Super tough bite! Help

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Super tough bite! Help

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am

I’ve been coming to a cottage in northern Ontario for 12 years now. Its on a beauty little lake that is super clear, and perfect for swimming but locating and picking up fish has always been tougher but still successful. This year we’ve located schools of smallies off an island that’s a rock ledge that goes from 20-60ft. They seem to be hanging around in the 33-45’ range and for the life of me I can’t seem to get them to bite!

Water temps are pretty high, last couple years we found them again in the 40-50’ range and were smoking them on weightless t-rig senko’s. sure it took a while but anything with weight and they just didn’t seem to bite.

This year I’ve tried everything from tubes, drop shot (worms live and plastic, keitechs), Ned rig, senkos both wacky and t-rig, Neko rig and still can’t find the bite. Had 1 3.75lber grab a tube but that’s it!

Some help would be great!!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Super tough bite! Help

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 am

Have you tried a weighted Swimbait?
I know you said weighted lures were unproductive but
I’ve found that zappu pile driver on a soft Swimbait like a skinny dipper or even a fluke style bait really produces on the fall.
That blade has a twist in it that cause flash on the drop as well as the retrieve.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Suspended fish in clear water means free-lining a fat nightcrawler on very thin line. Even a splitshot or 2 is too much-you have to find the patience to wait it out. Once you get a couple, the school will usually fire up and you will have fish trying to steal artificials out of the mouth of hooked fish. A big school of smallmouths is like a wolfpack....the bloodlust is contagious.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Maybe try dropping a spoon down and try getting one to react.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 am

Try a spybait

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am

I have had success on schooling smallies using a soft swimbait on a 3/4oz jighead. Count it down and reel it back with a painfully slow retrieve. Also, try a 1oz spoon. Get over top of the school, jig it at the depth they are holding at, and see if they respond to it.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 am

I never tried a spoon, it didn’t even cross my mind! I did try a spy bait with some success in other areas of the lake but nothing too great.

I’ve never had much success on a swimbaits. I throw kietechs, dark sleepers, and jackall rhythm wave. I’m wondering if I’m fishing them wrong, wrong sizes, wrong heads or hooks. But I can’t get bite on a soft swimbaits

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Are icejigs an option?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am

njbasscat wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 am
I have had success on schooling smallies using a soft swimbait on a 3/4oz jighead. Count it down and reel it back with a painfully slow retrieve. Also, try a 1oz spoon. Get over top of the school, jig it at the depth they are holding at, and see if they respond to it.
Ive seen so many videos on spooning that I thought I had it down.
I guess my patience or stamina isn't what it used to be cause after a few hours I tapped out
I didnt even get a nibble. but I've been trying it more this year.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Ever try a hair jig? Throw it out, let it sink. Reel 5 or 6 times quickly to get it to 'hop' off the bottom and fall. Thank me after :-)

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:50 am

I would try a spybait and an underspin with a small swimbait style bait. What type of baitfish are in this particular lake?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Try a finesse worm wacky rigged. Something with greater natural action than a Senko, such as flick shake or similar worm. Try a 1/8 oz wacky head. Like Tim said, be patient. Add a small nail weight if absolutely necessary. I like to add a willow blade or skirt to one end of the worm for added appeal.
Drop that Rhythm Wave. Add just enough weight - only if completely necessary. Don't even bother swimming it back. Just drop it into the masses, and hope they will grab it on the fall, just like the flick shake.
These are my methods when conditions are tough. I also like to split shot a Keitech Crazy Flapper. With all 3 baits, you want them to fall as slowly as possible, so the weight aspect is critical.
Have you tried or considered adding some attractant?