Casting vs. throwing your back out

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Casting vs. throwing your back out

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:07 pm

I have been traveling and I’m talking multiple 8 hour flights
And in that time when I was awake I would look at Japanese bass fishing videos on tube.
One thing I noticed is how they cast. I quickly realized that they don’t cast like their trying
to launch a missle but instead it’s an effortless cast. Making the reel work instead of their
back arm and shoulder. Just something I noticed and will implement to not be sore at the end of the day
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting vs. throwing your back out

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 am

That's why we want all these super light spools, sic guides, 12 different rod powers/tapers, thin/smooth lines, and all that. Nowadays, with all this modern tackle, I've noticed that most of the time bombing an all out hail Mary cast rarely results in much more distance than a smooth, effortless launch with the rod doing the work.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 am

Ive never heaved my casts. Rather I can do a roll type cast. My arms never tire as I use the rod and reel to do the task, as should be.
<")))><{

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 am

It all depends on water color and how close the fish are to you. There is no need to heave when you are in colored water and the fish are on isolated targets that you can get close to without spooking the fish. You had better be making the longest cast possible in clear water if you want to catch fish. Most of the Japanese videos that I have seen have anglers fishing small waters casting to specific targets instead of making long casts to schooling fish, or just trying to cover water. This type of fishing makes for much better viewing because you are not waiting for 10 seconds for their bait to come down. Either way, you shouldn't have to throw your back out if you have the right setup.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:51 am

We do a lot of long casting fishing huge grass flats in both salt and fresh, and setting your tackle up properly makes it a lot easier on the body. Getting the rod to load properly is the most important thing since most reels are pretty evenly matched, so we tend to use rods where the lure weight is closer to the upper limit of the rod than the lower end. This leads to having to do a little more homework on hook sizes and stuff so that you can be sure to still drive that hook home on a long cast. A lot of guys love their powerful rods, but they do work against you on occasion. A lot of the Japanese rods really load easily with the more moderate/flexible actions of their blanks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I heard the Curado DC was tuned to brake for how we cast in the US whatever that means. Shimano at least seems to acknowledge that there is a difference in casting technique between the US and Japan.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm

My longest casting setup is a 9'6 St Croix Legend Glass custom and a 12 Antares. I let the rod launch the cranks out. Nice smooth cast zip the lure out without much force. Forcing the cast gets me hardly and more distance, if any. I find when snap casting, I need more brakes to control the cast, which negates itself.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:41 pm

LowRange wrote:I heard the Curado DC was tuned to brake for how we cast in the US whatever that means. Shimano at least seems to acknowledge that there is a difference in casting technique between the US and Japan.
I thought that I was seeing things but it was obvious to me when watching the videos on the tube that there is definitely a difference.
It took me a while to see that they use shorter rods than we do in the US, I thought that it may have been attributed to their hieght.
Some of the things I saw them do I tried to do but it wasn’t working for me. Not saying that they’re wrong just acknowledging the
difference between the two countries.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:30 pm

goldrod wrote:
LowRange wrote:I heard the Curado DC was tuned to brake for how we cast in the US whatever that means. Shimano at least seems to acknowledge that there is a difference in casting technique between the US and Japan.
I thought that I was seeing things but it was obvious to me when watching the videos on the tube that there is definitely a difference.
It took me a while to see that they use shorter rods than we do in the US, I thought that it may have been attributed to their hieght.
Some of the things I saw them do I tried to do but it wasn’t working for me. Not saying that they’re wrong just acknowledging the
difference between the two countries.
Good point. Seems like the norm in the US is 7ft and in Japan, 7ft is like the size of their flipping rods. Most Japanese rods seem like 6'6 or 6'8 is the norm.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:We do a lot of long casting fishing huge grass flats in both salt and fresh, and setting your tackle up properly makes it a lot easier on the body. Getting the rod to load properly is the most important thing since most reels are pretty evenly matched, so we tend to use rods where the lure weight is closer to the upper limit of the rod than the lower end. This leads to having to do a little more homework on hook sizes and stuff so that you can be sure to still drive that hook home on a long cast. A lot of guys love their powerful rods, but they do work against you on occasion. A lot of the Japanese rods really load easily with the more moderate/flexible actions of their blanks.
=D> =D>

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:17 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:My longest casting setup is a 9'6 St Croix Legend Glass custom and a 12 Antares. I let the rod launch the cranks out. Nice smooth cast zip the lure out without much force. Forcing the cast gets me hardly and more distance, if any. I find when snap casting, I need more brakes to control the cast, which negates itself.
Very inline with my experience although I use an Evergreen 7'11' Skyscraper with a Zillion and an HLC spool.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:05 am

I believe even in clear water you do not have to make long cast. Accuracy plays more of a roll then distance. I fish a lot of clear water here in So Cal and I very seldom make super long cast. The longer the cast the less feel you have with your bait.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:57 am

big_gee wrote:I believe even in clear water you do not have to make long cast. Accuracy plays more of a roll then distance. I fish a lot of clear water here in So Cal and I very seldom make super long cast. The longer the cast the less feel you have with your bait.
I started deep cranking with briad and a long leader. Awesome feeling casting with a heavy wind and barely seeing your lure hit. Covers huge amount of water and ive noticed catchung more fish on the crank with the longer cast. The braid helps with the hookset and my rod and leader make up for the lack of stretch in the braid.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am

big_gee wrote:I believe even in clear water you do not have to make long cast. Accuracy plays more of a roll then distance. I fish a lot of clear water here in So Cal and I very seldom make super long cast. The longer the cast the less feel you have with your bait.
You must not be fishing the same lakes that I am fishing. Are you regularly catching bass over 5 pounds? Big bass have bigger eyes and better senses. Hence the need to be farther away. Why do you think swimbait rods are so long? Accuracy is also important, but it does not matter if the fish can see you.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm

It is very lake dependant. I think fish that hang around docks in crystal clear bodies of water with a lot of pleasure boat traffic acclimate to that environment and don't mind biting around boats and people. I can toss baits at docks 6 feet away and pull bass of all sizes out of it. I've even seen a good sized bass run up on my trolling motor and go nose to nose with it when I pointed it at a dock. It is like it wanted to challenge it or something but swam away when the prop kicked in. Okoboji Iowa large mouth bass don't seem to give boats a passing glance.