Is gore Tex rain gear worth the extra $$

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is gore Tex rain gear worth the extra $$

Post by Obz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 pm

I feel like I spend enough time on the water to justify nice rain gear. Just wondering if it's worth it to pay extra for gore-tex? I've done a good amount of research and everything is dwr coated anyway. That stuff will wear off. 3L she'll seems to be the way to go for waterproofness and durability. So are u better off just buying dwr coated PVC more frequently? It seems like u can get decent stuff for 500 or pay 1k for gore-tex. Does gore_tex keep you noticably dryer or last noticably longer?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is gore Tex rain gear worth the extra $$

Post by Obz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:09 pm

Kind of off topic but I have a friend who does a lot extreme hiking like 100's of miles at time. He claims gore-tex or any of these "breathable waterproof fabrics" do not actually breath when they are wet. My response is that it isn't always raining when your wearing the gear and rubber rain suites are uncomfortable. But interesting point he brought up.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:58 pm

I know Gore-Tex is nice. Breathable, lighter and stays dry. If moving around, definitely nice to have.

If standing in a boat, breathability may not be as important. You can also get rain gear with zippered armpits to get breathability. I run a North Face rain jacket for rain and also as a cold weather shell. Haven't had a huge issue with breathability in general but, definitely not with the zippered pita undone a little. Carrying a heavy pack, it will trap moisture (condensation from body) a little on the shoulders. That jacket does not have Gore-Tex and wasn't too expensive (got it from an outlet store).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 am

I have had a few rain suits over the last 10 years. The best one I have used so far is Cabela's Guidewear Xtreme with GORE-TEX. I purchased the bibs and jacket for around $500 last year. I've used it several times last season and it kept me bone dry. It's comfortable and breathable and I couldn't be happier with it. For $1000 set, your getting into high end stuff. Hopefully for that price, it lasts many years.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:48 am

I'm not big fan of Goretex, because it should be washed too often. Swet clogs breathability of Goretex fast. But washing it and activating Goretex again in a dryer drum (or sauna) and then it's new again. Yes, there's points of Goretex, but in a good Goretex jacket should be good ventilation holes at least in armpits, because it's not that breathable. In my opinion Goretex is the best when wind blows hard, because it keeps wind total off.

Usually I prefer my British Army C95 Windproof smock, which tolerates also mild rain. If in Weather Forecast is said possible thunder showers, I take light rain poncho to my backpack.

If I am going fishing when it should rain all the time, then PVC rain coat with Sydwest hat is in my opinion best choise. But Goretex trouses I use still.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:28 pm

Made two 3-day canoe trips with Cabela's Guidewear GORE-TEX in the 90s. Breatheability was super-important on a long portage where sun was interspersed with showers, but also appreciated during intermittent showers just fishing in the canoe (where the angler in the bow risks tipping the canoe if attempting to remove bibs).

In a bass boat where it's no big deal to remove rain gear and put back on as needed, less expensive gear is adequate for me.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:13 pm

I have the BPS 100mph bibs and jacket, and I've only worn it in the rain 1 time. I've worn it during cold winter days when guides are icing up and they've worked really well at keeping me warm and comfortable.

But lately...since California doesn't have much rain, I've just been wearing better base layers and a nice puff jacket with "outdoor" pants or jeans and Columbia rainproof pants (the kind that you would keep in your golf bag). I feel like I have more mobility and it's lighter weight because the Goretex stuff is kinda heavy.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:50 pm

Gortex is great. Only type of rain gear we used in the USMC infantry, and for a good reason.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:14 am

I purchased a set of Cabela's Guidewear GORE-TEX (parka/bibs) in 2011. And after more than 10 years, the set continues to keep me warm and dry through rain (when we get some in California) and some fairly chilly weather during the California winter. I purchased the uninsulated version so that I could add a layer or two underneath the Guidewear if needed. Otherwise, the set is comfortable when warm and raining.

The key to the longevity of my Guidewear has been regular use (2-3 times per year) of Nixwax TechWash for cleaning and TX.Direct Wash to renew water repellency and revive breathability. The 10 years and ongoing use of my Guidewear is the best example of the products' effectiveness. Available at Amazon for a reasonable price.
https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/h ... l-duopack/

Regards,
Doc

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:44 am

I really like Gore-Tex. I have and I have had many G-T Rain jackets.

That said, my two favourite jackets for fishing in rainy weather are previous gen. Patagonia River Salt Jacket and the Fjällraven Eco Shell Jacket - both have great pockets and are very water and wind resistant without G-T.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:42 pm

My experience with rain gear is that beside the materials, the design and manufacturer plays a bigger factor. A Gore-tex rain coat designed and made by a mediocre manufacturer would probably be worse off than a rain coat made by a good manufacturer but with other breathable fabric that is not Gore-Tex. I've had good experiences with Simms, Arc'teryx and Patagonia. Simms and Arc'teryx uses mostly Gore-Tex for most of their ranges of rain jacket but Patagonia uses their own breathable materials, and I find all their product to be functional and durable.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:47 am

I have a The North Face rain jacket is is pretty decent, I think under $100 MSRP. Some rubbery interior with pores that is breathable for the most part. The zippered pits really help with ventilation. Have to wear a long sleeve under it because that material on skin sucks.

Serves it's purpose.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing