Egg Snaps with Braid

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Post Reply
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3983
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm

Does anyone use them?
I was thinking about how much easier it would be to go from a swim jig to toptoad with the forked hooks. Maybe even use it with a Stanley Ribbit Toad
IDK just an idea. I am certain not for a frog stick due to the violent hook set but maybe with the smaller Khera frog? Looking for feedback
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by Houndfish » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm
Does anyone use them?
I was thinking about how much easier it would be to go from a swim jig to toptoad with the forked hooks. Maybe even use it with a Stanley Ribbit Toad
IDK just an idea. I am certain not for a frog stick due to the violent hook set but maybe with the smaller Khera frog? Looking for feedback
Last year I started experimenting with using decoy egg snaps on my frog rod. The reason I did it were to facilitate easier switching between different frog styles as I’m hiking along and encounter different types of cover and to make most any frog walk easier with less then ideal rod positioning.

So far it’s been pretty successful, I’ve never had an instance where the snap has opened up and in almost every type of cover the frog seems to come through just the same.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3983
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm
goldrod wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm
Does anyone use them?
I was thinking about how much easier it would be to go from a swim jig to toptoad with the forked hooks. Maybe even use it with a Stanley Ribbit Toad
IDK just an idea. I am certain not for a frog stick due to the violent hook set but maybe with the smaller Khera frog? Looking for feedback
Last year I started experimenting with using decoy egg snaps on my frog rod. The reason I did it were to facilitate easier switching between different frog styles as I’m hiking along and encounter different types of cover and to make most any frog walk easier with less then ideal rod positioning.

So far it’s been pretty successful, I’ve never had an instance where the snap has opened up and in almost every type of cover the frog seems to come through just the same.
Thanks
I’m going to try it tomorrow
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

Real
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by Real » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 am

I think snaps are very practical for crankbaits and hard surface lures but not for jigs or frogs. They are heavy enough to make the frog tip heavy and not perform well. They also grab moss when fishing in vegetation.

Houndfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 782
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by Houndfish » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Real wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 am
I think snaps are very practical for crankbaits and hard surface lures but not for jigs or frogs. They are heavy enough to make the frog tip heavy and not perform well. They also grab moss when fishing in vegetation.
That’s what I thought at first, but the little #3 decoy snaps are very very light, ~0.006oz.

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Decoy-Eg ... eggsnp.htm

They’re also very round it without any real protruding edges, I have noticed no difference in snagging or vegetation pick up in anything other than heavy duckweed and even then it’s fairy minor compared to how much the frog It’s self picks up during the retrieve.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by mark poulson » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Real wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:02 am
I think snaps are very practical for crankbaits and hard surface lures but not for jigs or frogs. They are heavy enough to make the frog tip heavy and not perform well. They also grab moss when fishing in vegetation.
That’s what I thought at first, but the little #3 decoy snaps are very very light, ~0.006oz.

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Decoy-Eg ... eggsnp.htm

They’re also very round it without any real protruding edges, I have noticed no difference in snagging or vegetation pick up in anything other than heavy duckweed and even then it’s fairy minor compared to how much the frog It’s self picks up during the retrieve.
Those look really good. Thanks.

I wonder if they will work on a chatterbait?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3983
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Egg Snaps with Braid

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:38 pm

I have those and use them exclusively for top water.
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

Post Reply