What sunglasses are you rocking?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What sunglasses are you rocking?

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 am

Interested to hear what yall are wearing. Used the Oakely Jawbreakers the whole season last year, and while they're made for cycling, they're awesome for fishing as well.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What sunglasses are you rocking?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 am

Which lens are you using? I use Oakley Turbine with Shallow Water Prizm lenses and the majority of my fishing is sightfishing, so this is one of the most important tools I use. Also own Costa, and prefer the Oakleys for frame fit and polarization.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:15 am

Oakley Pitbulls Black Iridium Polarized lens

Imagepbcrappie2 by r w, on Flickr

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:27 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 am
Which lens are you using? I use Oakley Turbine with Shallow Water Prizm lenses and the majority of my fishing is sightfishing, so this is one of the most important tools I use. Also own Costa, and prefer the Oakleys for frame fit and polarization.
Rocking the Prizm Sapphire Polarized. They have this very light bronze/brown tint that is awesome to spot bass on beds.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:12 pm

Costa Fantails, green tint.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:23 pm

I recently learned something about sunglasses and how they interact with Fishing Electronics. There is a company that makes Sunglass just for use with Sonars like Humminbird, Garmin, ect... I forgot the name, because it made me realize that they were selling partially unpolarized sunglasses.

I did some research and found this from Wayne Purdam.

"LCR screens have the pixels aligned at 90 degrees either from left top to right bottom or right top to left bottom.
Your polarized lenses are aligned horizontal-that is how they reduce reflected glare. When looking at the screen directly, you are loosing about 1/2 of the light transmission. If you tilt your head either left or right, you can align your glasses with the display so it will look brighter.

That last time I checked a lot of sonar displays for the polarization affect this is what I discovered: Humminbird and Lowrance displays are aligned from top right to bottom left. Garmin displays are the opposite.

If you have your L or H display to the right of the console you tend to tilt your head to the right when viewing the display. That will make the display darker. To offset that, tilt your display some with the right side lower and your screen will darken less. The more tilt, the less light you loose."

I also read that the Mil spec for some Military Sunglass require non-polarized so that displays can be read. I makes sense since often I cannot see my phone or the heads up display in my car with my high end polarized glasses.

Now I am using non-polarized glasses on my boat while looking at my Humminbird M-360, mega live, SI, DI and Sonar.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 pm

Comfort is extremely important when you are on the water from sun-up to sun-down. I've owned most brands out there. I like the clarity of glass polarized lenses, but the weight and poor fitting frames would give me headaches. Oakley shades were always ugly as hell to me and I never even considered them. Strangely, my friend and local bike shop owner asked me to try on some Flak Jackets to see if they were polarized because he couldn't tell which shades were polarized in his Oakley case. I didn't know at the time that the Oakley lenses say Polarized on them. They were so light and comfortable that I bought the pair that I tried on. I haven't looked back. The Oakley lenses aren't the clearest and they scratch easy. I prefer the Fuse aftermarket lenses because they have better clarity, better scratch resistance, and are about half the price. Stay away from the mirror lenses because the fish can often see them because they do reflect more. I'm a fan of grey lenses because they don't change the colors much, but try different colors to see what works on your local waters. I've got about half-a-dozen frames with different colors, but standard grey lenses are my go-to 99% of the time. I love my yellow lenses for early morning runs.
Last edited by toddmc on Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 am

Maui Jim's with HT lens. Glass lenses are best.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:02 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 am
Interested to hear what yall are wearing. Used the Oakely Jawbreakers the whole season last year, and while they're made for cycling, they're awesome for fishing as well.
I been wanting to get the Jawbreakers with a polarized Rx lens. I have inserts I can use but, I have to do mods and they also make the sunglasses sit off my face a little
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:02 pm

Costa Del Mar Man o War 580g green mirror for bright days and Smith Challis chromapop amber mirror for overcast days.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:20 pm

I'm Korean...we have big ass heads man. I know some of you guys think you have a big head, but Korean people have BIG noggins.

I randomly came across a pair of TAG Heuer sunglasses that were polarized that fit amazingly well...first pair of sunglasses that I could wear for more than a couple hours without a headache. But then the frames started deteriorating and they're all handmade sunglasses; so even others that I tried within the same line didn't fit like the ones that I had.

I recently started wearing Goodr BFGS. They're comfortable and stay in place but if you're not wearing a big hat, then the sun gets behind the glasses and they don't work well.

I did have a pair of Costas with 580 glass lenses, but they're so heavy that I could only wear them for a short period of time. Not to mention the frames are not all that well made...but boy those lenses are amazing!

I do want to get myself a pair of Maui Jims, but I just hate spending so much money on sunglasses ](*,) ](*,)

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:21 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:02 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:11 am
I been wanting to get the Jawbreakers with a polarized Rx lens. I have inserts I can use but, I have to do mods and they also make the sunglasses sit off my face a little
The Jawbreakers themselves are pretty amazing. I like them more for fishing than cycling :laugh1:

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:23 am

godshippy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:20 pm
I'm Korean...we have big ass heads man. I know some of you guys think you have a big head, but Korean people have BIG noggins.

I randomly came across a pair of TAG Heuer sunglasses that were polarized that fit amazingly well...first pair of sunglasses that I could wear for more than a couple hours without a headache. But then the frames started deteriorating and they're all handmade sunglasses; so even others that I tried within the same line didn't fit like the ones that I had.

I recently started wearing Goodr BFGS. They're comfortable and stay in place but if you're not wearing a big hat, then the sun gets behind the glasses and they don't work well.

I did have a pair of Costas with 580 glass lenses, but they're so heavy that I could only wear them for a short period of time. Not to mention the frames are not all that well made...but boy those lenses are amazing!

I do want to get myself a pair of Maui Jims, but I just hate spending so much money on sunglasses ](*,) ](*,)
You should try some asian fit oakleys. Lots of models to try, won't be hard to find a pair that fits you.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:38 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:23 am
godshippy wrote:

You should try some asian fit oakleys. Lots of models to try, won't be hard to find a pair that fits you.
I tried a couple and they didn't fit well. They're just not wide enough is the issue that I run into.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 pm

godshippy wrote:

Have you tried for fit Maui Jim Big Wave?