Help with wire to mono knot

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help with wire to mono knot

Post by bigturtle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

Im having a ton of trouble with tying mono (8-17lb) to a titanium leader (knot2kiny, 25lb), using an albright knot.

I pinch the wire to form a bend, mono in between the bend, wrap 5-8 times around, back through the hole in the same way it came in.
Wet the thing and pull. And it breaks. Always at the knot, always breaks around 6-7lbs (pulled with a scale).

Im stuck. I see videos of people doing it this way and my knots just dont hold. I want to use this titanium leader for bass fishing in pike infested waters.
Anyone have experience tying the wire directly to main line can offer some tips? I dont want to add snaps or swivels, just lure, wire, line.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help with wire to mono knot

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:07 am

I would expect that the wire's too thin and is cutting the mono. You need something to make the transition, so whether it's a swivel, solid ring or whatever you probably have to use something, or use thicker wire.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBL94A4CHMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACN_KdViG8

just 2 examples, but they seem to have no problem tying directly to line. I tried many different main line types and lb, but none help but remotely close to acceptable levels, with most breaking at around 6-8lb. I just don't get it, what am i doing wrong? Or is this all a lie :(

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I've never had any luck doing an albright from braid to wire, the wire definitely cuts the braid. With mono it works for me if the diameters are larger enough, but too fine wire or mono and it is a weak connection.