What have you gotten back fishing?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What have you gotten back fishing?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:46 pm

There was an interesting thread about beloved items lost while fishing, so I figured I would ask about what things people have retrieved. I swam on a hot summer day once to get a good crank, local clear clean lake though, the crank was stuck just about 6ft down. I also used to push really hard to get tungsten back. Fought with a spybait snagged one time for 10 minutes and finally freed it, was as pumped as catching a fish to get it back. I have also quick grabbed a rod or 2 out of the water before they sank.

Does anyone have any happy endings to losing a rod or reel? I know at least some of the responses for "what have you lost while fishing" at least attempted to get equipment back.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What have you gotten back fishing?

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:42 am

Should be some interesting stories in here...

A old mate of mine cast a lure out and subsequently snagged it proper... Cast the exact same lure out in the vicinity and lone behold he come up with the other original lure which was snagged - no fight with the second lure as to be snagged again - like miraculously hook to hook it connected and he wound it in...

Ive gone in after lures lost at our Gold Coast Seaway and come back out with upgrades... Always worth a look...

Ive never lost a rod and reel but have heard of others winding in fish once caught, with a rod and reel still connected to said fish (Freshwater dams) and after a bit of a scrub and polish the reels and rods go back into use. I was quiet jealous of one of these reels as it was a Stradic Ci4 F and the anodised spool surface etc was discoloured and in such a way that looked really retro / unique.
Last edited by Slazmo on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 am

Got this one back year after it snapped off on cast.

B8A5300F-D7AB-47A4-9AAA-F70DEE97590E.jpeg
B8A5300F-D7AB-47A4-9AAA-F70DEE97590E.jpeg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 7864 times

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 am

I snagged an old anchor line and pulled up an anchor I still have and use sometimes.

And once I caught a bass that came with a nice Sebile lure still hooked in his mouth. I bet he was glad to be rid of that one as much as I was to have it.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 am

Once had three rods and reels fly off the deck when we hit a big wave, caught all three in one hand one between each finger. I would not have been able to replace them at that time.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:03 am

My sanity.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:54 am

I've caught about half a dozen rod and reel combos over the decades. One in the early 90's was a nice Fenwick Eagle rod and Shimano baitcaster combo that I quickly took home and tuned. A guy in my bass club paid me a good chunk of change for it.
I managed to kick over a custom high end spinning combo from the deck of my boat a few years ago. Fortunately, it was only about 15 feet deep with a fairly clean bottom. I was able to jig it up with a Hopkins spoon on the third or fourth try. :D I use my rod tie downs on the front deck of my boat a lot more after that incident. I try to keep as few rods on the deck as possible, but it's not uncommon for me to have close to $10,000 worth or rods on my front deck when I am trying to feel the bite out in the beginning of the day. Being an enthusiast can be awfully scary when the water gets rough! ;) I can't stand watching the guys on tv fish with the rods on the deck dangling over the side. ](*,)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:39 am

Good stories so far, I know there are a ton out there. Once fishing at Lake Dardanelle with friend he decided to go under a barrier to retrieve an A-rig. He left me on the front of the boat and said just grab it fast once we get up there. There were actually 2 barriers/buoys, one we had to go under, and the other we were stuck on heading into the power plant. Once we got up there, I had a fish grip and grabbed the A-rig; it came loose easy from the barrier's fabric/plastic shell. I hollered STOP though because I saw an absolute plethora of lures, new and old, hung on the barrier. He left anyways because he said power plant security gets really mad, but I will never forget all the blades flashing and potentially hundreds of free crankbaits dangling there just for the taking...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 pm

I've gotten good at snagging hardbaits back. Sometimes I even get a bonus!

Not just a killer wake/swim bait, the Kawashi Mikey is indispensable for retrieving lost topwaters.

I've gone back to spots where I'd lost a crank or something else to find them right there for the taking. That's always nice.
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 am

@poisionokie- now that's a catch! LOL.

I haven't been as fortunate as some of you, besides Dellenif- right on!