Tatula Hate vs newer shimanos

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Tatula Hate vs newer shimanos

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Do Shimano guys get frustrated that they use similar frames for all their reels? Or is it just Tatula guys that were once Zillion variant, Red Fuego, Steez, Sol/Alphas, Pixy fans. I get that the frame styles and the (uggghhh... :roll: ) name, Tatula, leave something to be desired, but as a Daiwa fan I see the same thing when looking at other branded reels. Especially, Shimano right now.

If I am wrong fine. Hoping the Shim boys will educate me.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula Hate vs newer shimanos

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm

I personally have not been impressed with anything Shimano or Daiwa in the "workhorse" range. Ive been more satisfied overall with Doyo products.
<")))><{

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm

Very satisfied with my Bantams Metaniums and Aldebarans.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 am

Put all of my reels in the new Bantam/Met frames. I wouldn't be mad at all.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 am

To me its the tatula name that's wore out more than anything. There are so many versions of the tatula now I think daiwa has confused themselves and their customers. On Daiwa's US site there are 8 versions of tatula named reels not including the 2 coastals which are just flashy tatula's. Tatula's are solid reels and I never had an issue with them but I do think they went a bit crazy with the tatula program.

But hey if its making them money that's all that's going to matter to them.

Personally I don't think Shimano is near the level of the way the tatula is played out. If you compare it to the curado there is really just the curado and the tranx 200 on the same frame, the chronarch, metanium, antares, aldebaran, bantam and the 70 sized curados are on their own frame. The SLX is following a bit of a tatula path with a few different versions out.

Doyo reels "Abu and Lews" however I think are worse than Daiwa when it comes to using the same frames out as there are only a couple different frames in the entire lineup. They just give it a different color scheme add or remove bearings and call it something else.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm
I personally have not been impressed with anything Shimano or Daiwa in the "workhorse" range. Ive been more satisfied overall with Doyo products.
Who’s designing for Doyo these days?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 pm
Do Shimano guys get frustrated that they use similar frames for all their reels? Or is it just Tatula guys that were once Zillion variant, Red Fuego, Steez, Sol/Alphas, Pixy fans. I get that the frame styles and the (uggghhh... :roll: ) name, Tatula, leave something to be desired, but as a Daiwa fan I see the same thing when looking at other branded reels. Especially, Shimano right now.

If I am wrong fine. Hoping the Shim boys will educate me.
I don't see it. From the SLX up each Shimano lower profile reel has it's own platform. With Daiwa it is Tatula 100, Tatula CT platform and old box Tatula platform then there are Steez and Alphas reels.

If it is not a Steez or Alphas then it is some sort of Tatula.

Steez:
Steez TW SV
Steez A
19Morethan PE
Steez CT

Alphas:
Alphas
Alphas TW

Tatulas:
Tatula
Tatula CT
Tatula 100
Tatula 150
Tatula 200
Tatula 300
Coastal 150
Coastal 200
HRF PE Special

Things derived from Tatulas:
Zillion TW HD
Zilllion TW SV
Catalina TW

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:58 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Doyo makes Quantum and Abu reels to the mfgr's specs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:09 pm

Johnny A wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Doyo. They are their own manufacturer that makes many brands as you know of as Abu Garcia, Lews, BPS, Pflueger, and many other internal parts for other companies.
<")))><{

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm
Johnny A wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Doyo. They are their own manufacturer that makes many brands as you know of as Abu Garcia, Lews, BPS, Pflueger, and many other internal parts for other companies.
I know who Doyo is and what they do, Banax as well. I can’t tell you about Quantum but I do know Abu designs/engineers their own products. Very few reels are manufactured by the name on the badge. Even Daiwa and Shimano are offshoring some of the manufacturing. The REVOs didn’t generate spontaneously on some South Korean product farm.
Abu and Fenwick maintain a modicum of respect around the world, even if Americans are snobbish about the whole thing.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:39 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
I know who Doyo is and what they do, Banax as well. I can’t tell you about Quantum but I do know Abu designs/engineers their own products. Very few reels are manufactured by the name on the badge. Even Daiwa and Shimano are offshoring some of the manufacturing. The REVOs didn’t generate spontaneously on some South Korean product farm.
Abu and Fenwick maintain a modicum of respect around the world, even if Americans are snobbish about the whole thing.
Quantum is made by Banax.
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:54 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 am
Johnny A wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Yes, Quantum is currently made by Banax, but Doyo made their reels for a number of years. Quantum even had some high-end reels made in Japan back around the turn of the century. They were excellent reels, too. I had the Energy 860PTxm, really great reel, though it was heavy.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquante860ptxm.html
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Could you buy me another Antares so I could be a bit more impressed :big grin:
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:48 pm

........serious. Doyo? :roll:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:17 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:54 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:22 am
Johnny A wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

Yes, Quantum is currently made by Banax, but Doyo made their reels for a number of years. Quantum even had some high-end reels made in Japan back around the turn of the century. They were excellent reels, too. I had the Energy 860PTxm, really great reel, though it was heavy.
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquante860ptxm.html
Quantum and some Pure Fishing products are just more fine examples of when number-crunchers save pennies and cost millions. But it’s never their fault when the company slowly goes belly up. The American consumer is another big part of the equation. Most people would rather pay $69.99 four times than $159.99 once.