I Can't Explain It

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

I Can't Explain It

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Got off to a very late start today and left the house only to get on the water about 1400.
Its cold for Florida to me, but the light coming through the blinds said that the sun was doing its job. Anyways, I make it to the boat ramp when the guy coming in said he only had one bite and it was a warmouth. I already had a game plan so I proceeded to dismiss what i was told by the other angler. I was pitching a jig on braid and soaking it but wasn't getting hit no matter what i did. I decided to do something I haven't learned to do which was to rig a Jackall cover craw, backwards so that it glides away from me. I
am fishing it weightless per say with the exception of a nail weight in the bottom of it. It does not come through cover as good as I liked it to so, I just pitch it to isolated cover. BAM. Fish for days, but I didn't hook a one. I was getting bites I am talking the bites that the fish aren't just tugging on your line but on your arm and by the wrist. I was using a Ringa 7.2:1 gears St. Croix Legend #20 Floro.VMC 5/0 hook EWG. I was getting bites , there was one that hit it in the pads and swam across the bow of the boat going into deeper water. I can't explain how or why I missed that fish on the hook set. I changed hooks for sure and hope to get back out there. I am glad to have gotten some bites but man, I didnt get one ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I dont know what I was doing wrong, what i did noticed was all my bites were coming on the edge of the lilypad on a flat with deep water adjacent to it. I had brought some RPE loPro tungsten weights in 1/2 on a beaver and missile baits destroyer and save your money is all Im going to say about that. Im also using a stately big nasty jig. This is the upgrade to the last time they brought this jig out. I went to buy more but they are sold out in the 3/4 size, if that is any indication of how good they are then I may get some more just in case. I am also using some new baits and line. I have some sunline defier line and its pretty good so far but man I feel like im only getting half a spool for the price.

If you rig your cover craw backwards and have any tips I am all ears.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I Can't Explain It

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I've never used a cover craw, but I've definitely had days like that when flipping d bombs. Of course that's with a 1/2 oz or better weight, so it's not the same, but still. They'd hit it, pull it, I'd try setting the hook and nothing. Over and over. Very frustrating. Sharp flipping hook, fluoro line, heavy/fast rod, soft bait... Should be no excuse.
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Went out today and NOTHING,
I was better prepared today and more focused. powered down my cell phone.

So I am going out tomorrow with four or five rods with JB on it.. one vision 11o. My first one ever so we'll see how that goes.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Jerk, jerk, pause, jerk, pause, jerk, jerk, pause, jerk, pause, ad infinitum...

They were biting here today, but I had less than an hour and I wanted to try out my new setup, so I didn't even bring the jerkbait combo. I'm certain it would've worked, though. I took a shaky head, too, and didn't even pick it up. Got a four day weekend and no time to fish. ](*,) :-({|=
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I just got into mag Shakey heads so I have the nrx with 1/4 Shakey head along for the ride.
I brought all sorts of Shakey heads from different manufacturers to see which I liked better

Got a 100 in Mat Shad along for the ride with deranged, dou 120 and 110sp’s and jackall squad minnow heck I even got an ima flit. Lol
Going after them tomorrow, deep clear lake.
ZPI M spool 10# test on deck.

I never a bite bad.
I even have a compact jig.
I just recently brought the drew benton jig 3/8 Oz and it comes threw pads excellently. I was dropping it in holes but no one was home so tomorrow is a different body of water and hopefully some fish will bite. They have to. I command it.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:17 pm

goldrod wrote:
Use a big round head nail weight on the non claw side of the bait, rig a shorter shank hook weedless about 3/4 ways down the craw where the hook eye and the claws would be pulling toward you. I tried this once on a bottle shrimp and the bait worked the way I think you want yours to work.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Use a big round head nail weight on the non claw side of the bait, rig a shorter shank hook weedless about 3/4 ways down the craw where the hook eye and the claws would be pulling toward you. I tried this once on a bottle shrimp and the bait worked the way I think you want yours to work.
I’ve got just the hook
Great information, thanks

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:49 am

Sorry; don’t know if you’re from FL. You sure those aren’t bigger sized gar swimming away with your jig? I’m away this week to get some cold for the holidays, but right before leaving home the gar bite was way outnumbering the bass. They just grab the bait and swim with it and hooking up with a jig style bait is rare. When they’re big they can tug quite well. Sorry if you’re used to that in FL as this is of no use.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:04 am

On a light bite I have to sometimes feed the fish a cover draw for a while. It's like they see it gliding and just nip the end of the bait and hold it for a while.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:Sorry; don’t know if you’re from FL. You sure those aren’t bigger sized gar swimming away with your jig? I’m away this week to get some cold for the holidays, but right before leaving home the gar bite was way outnumbering the bass. They just grab the bait and swim with it and hooking up with a jig style bait is rare. When they’re big they can tug quite well. Sorry if you’re used to that in FL as this is of no use.
All good information
What I do know is the bowfin will hold my bait especially when I bring it to the top of the pads
Underneath the water but at the top of the bottom of the pad. When you set the hook they go ballistic.
Could have been Gar though. I wish I’d stuck at least one.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:27 am

Awe dang...I remember one time I was in the mess of gar. It kept getting hard hits...fighting them half way to boat only to to get unbuttoned emptiness.

Till some live bait, and gar swallowed it and hooked.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:26 am

Biting the side of your bait, possibly just hitting the tail end of it. Had a similar day last week fishing for trout tons of bites but only hooked 1 out of many.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I used to have a blast with the Gar behind a pump station next to my old High School. Used a Chug Bug, and would pull them in left and right. Ah, the simple days. :lol:
<")))><{

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:14 pm

goldrod wrote:Got off to a very late start today and left the house only to get on the water about 1400.
Its cold for Florida to me, but the light coming through the blinds said that the sun was doing its job. Anyways, I make it to the boat ramp when the guy coming in said he only had one bite and it was a warmouth. I already had a game plan so I proceeded to dismiss what i was told by the other angler. I was pitching a jig on braid and soaking it but wasn't getting hit no matter what i did. I decided to do something I haven't learned to do which was to rig a Jackall cover craw, backwards so that it glides away from me. I
am fishing it weightless per say with the exception of a nail weight in the bottom of it. It does not come through cover as good as I liked it to so, I just pitch it to isolated cover. BAM. Fish for days, but I didn't hook a one. I was getting bites I am talking the bites that the fish aren't just tugging on your line but on your arm and by the wrist. I was using a Ringa 7.2:1 gears St. Croix Legend #20 Floro.VMC 5/0 hook EWG. I was getting bites , there was one that hit it in the pads and swam across the bow of the boat going into deeper water. I can't explain how or why I missed that fish on the hook set. I changed hooks for sure and hope to get back out there. I am glad to have gotten some bites but man, I didnt get one ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I dont know what I was doing wrong, what i did noticed was all my bites were coming on the edge of the lilypad on a flat with deep water adjacent to it. I had brought some RPE loPro tungsten weights in 1/2 on a beaver and missile baits destroyer and save your money is all Im going to say about that. Im also using a stately big nasty jig. This is the upgrade to the last time they brought this jig out. I went to buy more but they are sold out in the 3/4 size, if that is any indication of how good they are then I may get some more just in case. I am also using some new baits and line. I have some sunline defier line and its pretty good so far but man I feel like im only getting half a spool for the price.

I walked a bank yesterday morning throwing a 1/2oz dirty jig off of suspecting and unsuspecting neighbors docks and caught 3 decent ones in 25 min.; fun way to wake up and does not happen every morning. Went again this morning and nothing but bites, tugs, etc like you describe and not one hook set. Good amount of chop and dirty water but I'm throwing to areas with known beds. I'm thinking I just have to be persistent and will piss somebody off eventually to feel enough of a grasp for hookset, but no dice. So, I figure gar. Tied on the one treble bait I had in my pack to investigate and viola.
Attachments
IMG_9615.jpg
IMG_9615.jpg (145.19 KiB) Viewed 6093 times

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Sounds like the answer, by gar! :)