty well. Fits plenty of gear.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:07 pm

For lighter duty fishing and backpacking, the Caperlan 3 in 1 bag has been very good for me. Has 3 different ways to use the bag, 15L capacity, and has a small little hip/chest attachment. Has been a great bag so far.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:47 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:54 pm
I was looking for a bank beater backpack that stood upright and someone on here recommended the Osprey Tropos. I got it and it works perfectly for me...internal frame so it stands up even in sand/uneven ground, great straps/back panel and I would imagine better ergos than any "fishing tackle" backpack. 2 mesh water bottle pockets and a host of internal pockets that work perfectly for my usage.

My last Osprey pack is still going strong after 14 years, and that thing's been through the ringer lol.
Damn, I need to check out that backpack.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:35 pm

I have a tackle warehouse bag last me 6/7 years and still great and no straps ripped.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:24 am

Get a hiking backpack, seriously. All of the fishing backpacks stink unless you spend the money on a Simms, Patagonia, or Fishpond. I use an Osprey Talon 22L for day trips. It holds all of my tackle, a change of clothes, food, and water. The best part about a hiking backpack is the suspension system, it puts the weight on your hips and not your shoulders. This makes them very easy to wear over extended periods. I've spent an entire day in my Talon without fatigue. Another redeeming factor is they aren't overly compartmentalized, they're wide open on the inside so you will have zero wasted space.